I'm not sure about Grant at DT (1 Viewer)

Grant isn't going to move to 3 tech full time. It will be situational. On passing downs Grant will move to 3 tech, Young moves to NT, Smith and McCray will be the stand up DEs. But only on passing downs. Grant will still be a DE. I think the entire will be rotated much more than they have been in the past. Ogreron likes to keep fresh legs in the game. I don't think we'll see Smith, Thomas, Young, Grant playing late into games and wearing down. Hopefully we'll also get a young playmaking DT in the draft too......

There is a reason Grant plays DE and not DL. This is not Madden, players play a position because they are good at them and you just can't switch them over to another position.

Grant may shift inside on passing downs and that may be a good thing, but don't think for a second that he can play inside on running downs. That is a totally different animal. We'll use Grant like we used to use Darren Howard and how the Giants use Justin Tuck (who is also a DE). If we are trying to generate an inside pass rush, it makes more sense to bring Grant up the middle than it does to go out and try to find a pass rushing DT (who honestly are few and far between). Now you get Grant and Young rushing from the inside and McCrary (insanely long) and Smith squeezing the pocket from the outside....that's a pretty good pass rush.

Grant may not be a sack artist but he did give up a measly 3.1 YPC on the right side last year. That was one of the best numbers in the NFL. I think the coaches may have went a bit overboard after 2006 trying to get a decent run defense out of our front 7. We need some youth at 3-Tech and NT and our line would be awesome. I wouldn't mind if the Saints spent 2nd/4th or 3rd/4th going after new DT's. Ideally, I'd love to see us swap to ~20 place in the 1st along with our 3rd and pick up an additional 2nd/4th type deal. That way we can grab a first round corner@20 then 1 DT/1 TE in the 2nd and another DT in the 4th.

Orgeron is going to play the 1 technique on rushing downs.

Are we talking about the drunken ramblings of posters on the forum or people who make these decisions in reality? He has already played at the DT spot before on obvious passing situations, so this is hardly groundbreaking conversations we're having here. Seems pretty pointless to me.

Perhaps I should start a thread about Randy Moss running deep routes?

Thank God someone said it. :9:

They mentioned moving him there in passing situations and then it steamrolled (all by posters) from there.

Just a situational passing down thing. He won't get blown off the line if guards are popping back into a pass protection stance. Weight will have less to do with it, speed and quickness is why he'd be moved inside. He might be fat, but he's not 6'4" 360 like some of those guards.

Thank God someone said it. :9:

They mentioned moving him there in passing situations and then it steamrolled (all by posters) from there.

the one time i saw him line-up at DT last year (not to saying it was his only time) he looked pretty damn good... i think it was a quick slant but Grant was right there in the QB's grill... just think of him as a poor man's Justin Tuck

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom