Imperfect 10s (1 Viewer)

Interesting tidbit from the article as well.

"Corner is a position at which teams rarely strike gold in the lower rounds. Over the last 10 years, only three corners selected after the third round have made the Pro Bowl: fourth-rounders Samuel and Nathan Vasher, and sixth-rounder Al Harris."

Still, Ditka's decision to draft the physical interior lineman with the No. 10 pick was a shocker. In the past 24 years, Naeole is still the only true guard to be selected that high in the NFL draft. He probably would have gone down as Ditka's most infamous draft choice, had it not been for Kyle Turley in 1998 and Ricky Williams in 1999.
"
:)

"Corner is a position at which teams rarely strike gold in the lower rounds. Over the last 10 years, only three corners selected after the third round have made the Pro Bowl: fourth-rounders Samuel and Nathan Vasher, and sixth-rounder Al Harris."

Combine that with the amount of CBs that are drafted in the earlier rounds that are terrible and you have a crap shoot at CB no matter what you do. I think the best bet is to draft CB in the 2nd and 3rd round...

My favorite quote:

nola.com said:
Still, Ditka's decision to draft the physical interior lineman with the No. 10 pick was a shocker. In the past 24 years, Naeole is still the only true guard to be selected that high in the NFL draft. He probably would have gone down as Ditka's most infamous draft choice, had it not been for Kyle Turley in 1998 and Ricky Williams in 1999.

Ditka really was bad. He had at least 3 bad drafts that probably would go down as the worst for any other coach, but he had THREE of them. Good coach, bad GM.

You need to tell bergeaux about this in his post about the truth of the nfl draft and trading back.

My favorite quote:

Ditka really was bad. He had at least 3 bad drafts that probably would go down as the worst for any other coach, but he had THREE of them. Good coach, bad GM.

Still, it's unfortunate for Naeole, he was a good player. The Saints actually had a difficult time recovering from the loss of Naeole. (JMHO).

Naole was a terrible pick... Alan Faneca was picked @ 22 of the same draft...

Naole was a terrible pick... Alan Faneca was picked @ 22 of the same draft...

Naeole wasn't a smart pick at the position but he was a good guard none the less. And losing him set the team back for a while. I'm not arguing the draft strategy.....I am saying though that he was a good player.

The story I always thought was odd was the one Ditka used to like to recount on how he liked Naeole's fire...
Apparently, one of Colorado's coaches was angry the team played so poorly; but he singled out Naeole as the only one who played well. Naeole missed the compliment and thought he was being singled out in an insulting way, so he assaulted the coach. I am sure plenty of people remember this story. Now, Ditka loved him for this apparently...but I never got it...it sounded more moronic than anything else.

Chris Naeole is fairly underated. He really should not have been labeled a bust. He had a fairly long career as an NFL lineman and was very productive if not for injury.

Last year he started for the second best rushing offense in the NFL.

When healthy he is definitely much better then Jamar Nesbit.

Last edited:
The legend of "double zero" Ken Burrough should be repeated to those who are anxious to ship Reggie Bush out as an underachiever...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom