I'm sure some of you have posted this already. Sorry for the repeat. (1 Viewer)

Sguill

Genesis
Reaction score
1585831902935.png
1585832001440.png
We have got to hold opponents under 20 pts/g. J Madden used say that a championship defense would have to keep an opponents under 18. But with today game I've chosen 20.

We won’t have a scoring defense under 20pts if we don’t commit heavily to the run. If Payton wants to continue to score a lot of points, then teams will have to chase and score points as well. An emphasis on running the ball shortens the game, plus Peat is a better run blocker than pass blocker.

I'm sorry "is it Sept. yet" 3 years in a row we have been beaten on the final drive. I only said what I though we needed to do to avoid. now please your point explained a little clearer.

We won’t have a scoring defense under 20pts if we don’t commit heavily to the run. If Payton wants to continue to score a lot of points, then teams will have to chase and score points as well. An emphasis on running the ball shortens the game, plus Peat is a better run blocker than pass blocker.
I agree and understand. But what good is to score 42 and give 46 and cost yourself HFA (home field advantage)

This is not John Maddens game anymore. Defense wins championships has sort of been debunked with all the new rules. The last defensive dominant team to probably win was the Ravens.

these days you just have to score more points than your opponent. Or at least keep them from scoring as many as you.

I agree and understand. But what good is to score 42 and give 46 and cost yourself HFA (home field advantage)

It’s really hard to put things on defense for last year. They were the reason we won most of our regular season games. But that game was a dog fight and injuries simply caught up to us.

This is not John Maddens game anymore. Defense wins championships has sort of been debunked with all the new rules. The last defensive dominant team to probably win was the Ravens.

these days you just have to score more points than your opponent. Or at least keep them from scoring as many as you.
Thanks, my point exactly. I'm saying make the 20 and under a goal. If that became a priority then "at least keep them from scoring as many as you" would never have to be said. Our offense as constantly produce above 25.5 ppg for a while now.

1585831902935.png
1585832001440.png
We have got to hold opponents under 20 pts/g. J Madden used say that a championship defense would have to keep an opponents under 18. But with today game I've chosen 20.

But the Saints were 13-3 and the Vikings were 10-6. Are we to just ignore the Saints success in the regular season (large sample size) for a single post-season game (small sample size). The Saints offense went belly up against the Vikings. Without Taysom Hill in that game, the Saints offense was just bad...Brees put up one of the worst games in his career. Payton was outcoached and the interior OL (which will look much the same) wasn't talented enough to overcome the Saints poor preparation. I still believe that the single biggest reason why the Saints didn't make it further in the playoffs was because they had to play the wildcard game. Emmanuel Sanders was the difference. If Sanders is on the Saints and not the 49ers, I'd be shocked if the 49ers beat the Saints...and the Saints don't even play in the wildcard game. The Saints have improved that #2 WR spot and took away Sanders from one of our chief competitors...that's a start.

It’s really hard to put things on defense for last year. They were the reason we won most of our regular season games. But that game was a dog fight and injuries simply caught up to us.
I know we have gotten offensive conscience, but we played fairly decent defense doing the 5 game Bridgewater started. When Brees returned.

Thanks, my point exactly. I'm saying make the 20 and under a goal. If that became a priority then "at least keep them from scoring as many as you" would never have to be said. Our offense as constantly produce above 25.5 ppg for a while now.

bad calls aside, the first Minn game and the Rams game we’re dog fights that we were in position to win and should have. This year we just chose a horrible time for our players and coaches to have uninspired days. We got out coached and the players didn’t play with enough enthusiasm to make up for it.

But the Saints were 13-3 and the Vikings were 10-6. Are we to just ignore the Saints success in the regular season (large sample size) for a single post-season game (small sample size). The Saints offense went belly up against the Vikings. Without Taysom Hill in that game, the Saints offense was just bad...Brees put up one of the worst games in his career. Payton was outcoached and the interior OL (which will look much the same) wasn't talented enough to overcome the Saints poor preparation. I still believe that the single biggest reason why the Saints didn't make it further in the playoffs was because they had to play the wildcard game. Emmanuel Sanders was the difference. If Sanders is on the Saints and not the 49ers, I'd be shocked if the 49ers beat the Saints...and the Saints don't even play in the wildcard game. The Saints have improved that #2 WR spot and took away Sanders from one of our chief competitors...that's a start.
Hey, I'm excited as all are with the FA signings. But the last tree years I've watched Philadelphia, LA Ram and SF 49ers play in our final game.

I agree, but I just don’t see Payton changing his ways given that he likes to chase records for his guys. I believe we would have at least one Super Bowl win in the past three years if he was more committed to the run. There’s really no excuse not to run the ball. Our O-line is good at run blocking and we have two great running backs that can both handle a heavy load (we did with Ingram as well).

bad calls aside, the first Minn game and the Rams game we’re dog fights that we were in position to win and should have. This year we just chose a horrible time for our players and coaches to have uninspired days. We got out coached and the players didn’t play with enough enthusiasm to make up for it.
OK, I'll grant the bad calls. That is a point although a contentious one it is a point. But the uninspired days from guys will gladly tell you theirs business end to the game. What uninspired day should they have, this is there job. If show up to work uninspired people would get hurt, orders wouldn't go out. I don't get paid to have an uninspired day. Especially when it's new contract we are trying to get. This was a playoff game how could you up uninspired.

OK, I'll grant the bad calls. That is a point although a contentious one it is a point. But the uninspired days from guys will gladly tell you theirs business end to the game. What uninspired day should they have, this is there job. If show up to work uninspired people would get hurt, orders wouldn't go out. I don't get paid to have an uninspired day. Especially when it's new contract we are trying to get. This was a playoff game how could you up uninspired.

I didn't say it was forgivable. Its just the facts. I asked the same questions but we just got beat right down the line. You should never ever be looking past any playoff team but, at least in appearance, that is exactly what we did.

and there is no denying that, personnel wise, that was not the same D that was playing during Teddy's time with the ball.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom