I'm starting to get confused on who/what I want (1 Viewer)

BulldogSaint

Very Banned
Reaction score
I see alot of compelling info on the CB thing you guys have been posting about how 49ers states didn't change much after the clements deal. Also the fact that CBs take londer to develop. If you would have asked me a couple of months ago about who I wanted I would have told you to spend whatever it took to get samuel in here. Now I'm scared if we do that it's going to be a bad idea. That is sooo much money it just makes me nervous. I'm starting to buy into LB situation being addressed and maybe picking up our CB later on.

I see alot of compelling info on the CB thing you guys have been posting about how 49ers states didn't change much after the clements deal. Also the fact that CBs take londer to develop. If you would have asked me a couple of months ago about who I wanted I would have told you to spend whatever it took to get samuel in here. Now I'm scared if we do that it's going to be a bad idea. That is sooo much money it just makes me nervous. I'm starting to buy into LB situation being addressed and maybe picking up our CB later on.

I'm flipflopping as well, so I'm just saying pick the best defensive player available. Someone's going to slip.

Thing is...you can't fix just one. In order for Samuel to be effective and make plays, our pass rush would have to improve. If we can do both, then we would be able to allow a ball-hawk like Samuel to maximize his ability. If we only do one, the other will suffer. Samuel will be a more expensive Jason David if we don't upgrade our pass rush. But if we upgrade our front and not the secondary, we will still get burned there too because our secondary just flat out can't cover.

Basically, I want an upgrade at about 5 positions on D(CB, FS, WLB, MLB, DT) so that, if we bring in a playmaker like Asante Samuel, he can make plays.

Most agree we need a MLB, CB, and DT, in any order.

Some say we should get all 3 in free agency and use our draft picks for BPA. Darned good idea.

Except, the free agents are few at all 3 positions. Samuel? OK, Briggs? OK Except this guys may not be the fit for us (I don't know) and both will be Very expensive. And there aren't many others available that play at their level.

DT? This is the problem. There aren't any. Too much risk.

The answers will fall more into place when we learn who we pick up in free agency, and we will get at least one, IMO.

ddd

We've got to bring in somebody like Samuels with some experiece because right now we do not have a single cornerback. Jason David can't start in our system, Mike Mckenzie is out until proven otherwise and Osama Young is still raw with no real game experience. We really have no other choice and I agree with you guys on needing to upgrade DT and LB as well, they too, are critical to the whole picture.

Samuels played zone in NE, there is no telling how he would play in press/man. If I am not mistakenhe was not rated very hi coming out of college because of that. i maybe able to find the link

ya know.. jd was on the superbowl champs defense behind dwight freeney, and on side of bob sanders... he wasn't bad there. part of it may be man, but not all of it.. they had a pass rush, and able to stop the run with sanders, and the lb's
you upgrade the pass rush and LB's the CB's automatically will be improved without changing them out.

Here's a piece from scout.com on Asante when he was coming out:

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=8&c=1&nid=3002752

Scouting Report:
Smaller DB who can cover well in zone or man coverage. Willing to make the big hit sacrificing his body against bigger players. Plays with strong sense of awareness of the ball. Occasionally gets beat in coverage by speed or size. Has been beaten on fade patterns, but willing to fight for the ball. Takes chances to make a play on the ball, has the speed to close well.

I still think we can spend the money on a top notch corner AND draft all the guys everyone on the board keeps talking about to improve the pass rush.

"immediate impact"....bone crushing,teabag smashing,rabid......these are a few of my favorite things.....................anywhere you want to start DT,MLB,CB....FA will decide where we go in the draft.....

"immediate impact"....bone crushing,teabag smashing,rabid......these are a few of my favorite things.....................anywhere you want to start DT,MLB,CB....FA will decide where we go in the draft.....

While I'm not familiar with the phrase, I'd gladly take any player strong enough to smash a tea bag.

ddd

Its takes time to for any draft pick to reach its potential, some never meet it, that shouldn't be a reason not to draft any position, but we all want the draft picks to count I think that's why everybody is wishy washy when it comes to what player at what position to pick and when to pick them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom