IMO, the Saints should trade down and get more picks (1 Viewer)

dpwga

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Besides going after one of the top 2 DT's, I'm not enamoured with any player for the #10 pick. I wouldn't mind trading our #10 pick to the Falcons for their 3 second round picks. Might be nice to have 4 total picks in the second round. There is a lot of value in the second round.

I've been thinking the same thing. I'm a fan of more picks, especially 1st day picks. I also have a great deal of faith in what Loomis and Payton decide to do, as THEY have the plan. Ultimately, Coach has to get the players he feels he needs to achieve his goals. In some cases, quality may be better than quantity. I can't wait to see what happens. I really don't want to give up picks to move up, but I have to trust management.

Trading down is never a bad idea and there is only one instance where it isn't a great idea. Unfortunatly (or fortunatly) for us, this instance is when you have a team with all but maybe that one piece that is ready to get to the next level and make a run to the Super Bowl. Two and three year special teamers and projects (which is who you will more than likely find in the middle rounds) don't do this team very much good.

i can definitely see us trading down with philadelphia for the 19th pick and lito sheppard. it might also be a possibility with the 19th pick we garner a trade with the new york giants to acquire the 31st pick and shockey. both trades net us two pro-bowl calibre players and we still have two picks in the top 40 selections of the draft. the move from 19th to 31st is ~300 pts or the equivalent of a late second round pick according to the revised draft trade chart.

The only thing I don't like is I believe the Saints need to get a starter this year, at least by half way thru, in the draft. And usually a top 10 pick will have the talent start right away. I'd feel a lot better also if Mayo stock wasn't rising so fast, now he'll never make it to the 2nd rd

i can definitely see us trading down with philadelphia for the 19th pick and lito sheppard. it might also be a possibility with the 19th pick we garner a trade with the new york giants to acquire the 31st pick and shockey. both trades net us two pro-bowl calibre players and we still have two picks in the top 40 selections of the draft. the move from 19th to 31st is ~300 pts or the equivalent of a late second round pick according to the revised draft trade chart.

Either scenario would be a dream, but I think it is more likely to see us trade down with someone like the Lions and pick up a thrid but stay in the top 15 where you may still be able to get Rivers.

I like most of the trade down scenarios.

Seems like the best teams always trade down and have things work out, I'm certainly for it.

^^ I like...:very_happy:

I would like to know how the saints rate Lito Sheppard compared to the available rookie cornerbacks. Lito has been a pro-bowler but often injured, the rookies have not prove themselves yet in the NFL obviously.

If the saints rate Lito higher (and I am not sure of this) then the Philly trade looks enticing. If the saints rate DRC, Cason, Flowers Talib,etc higher, then they consider a trade that gives them 3 picks in the top 60.

Me, I prefer the picks. Gives us more flexibility to choose.

This year I feel we are in a win win win situation --

1) Trading up (if its an equitable deal) for the likes of Dorsey is a win
2) Staying put and drafting the BPA at 10 should produce a starter and improve the team which is a win
3) trading down and getting Lito or more picks should still produce a starter in this year's deep draft and may even product a 2nd starter or at least provide a solid depth position -- which is a win

So whatever we do I think we are well positioned to really help our team get better this year

This year I feel we are in a win win win situation --

1) Trading up (if its an equitable deal) for the likes of Dorsey is a win
2) Staying put and drafting the BPA at 10 should produce a starter and improve the team which is a win
3) trading down and getting Lito or more picks should still produce a starter in this year's deep draft and may even product a 2nd starter or at least provide a solid depth position -- which is a win

So whatever we do I think we are well positioned to really help our team get better this year

:plus-un2: I agree with what you said 100%. I am really looking forward to next weekend...... What time does the draft start 12....1.....3 :idunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom