Importance of drafting good WRs.... (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Just found this interesting.....

In the playoffs, Julio is a stud. 1st round pick.

Justin Edelman - 7th round (Leading pats WR in receptions)
Chris Hogan- UDFA
Danny Amendola- UDFA
Taylor Gabriel - UDFA
Doug Baldwin - UDFA (leading Seattle WR)
Antonio Brown - 6th round (leading Pitt WR)
Cole Beasley - UDFA (leading Cowboys WR)
Tyreke Hill - 5th round (Leading KC WR)

Now there are some "stars" left that were drafted high, Julio, Dez, Jordy (out)...but the majority of the playmakes are very late round to UDFA selections.

Especially the New England way of having serious no-names that no one wanted, and they can't be guarded by the vaunted Houston DBs.

Oh, and Mike Thomas, 2nd round pick, is a total stud.

so, you're saying it's not important to draft one? but then it is..
trying to figure out your point.

Sorry.
The word "importance" in the title is sarcastic....

Not really anything earth shattering, I just couldn't believe how many of the best WRs, on the best teams, were players anyone could have had.

Even though he's no longer playing, lets not forget about arguably one of the greatest 7th round talents ever....Marques Colston "The Quiet Storm"!

You could post the same things about a lot of positions in the NFL. Also there's a lot of quantity at the WR position. Many/most teams have at least three WR's with decent production.

I would almost never draft a WR in the 1st round, you can get good even great ones in the later rounds or as UDFA...Trading up to get Brandin Cooks made me shake my head, nothing against him but they are the closest thing to a dime a dozen as a position in the NFL....

I would almost never draft a WR in the 1st round, you can get good even great ones in the later rounds or as UDFA...Trading up to get Brandin Cooks made me shake my head, nothing against him but they are the closest thing to a dime a dozen as a position in the NFL....

I think the vast consensus of who the best WR's are in the game would be a short list of probably the following with maybe an exception or two...MAYBE:

Antonio Brown
Julio Jones
AJ Green
Odell Beckham
Mike Evans

All of those guys were high first round picks except Brown.

Just because you can get super lucky and get Antonio Brown in the sixth round, doesn't mean you can count on it. And the same thing can be said for any position (Tom Brady says hello).

Just found this interesting.....

In the playoffs, Julio is a stud. 1st round pick.

Justin Edelman - 7th round (Leading pats WR in receptions)
Chris Hogan- UDFA
Danny Amendola- UDFA
Taylor Gabriel - UDFA
Doug Baldwin - UDFA (leading Seattle WR)
Antonio Brown - 6th round (leading Pitt WR)
Cole Beasley - UDFA (leading Cowboys WR)
Tyreke Hill - 5th round (Leading KC WR)

Now there are some "stars" left that were drafted high, Julio, Dez, Jordy (out)...but the majority of the playmakes are very late round to UDFA selections.

Especially the New England way of having serious no-names that no one wanted, and they can't be guarded by the vaunted Houston DBs.

Oh, and Mike Thomas, 2nd round pick, is a total stud.
So is Cooks, and Snead, so I'm not sure what you're saying.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I think the vast consensus of who the best WR's are in the game would be a short list of probably the following with maybe an exception or two...MAYBE:

Antonio Brown
Julio Jones
AJ Green
Odell Beckham
Mike Evans

All of those guys were high first round picks except Brown.

Just because you can get super lucky and get Antonio Brown in the sixth round, doesn't mean you can count on it. And the same thing can be said for any position (Tom Brady says hello).

The list above is filled with great WR's for sure but for everyone of those I give you (below were not 1st round picks):

Edelman
TY Hilton
Jordy Nelson
Antonio Brown
Jarvis Landry
Doug Baldwin
Michael Thomas
Golden Tate

Of the top 15 in receiving yards only 6 were 1st round picks...point taken...Cheers mate

The list above is filled with great WR's for sure but for everyone of those I give you (below were not 1st round picks):

Edelman
TY Hilton
Jordy Nelson
Antonio Brown
Jarvis Landry
Doug Baldwin
Michael Thomas
Golden Tate

Of the top 15 in receiving yards only 6 were 1st round picks...point taken...Cheers mate

You aren't taking into account that only 2-4 receivers are drafted in the first round while 30-50 more enter the league each year as later round picks or UDFA. So about 6% of the receivers that enter the league each year are 1st round picks yet they make up 40% of the top 15 receivers and 80% of the top 5. So yes receiver is a position that you can get production from later round guys, however if you want a dynamic weapon that will draw consistent double coverage and open up the whole offense, taking a WR highly is a far better shot.

The first round gives you the highest percentage of getting a good player and the only reasonable shot at getting an elite player at some positions. The fact that 80% of those receivers listed in the top 5 came from the 6% of receivers entering the NFL through the first round indicates to me that spending a high pick on a first rounder is definitely worth it as it might be the only reasonable way to get a top tier talent at that position.

You can also get pass-rushers late or as UDFA such as James Harrison, Robert Mathis, Jared Allen, Michael Bennett, Cameron Wake, Junior Gallette, Lorenzo Alexander (this year), Greg Hardy, Elvis Dumerville and the list goes on. If you want to ask how much value does a great receiver add compared to a great player at another position that is a more pertinent question.

You aren't taking into account that only 2-4 receivers are drafted in the first round while 30-50 more enter the league each year as later round picks or UDFA. So about 6% of the receivers that enter the league each year are 1st round picks yet they make up 40% of the top 15 receivers and 80% of the top 5. So yes receiver is a position that you can get production from later round guys, however if you want a dynamic weapon that will draw consistent double coverage and open up the whole offense, taking a WR highly is a far better shot.

The first round gives you the highest percentage of getting a good player and the only reasonable shot at getting an elite player at some positions. The fact that 80% of those receivers listed in the top 5 came from the 6% of receivers entering the NFL through the first round indicates to me that spending a high pick on a first rounder is definitely worth it as it might be the only reasonable way to get a top tier talent at that position.

You can also get pass-rushers late or as UDFA such as James Harrison, Robert Mathis, Jared Allen, Michael Bennett, Cameron Wake, Junior Gallette, Lorenzo Alexander (this year), Greg Hardy, Elvis Dumerville and the list goes on. If you want to ask how much value does a great receiver add compared to a great player at another position that is a more pertinent question.

2-4? 2014 - 5 were selected. 2015 - 6 were selected. 2016 - 4 were selected (on the high end of your curious scale). Success ratio is about 50%....Yes, you can get good edge rushers later in the draft but IMO the margins are thinner...the likelihood of doing so is less than with WR's....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom