In 1 week i go under the knife (1 Viewer)

4saintspirit

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Wish me luck -- I am kinda nervous about it all - At a pretty young age I am having my hip replaced -- i have been walking bone on bone for quite a while now and finally am pulling the trigger --

If anyone has any experience with this I would not mind hearing some soothing words on what to expect -- otherwise -- wish me luck

I wish you luck. I'm 26 and I have to have back surgery to remove a ruptured disk. I'm nervous about that as well so I know how you feel.

I wish you luck. I'm 26 and I have to have back surgery to remove a ruptured disk. I'm nervous about that as well so I know how you feel.

good luck to you -- I have a couple of friends who had back surgery recently -- they said the hardest thing about it was not being able to bend at all for 2-3 weeks -- and not lifting anything over 5 pounds for 4 weeks or so --

Some things that you should buy --

1) From Walgreens get one of those gadgets that picks up stuff -- I have one now and they work just great --

2) Put safety bars/handles in your bathroom -- so that its easier to get on and off the toilet --

3) A sock assister -- its like a shoehorn for socks -- or you can do what I am planning on doing and just wearing mocassins with no socks at all --

Once again -- GL

Good luck, I was 22 when I had my back surgery. Best advice ever. Take your time and heal correctly, dont be all in a big ole hurry to jump back into the game. You cannot rush this kind of thing.

Good luck my friend...listen to your doc and your physical therapist. And "no pain, no gain" is usually NOT the full answer. Do NOT overdo anything.

A buddy of mine had hip replacement when he was like 24 or 25. Rehab sucked, but it is easier the younger you are. He is fine now, no problems, but he will have to have another one later in life, apparently, if you last long enough, they don't.

Good luck to you!!!

I am finally returning to work next week, after having had two surgeries in the past five months. The surgeries were on my first vertebra and skull. Just follow the Dr.'s advice and make sure you are healed up and don't strain on anything. The reason for my second surgery was because i did some honey do's around the house and popped two stitches in my head. The Dr. had to re-open the incision and repair the damage. That extended my rehab time by two more months.

Good luck to you!!!

I am finally returning to work next week, after having had two surgeries in the past five months. The surgeries were on my first vertebra and skull. Just follow the Dr.'s advice and make sure you are healed up and don't strain on anything. The reason for my second surgery was because i did some honey do's around the house and popped two stitches in my head. The Dr. had to re-open the incision and repair the damage. That extended my rehab time by two more months.

Glad that everything is okay with you now -- yeah -- I intend to let the rehab work its magic -- heard too many horrow stories about how the new hip locks up and they have to reopen you to take any chances -- Just hope that the morphine drip is working when I wake up -- I cant imagine getting a lot of bone cut out and replaced is going to feel very good

4saintspirit and spider13, good luck to you both!! I am an occupational therapist in Maryland, so I know what rehab is going to be like for both of you. No fun, but you'll be better afterward than now. Much easier if you're in relative good health otherwise.

Please feel free to pm me for any details of rehab. I'll help you out the best I can. Trust your OT's and PT's they'll do a great job in the hospital and wherever you go for further rehab.

Here's wishing you good luck. I had major surgery on the eve of my 43rd birthday, the need for which was a total surprise with surgery actually scheduled the day before I had it. I remember clearly the extraordinary anxiety and confusion, and more than some fear. You'll do fine. Take it a day at a time.

Glad that everything is okay with you now -- yeah -- I intend to let the rehab work its magic -- heard too many horrow stories about how the new hip locks up and they have to reopen you to take any chances -- Just hope that the morphine drip is working when I wake up -- I cant imagine getting a lot of bone cut out and replaced is going to feel very good
The therapists willl come sit you on the edge of your bed after 12 hours or so, and stand you up about 24 hours after. I distinctly rmember some of my patients in acute rehab being somewhat grumpy about this. This, too, shall pass. :ezbill:

Will they let you take your laptops in to the hospital ? If so, please report your progresses here and let us all know y'all are doing ok !

I actually wont be having my surgery until 2009. My doctor keeps telling me I need to have it but my wife is in her final year of nursing school and I cant afford to be out of work until she graduates. I injured my back playing football in 2006 and I have just been dealing with it for now. 4saintspirit I hope you have a good recovery. I hate hospitals so I'm not looking forward to surgery myself.

Are you getting the total replacement or the new-fangled way?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom