I'm not sold on Winston, but I don't think Andy Dalton is a miracle cure either, like some seem to think. (1 Viewer)

Jameis injury is not something that heals in a few weeks. In theory he might get more used to the pain he’s experiencing and be able to deal with it from that perspective but that’s about it. My main thing is if we’re going to continue to look for short pass concepts offensively, it doesn’t really matter if he’s hurt. He’s not that guy and he never has been. Jameis wants the homers, he doesn’t want to settle for a single. This offense is designed to take everything you can get and then punch it in.

TL;DR - Either the coaches have to Winston or Winston has to adapt to the coaches.

Start Dalton this Sunday

The outcome will be worse

Monday Fire Pete Carmichael, Ronald Curry and Doug Marrone

Start Winston the following week with new playcaller and win the division and head to the playoffs

It's an easy fallacy to fall into with "the grass is always greener", but let's not make Andy Dalton out to be some sort of Heaven-sent savior.

Andy Dalton is the healthier option right now. Saints can give Winston time to heal the back fractures by playing Dalton.

I have to agree this is a pretty good to the point statement. The problem I have with Winston is seeing still shots of Kamara sitting at the 10 yard line facing him and totally whiffs. It's decision making or lack of. I there wasn't a defender anywhere near AK and it most likely would have been a first down.

He had Trautman open and it's the same thing it's like he has his mind made up at the snap and can't change it .I think with Dalton there is a better chance he sees Kamara standing right in front of him.

It seems Winston is more suited to a old school Oilers run and shoot offense.

Is it possible Pete told him to take a shot??? Certainly Kamara was wide open and basically right in front of him. It is hard for me to believe he didn't see him.

Yes, there are cries for "Pull Winston!" everywhere (on here, on Twitter, on Reddit), and they may be justified, but that's not my point here. All those cries seem to think that putting in Dalton will immediately bring win after win. People seem to forget that Andy Dalton, while he might be a great option as a backup, is exactly that - a backup. And he's a backup for a reason. Ask yourself this: If Andy Dalton had never come to to Saints, would you be clamoring to trade for him and put him in for Winston? Yeah, he had a middling amount of success in the NFL, but I'd still put him in the "serviceable" category of NFL QB's.

Fun fact: Andy Dalton hasn't had an above-.500 season since 2015, and that includes a 2-11 season in 2019.

It's an easy fallacy to fall into with "the grass is always greener", but let's not make Andy Dalton out to be some sort of Heaven-sent savior.
Yeah, a friend was complaining about what a terrible move to resign Jameis was. I asked him what veteran QB was available and better and ready to start now (Pickett clearly isn't ready to start now if Trubisky is starting over him in PIT).

DEN gave up the farm to get Russell Wilson, who looks very much past his prime and not worth the price DEN paid so far. CLE also gave up a lot for Watson, who I didn't want for a variety of reasons. Jimmy G was available, but he's wildly inconsistent and was just part of the same turgid offensive display Wilson was a part of on Sunday night (plus Jimmy G got a safety accidentally running out his own endzone).

Jameis is a flawed QB playing through a serious injury with a weak OL. I can understand people calling for Dalton to let Jameis' injury heal. But as you say, Dalton has not been great in recent years in stints with DAL or CHI. He might be the better choice, but I don't think we're going to suddenly click and catch fire with him either (if they put him in and do go on a 6 game winning streak or something, by all means come back to this post and dunk on me).

Yes, there are cries for "Pull Winston!" everywhere (on here, on Twitter, on Reddit), and they may be justified, but that's not my point here. All those cries seem to think that putting in Dalton will immediately bring win after win. People seem to forget that Andy Dalton, while he might be a great option as a backup, is exactly that - a backup. And he's a backup for a reason. Ask yourself this: If Andy Dalton had never come to to Saints, would you be clamoring to trade for him and put him in for Winston? Yeah, he had a middling amount of success in the NFL, but I'd still put him in the "serviceable" category of NFL QB's.

Fun fact: Andy Dalton hasn't had an above-.500 season since 2015, and that includes a 2-11 season in 2019.

No one thinks Dalton is a miracle cure, but Winston sucks; that much is clear. Dalton made the pro bowl three times and has taken a team to the playoffs many times. He might return to that form. If he sucks, we’re no worse off than we are with Winston and at least we know they both suck and can make plans to look elsewhere.

I don’t trust Dalton, but one thing that stood out in preseason was he was able to hit those quick reads/throws with authority and accuracy. But how is his deep ball? He may not be that good if the defense can crowd the short area of the field like they did with Brees.

When an offense is struggling, the fan favorite is usually the backup qb. I don’t think Dalton would make a big difference, but if we continue to fail to score for most of the game, we will have to make a change.

No one thinks Dalton is THE guy, just a better guy at this time.
This. Exactly this. Nobody is saying that Andy Dalton is the chosen one. I don't think anyone honestly believes that Dalton would come in and promptly lead this team to the Super Bowl. Andy Dalton has never had the physical talent of a Jameis Winston and he certainly doesn't have it now at 34 years old. And honestly I don't know that Dalton gives the Saints a better chance to win.

All I know is that Andy Dalton couldn't be any worse. I think Winston is hurt more than he's letting on trying to tough it out. The dude has the heart to fight and I respect that. And he doesn't want to lose his job. I get it. I don't blame him. But at some point the staff has to make the best decision for the team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom