In defense of Winston ( gulp ) (1 Viewer)

I wonder if Jameis is allowed to audible or if they've instructed him to run the play call no matter what. We keep getting smashed by heavy blitzes and even after the game Jameis says "yeah we had a long developing play called" - change the play man! Teams arent even disguising their blitzes (why bother?)

Something is way off.

It’s best to get the 2 pt conversion first that way you know if it’s a one possession or two possession game. When coaches put off the 2 pt conversion for a future td that may never happen, they’re setting themselves up to say it was just a one score loss.
That’s your opinion. I’d rather take the point, hopefully get a 3 and out and get some momentum going. It is what it is.

That’s your opinion. I’d rather take the point, hopefully get a 3 and out and get some momentum going. It is what it is.

That’s what this board is here for.

I'm still very much a fan of his and if he can get healthy and comfortable, and have a successful run as the QB of this franchise for the next decade, I'd be happy with that outcome.

He has talent and ability and can throw some beautiful passes, but he's struggling. Whether it's injury, or adapting to the coaching and personnel changes, or playing instinctively, or whatever is going on, there's just not enough consistency and point-producing productivity coming from the QB position. It's not all on him - others are making mistakes - but the successful teams get a level of play out of the position that lifts the entire offense. He's not providing that effect right now.
He was drafted #1 overall because of his arm talent, but arm talent isn't enough. Successful NFL QBs have to read and react quickly. NFL QBs either read and throw quickly, or read and run quickly. In the NFL, if you can't read and react quickly, then you'll be blitzed often. Winston seems to react just a little too late. Winston is not a great runner, so he needs to be a great passer. When the blitz comes, he needs to effectively anticipate where his receivers will be, and release the throw before the blitzer arrives. Complete those at an adequate rate, and he will get blitzed less frequently, which will in turn make the offense more effective.

Last edited:
Good teams find ways to win also. There is something wrong with the Saints offense at the moment. Most teams progress as the season goes on. This is not happening. Yesterday was a regression.

I agree with this, I’m disappointed in JW’s play thus far….he looks slow to react in the pocket and just not comfortable but the larger problems are the turnovers (AK and MI, totally uncharacteristic) and the missed FGs….we have left way too many points out there that should be on the board…he (and the entire offense) needs to improve and fix it….quickly

The offense really hasn’t looked ready to play yet this year, they lack identity….to me that is more a coaching issue….I think we miss CSP, I also think we miss TA and many took him for granted….Hurst is not cutting it…..

Honestly a lot of teams are struggling out of the gate this season and it could be how the new off-season is where guys aren't really working as a team as much and come together for a month of camp (mainly in shells) that's causing teams not not be as in sync to start the year.

I wonder what young quarterback we’re drafting next year. He’s been here long enough to know better, I’m done with him. This season for me is a wash no matter what we do from this point forward. Sundays it’s just a reason to get together with friends and enjoy good company. I don’t think we’ll get a second Lumbardy it just won’t be with this guy.

I wonder if Jameis is allowed to audible or if they've instructed him to run the play call no matter what. We keep getting smashed by heavy blitzes and even after the game Jameis says "yeah we had a long developing play called" - change the play man! Teams arent even disguising their blitzes (why bother?)

Something is way off.
It looks like we're doing the same two plays called in the huddle we did with Brees. I saw him kill the first play several times yesterday.

It seemed like Carolina had the same defensive game plan as Atlanta. Send way more blitzers than we can block and see if the line can pick it up or Winston can hit the hot read. Right now, neither are happening consistently. Also, just like Atlanta, when they backed off we hit deep shots (with some great plays made by the WRs). Unlike Atlanta, Carolina went back to the blitz in key situations and closed the game out.

He was much better in Tampa imo. So it isn’t all on him. The injury has to be taking a toll as well. Still pulling for the young man to get it together but am losing faith.

Honestly a lot of teams are struggling out of the gate this season and it could be how the new off-season is where guys aren't really working as a team as much and come together for a month of camp (mainly in shells) that's causing teams not not be as in sync to start the year.
The new offseason rules may be having different affects on different teams. The teams that were very well organized using the previous rules may not have figured out how to re-organize for optimum success with the new rules. The teams that were not that organized previously may not be affected as much.

First let me ask a question, Olave was brilliant yesterday, but how is it fair to give none of the credit to Winston?, he did make some excellent throws to him
Went for over 350 yards, made two 3rd downs with good throws that were called back by dubious flags
Got us in to scoring position twice but we missed what should have been easy field goals, another drive killed by a fumble, another by 2 false starts
All in all l thought he played okay yesterday, much better than the previous 2 weeks
Still relieved we did not get Watson, or even Wilson, either one would have killed our future , even glad we did not get Jimmy G, considering our options at the start of the season l still think we made the right and only choice
As he starts to get healthier l do think he will get better, also tough for any quarterback to start with 3 division games in a row
Am not ready to throw in the towel just yet
I’m nominating you for the “Brave Poster of the Week” award. I believe that you are a shoe-in to win! 👍

First let me ask a question, Olave was brilliant yesterday, but how is it fair to give none of the credit to Winston?, he did make some excellent throws to him
Went for over 350 yards, made two 3rd downs with good throws that were called back by dubious flags
Got us in to scoring position twice but we missed what should have been easy field goals, another drive killed by a fumble, another by 2 false starts
All in all l thought he played okay yesterday, much better than the previous 2 weeks
Still relieved we did not get Watson, or even Wilson, either one would have killed our future , even glad we did not get Jimmy G, considering our options at the start of the season l still think we made the right and only choice
As he starts to get healthier l do think he will get better, also tough for any quarterback to start with 3 division games in a row
Am not ready to throw in the towel just yet
There was some decent throws for sure. He also missed two easy touchdown passes in the red zone and took a sack on a 3rd down in the red zone where everyone in the world could read where the blitz was coming from BUT Winston.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom