Immigrants are taking up spots on Forbes 400 (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
I don't know many people who are against immigrants (I suppose that's more of a testament of the company I keep), but there is a large enough group who are so anti immigrant that they are giving one of their brightest lights, a run for the US Presidency.

I was made aware of this updated list just this morning, and it really shined a light on why we need immigrants in this country. As quoted in the piece

I celebrate innovation and growth.

BERTIE CHARLES FORBES launched this magazine 99 years ago. He was 37 years old but already a seasoned business journalist. At 14 he left school to become a printer’s devil, setting type for a local newspaper in Scotland. By 16 he was a reporter in Aberdeen, and by 21 he had moved to Johannesburg, South Africa and eventually landed a job writing for the Rand Daily Mail. At 24 B.C. sailed to New York and established himself as a business and financial scribe for Hearst newspapers, working his way up to become business and financial editor of the New York American. His articles were syndicated in newspapers around the country.

B.C. began FORBES in 1917 to celebrate free enterprise and the human spirit that made the prosperous life possible. Half a world away Vladimir Lenin started the Soviet Union to quash enterprise and empty the human spirit into a formaldehyde jar. Lenin’s horrible experiment died in 1989, but FORBES keeps going.

B.C. Forbes was born in Scotland. He remained a Scottish highlander to his kilts, as have his sons and grandsons, the eldest of whom, Steve, is editor-in-chief of the magazine today. But B.C. was also thoroughly American, as only an immigrant can be. He was dazzled by the opportunity the U.S. offered immigrants and was enthralled by other Scots who’d made good in America, the most famous being Andrew Carnegie.

Carnegie’s father had rebelled against the strict tenets of the Scottish Presbyterian Church, which cost the family all of their possessions and left them very poor. In 1848, when young Carnegie was 12, he moved to the U.S. with his parents. He went to work, and by age 15, having learned to operate a telegraph, Andrew was a family breadwinner. Telegraph jobs led to railroad jobs, which led to a meteoric rise in the new industry. He saved his money, invested it and then invested more. By his late 20s Carnegie was acting as a sort of investment banker, buying, selling and merging railroad companies.

Andrew Carnegie never forgot his humble roots and the pain of seeing his father in financial ruin and his mother sewing boot leather to feed the family. Later in his life and sensitive to the harder edges of laissez-faire capitalism, Carnegie promoted “The Gospel of Wealth,” which was based on an article he wrote in 1889. Successful capitalists, he said, should be stewards of capital for the highest social purposes. As with philanthropy, there was a moral obligation to investing.

B.C. Forbes was surely listening to his Scottish-American hero. In the first issue of FORBES in 1917 B.C. articulated the deeper purpose of business, as well as his mission: “Business was originated to produce happiness, not to pile up millions.”

This is the amazing gift of immigrant capitalists in America, on whom we focus particular attention in this year’s edition of The Forbes 400. Immigrant capitalists remind us of the success that can be achieved in our country with a bit of luck and a lot of pluck. They also remind us that America remains the world’s harbor for innovation and self-made riches–sadly, a rare thing in the world.

But immigrant success stories do more. They show us how to renew the foundations of capitalism and keep this glorious system fresh.
Forbes Welcome

If you are counting, more than 10% of the Forbes 400 are immigrants to the USA (not including individuals who are 1st or 2nd generation Americans). As a 1st generation American, this makes me happy to see that we as a country are benefiting from the hard work of these individuals, and the opportunities provided by this country. I hope that we can all get behind this immigrant population and really reach higher heights.

And if you are looking, Tom Benson does make the list.

Legal imigration is the optimum phrase. Most are not against doing it the correct way.

Legal imigration is the optimum phrase. Most are not against doing it the correct way.

There is not much difference between legal and illegal immigrants.

A very large number of people who become US citizens were here illegally at some point.

A very large number of people who become US citizens were here illegally at some point.

Yes there is. One followed the laws of the nation they were trying to become a part of, the the group did not.

One of the top ten coolest things I think I've ever witnessed was a coworker's swearing in ceremony as a citizen of this country. He was an eight year navy veteran, and as such had his application expedited.

Watching him essentially be born into a citizen, and seeing his daughters standing there, having no idea how much of a positive impact this was having on their future, still brings a bit of a tear to my eye. They'll likely never make a Forbes list, but they are as important and vital to this nation's future as my own two children. And I just think that's wonderful.

I found an interesting article on trends in Illegal immigration with some good facts:

Mod Edit! Link removed due it containing redirects to spam.

I thought point 5 was especially interesting.

5.) A rising share of unauthorized immigrants have lived in the U.S. for at least a decade. About two-thirds (66%) of adults in 2014 had been in the U.S. at least that long, compared with 41% in 2005. A declining share of unauthorized immigrants have lived in the U.S. for less than five years – 14% of adults in 2014, compared with 31% in 2005. In 2014, unauthorized immigrant adults had lived in the U.S. for a median of 13.6 years, meaning that half had been in the country at least that long. Only 7% of Mexican unauthorized immigrants had been in the U.S. for less than five years in 2014, compared with 22% of those from all other countries.

Yes there is. One followed the laws of the nation they were trying to become a part of, the the group did not.

It's not that simple.

The laws allow for people who are here illegally to become citizens legally.

There is a path from illegal to legal. There always has been.

It's not as simple as Illegal/Legal.

I found an interesting article on trends in Illegal immigration with some good facts.

[edited]

I thought point 5 was especially interesting.

They are here, they are paying taxes http://immigrationimpact.com/2016/04/05/everybody-know-undocumented-immigrants-taxes/, they are contributing https://www.thenation.com/article/u...ute-over-11-billion-to-our-economy-each-year/, they just aren't legal.

The current process, is just a mess. And unless you are a person of wealth, it really is stacked against you.

Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States | migrationpolicy.org

How many immigrants obtain lawful permanent residence in the United States?

In 2014, 1,016,518 foreign nationals became lawful permanent residents (LPRs), also known as green-card holders, according to DHS data. Although the number of new LPRs in 2014 increased 3 percent from 2013 (990,553), it remained lower than the level reached in 2012 (1,031,631). New arrivals comprised approximately 47 percent (481,392) of those granted LPR status in 2014; the remainder (535,126) were status adjusters—persons already living in the United States, and whose green-card applications were approved that year.

It appears Samiam has a point. I think you're voicing a false narrative.

A lot of good statistics in that link, btw.

Considering that everyone on the list are LEGAL immigrants...in context to this story, I would say there is a pretty substantial difference. Even Trump isn't against legal immigration.

Considering that everyone on the list are LEGAL immigrants...in context to this story, I would say there is a pretty substantial difference. Even Trump isn't against legal immigration.

Today's illegal immigrant is tomorrow's legal immigrant.

People here illegally become legal every day.

Today's illegal immigrant is tomorrow's legal immigrant.

People here illegally become legal every day.

What's your basis for how common this is?

The better terminology for all of this is documented versus undocumented. But it is my understanding that there is no process for undocumented alien residents to become citizens without first getting documented - your time begins counting upon obtaining the visa (green card). While it is possible for undocumented aliens to get a green card, those rules apply to special categories of aliens (such as some classes of children and those seeking political asylum). I don't think it is common at all for most undocumented aliens to just got and get their green card and eventually become citizens.

Haven't vetted coldseat's link, but if it's accurate then over half take that path, which I would call more than "common at all".

Almost every one of us are descended from immigrants, no matter how they got here. This country and what it stands for can handle new immigrants. I would be inclined to believe that taken as a whole they do more for this country than this country does for them.

I don't know many people who are against immigrants, (I suppose that's more of a testament of the company I keep), but there is a large enough group who are so anti immigrant that they are giving a one of their brightest lights, a run for the US Presidency.

I was made aware of this updated list just this morning, and it really shined a light on why we need immigrants in this country. As quoted in the piece

If you are counting, more than 10% of the Forbes 400 are immigrants to the USA (not including individuals who are 1st or 2nd generation Americans). As a 1st generation American, this makes me happy to see that we as a country are benefiting from the hard work of these individuals, and the opportunities provided by this country. I hope that we can all get behind this immigrant population and really reach higher heights.

And if you are looking, Tom Benson does make the list.
If I had time to double check, I'd lean towards 100%

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom