I'm not sold on Winston, but I don't think Andy Dalton is a miracle cure either, like some seem to think. (1 Viewer)

perret318

Runnin like a road lizard
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, there are cries for "Pull Winston!" everywhere (on here, on Twitter, on Reddit), and they may be justified, but that's not my point here. All those cries seem to think that putting in Dalton will immediately bring win after win. People seem to forget that Andy Dalton, while he might be a great option as a backup, is exactly that - a backup. And he's a backup for a reason. Ask yourself this: If Andy Dalton had never come to to Saints, would you be clamoring to trade for him and put him in for Winston? Yeah, he had a middling amount of success in the NFL, but I'd still put him in the "serviceable" category of NFL QB's.

Fun fact: Andy Dalton hasn't had an above-.500 season since 2015, and that includes a 2-11 season in 2019.

It's an easy fallacy to fall into with "the grass is always greener", but let's not make Andy Dalton out to be some sort of Heaven-sent savior.

It’s not a benching if Jameis is hurt. Nobody thinks Dalton is a savior. If he were he would’ve stuck with one of this prior teams. But he is a veteran. And it’s possible he may see some of the open receivers Jameis isn’t. At this point I just want to someone to help us avoid the embarrassment of handing a high 1st round pick to the Eagles.

We have no future at the QB position right now. I can’t see Dalton being any worse than what we are seeing now. We need a spark. We need something. Anything that changes the offense. What’s he gonna do…. Go 3 quarters throwing for negative yards…. Score negative first half points…. Really really really miss open receivers? I don’t think Dalton is some savior. He just needs to be a game manager that runs the offense and doesn’t lose games. Like Teddy was…. But with more talent around him. I think he might be able to do that. I’d like to see if he can at this point.

Winston has 4 broken vertebrae in his back. His passes are lacking accuracy and you can see that he is very uncomfortable in the pocket, as someone who is in pain would be. I don’t think Dalton is a magical savior. I do think for a couple of games while Winston heals Dalton can lead an efficient offense to keep the team competitive at least.

Yes, there are cries for "Pull Winston!" everywhere (on here, on Twitter, on Reddit), and they may be justified, but that's not my point here. All those cries seem to think that putting in Dalton will immediately bring win after win. People seem to forget that Andy Dalton, while he might be a great option as a backup, is exactly that - a backup. And he's a backup for a reason. Ask yourself this: If Andy Dalton had never come to to Saints, would you be clamoring to trade for him and put him in for Winston? Yeah, he had a middling amount of success in the NFL, but I'd still put him in the "serviceable" category of NFL QB's.

Fun fact: Andy Dalton hasn't had an above-.500 season since 2015, and that includes a 2-11 season in 2019.

It's an easy fallacy to fall into with "the grass is always greener", but let's not make Andy Dalton out to be some sort of Heaven-sent savior.
If we should look passed Winston’s past poor play then we have to do the same here. Not to mention Jamie’s always has had tremendous receivers, Andy, not so much. He’s had some decent ones but he’s also been surrounded by 💩 often.

There’s absolutely no doubt that Andy is a better fit for this current scheme. That isn’t a knock on Winston, but more a knock on Carmichael.

Andy Dalton is nowhere near a miracle cure… but he is healthy, and he knows how to read a defense… and he’s led teams to playoff appearances. Those things aren’t true for Winston.

The Saints just need a competent QB at this point… Dalton can be that.

Winston has shown he is not.
I have to agree this is a pretty good to the point statement. The problem I have with Winston is seeing still shots of Kamara sitting at the 10 yard line facing him and totally whiffs. It's decision making or lack of. I there wasn't a defender anywhere near AK and it most likely would have been a first down.

He had Trautman open and it's the same thing it's like he has his mind made up at the snap and can't change it .I think with Dalton there is a better chance he sees Kamara standing right in front of him.

It seems Winston is more suited to a old school Oilers run and shoot offense.

I 100 percent agree with this post people just won't support Winston no matter what, For most it's personal IMHO.

Last edited:
I 100 percent agree with this post people just won't support Winston no matter what, For most it's personal IMHO.
Andy Dalton’s past record and accomplishments as opposed to Winston’s makes him the better QB at this time. I thought that Dalton should have been the QB last year. He was the best free agent vet available last year and we waited one year too late. Time will prove this out. . Don’t be surprised when he gets his chance he lights it up. He never had a defense or weapons like this. I just hope Allen doesn’t wait too long and lets the season get away from him.

I literally haven't seen one person say Andy Dalton's gonna make us win constantly. I'm sure some ppl have since otherwise you wouldn't have phrased it like that but the overwhelming majority of ppl in Camp Andy want him on the field cuz Jameis is frickin abysmal right now and we wanna at least see what Andy can do since it would be very difficult for an offense who's averaged 12.3 ppg (outside of the ATL 4th quarter) with a top 3 in the league WR and RB in MT13 and Kamara, Jarvis, and Olave to get any worse. Also, he had 4 straight 10+ win seasons as a starter, something I doubt even 5% of starting QBs have ever done (by that, I mean 5% of every starting QB to have ever played, not 5% of current NFL starters since that would equal 1.6 dudes).

Lastly, you're proving your own point against you when you suggest the hypothetical situation of "Would we want Andy if he weren't already here?" because before JW's arrival he was largely considered a raving moron that we ridiculed as being the most turnover-prone QB the NFL has seen in decades and made thousands of crab-thieving jokes about him. Now a decent chunk of folks around here have his back and ONLY because he's their guy. If he had stayed with TB, you'd struggle to find anyone on this forum speaking well of him.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom