I'm not sure about Grant at DT (1 Viewer)

Grant Another Undreachiever From Uga

Someone Needs To Light A Fire Under Mr. Grant. He Got The Big Contract And Has Yet To Play Up To All Of The Hype He Recieved Going Into That Contract. This Is A Make It Or Break It Year For Him. I Think He Has Gotten The Message.

Oh goodie, another Grant to DT post. We have not had one of those for a while. While everyone is at it...do you think we change our uniforms this season? If we do change our uniforms, should we switch to a 3-4?

it's almost as if the New Thread function is being used to "bump"

I'll start a new one saying I disagree with the OP

Grant has gotten fat. At the same time though, he seems to be kind of light in the #ss end. Most DTs carry a lot of lower body weight and can get low...avoiding being run off the line. This is obviously a bigger issue in the running game though and I can see him being used at DT on definite passing downs in a type of "speed" package along w/ Smith (who also needs to slim down), Young, and McCray.

what y'all think?

I agree. I've been thinking for a while now that Grant is fat in the wrong place, meaning his gut. The gut doesn't tackle or make you faster or stronger.You might survive a concentration camp a bit longer, but other than that I see no benefits. You are absolutely right about being bigger in the lower end. If Grant were to take his job more seriously, he would lose the gut, lighten up, and get faster and leaner and could become a dominating DE, but if it was gonna happen it would have already.

Grant has gotten fat. At the same time though, he seems to be kind of light in the #ss end.
I think the football term here is small bubble.

I think Charles wil work out at DT, great move my by the coaches, Ed Orgernon can think on his toes

Plus, right next to Dorsey, he'd fit in great. Our sack totals would soar. Vilma might get upset only getting 17 to 18 sacks a year to the DLs 30 to 40. ;)

... I can see him being used at DT on definite passing downs in a type of "speed" package along w/ Smith (who also needs to slim down), Young, and McCray.

what y'all think?
He's never been discussed as being used any other way.

Oh goodie, another Grant to DT post. We have not had one of those for a while. While everyone is at it...do you think we change our uniforms this season? If we do change our uniforms, should we switch to a 3-4?

Sorry...yeah, if we make any change whatsoever to the uniforms this season, than one can only expect us to switch to a 3-4 defense...kinda goes w/o saying

He's been spoken of at DT...no specifics mentioned...that's what the thread is about.
Are we talking about the drunken ramblings of posters on the forum or people who make these decisions in reality? He has already played at the DT spot before on obvious passing situations, so this is hardly groundbreaking conversations we're having here. Seems pretty pointless to me.

Perhaps I should start a thread about Randy Moss running deep routes?

I think the signing of Mccray and moving Grant to the inside during passing downs may mean the saints will not reach for a DT in the draft or trade up in the draft for one. Grant is still a good DE he is more of a all around DE than just a pass rusher. with the DTs not soaking up the duoble team it leave grant on the end getting it. Moving him to the inside will have him taking up the double team and leave mccray of smith 1 on 1 to get the QB.

I've seen alot of game where our D-ends are getting to the qb but he has pocket to step in meaning the we aren't getting enough pressure up the middle. Now they both go hand and hand. But in passing situations i love the idea of moving him to dt. and you spread the front four allowing iso's in different areas. We got new d-line coach and i'm confident he can get our boys where they need to be. It is a copy cat league and if it worked for the Giants i can't see it not working for us.

Bingo. Grant has shown he is still fast enough to chase a QB out of bounds for a loss. I think most of the great plays he makes aren't quantified statistically. He does the dirty work at DE, and it is a shame we don't have the DT's to help highlight his contributions and free him up to be even more of a force as well as our LB's. Grant is a very good player. He just gets flak for his contract.

The Saints did this under Haslett. They moved Darren Howard inside on passing downs. That left Smith and Grant on the outside. I think Young was the other pass rusher on that line in that set. Under Mora they moved Warren to DT and kept Martin and Johnson in at ends. Nothing new.

Well first of all, we're talking apples and oranges with Haslett and Mora, since Haslett ran a 4-3 and Mora ran a 3-4. That being said, I think what the Saints are trying to do is get into a position where they can rush 3 DE's in certain situations. So they'll probably start DE's Will Smith and Charles Grant and DT's Brian Young and Hollis Thomas (or whoever they pick up in the draft or FA yet). They'll probably then introduce different packages using a combo of these guys plus Willie Whitehead and Bobby McCray, maybe putting Grant on the inside with Thomas or Young with Smith and McCray on the outside. The configurations are numerous.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom