In defense of Winston ( gulp ) (1 Viewer)

I'm a supporter but he's not making adjustments when he needs to like when they show zero coverage (all-out blitz). Yes, things that should help a QB are going bad as well but he's not doing his part. Just like DA he will not get the benefit of the doubt like Drew or Payton. I do not know if it's the injury or playcalling but he's running out of time and chances.
Thats the thing I've been saying...teams are showing zero coverage, but dropping back into coverage, because our offensive alignments help them do just that.

I don't remember Winston being this way last year. He had less weapons then and looked better. I think it's more of a injury issue with him.

I think he should be sitting so he can heal up. We have a capable backup to let him heal. I've heard his fractures can't get any worse by playing but they obviously can't better by taking the hits he continues to take.

I think for the most part he knows what defenses are doing but when defenses are bringing 2 extra guys we can't block them all.

Overall, I just think these guys all need time together. PC to Winston to Thomas to Landry..they needed reps together. So essentially these guys are learning on the fly and it's showing.

I'm also remembering Winston was competing for the starters job last year so he played in the preseason. Only guy to really play this preseason was sorry *** Book!
Could it be that Payton had to micromanage soooo much of Winston to get him up to a successful and consistent level, that he may have decided enough was enough after one season? Would make sense looking at Winston’s regression.

Could it be that Payton had to micromanage soooo much of Winston to get him up to a successful and consistent level, that he may have decided enough was enough after one season? Would make sense looking at Winston’s regression.
Payton did say he cried after Winston got hurt last year, so I don't think that was the case. He obviously recruited Jameis and named him the starter. Sounds like revisionist history on your part. I personally think it was the struggles of the whole season but hey not having the certainty of Brees did contribute to his decision.

You do realize we win the last 2 games if we make the field goals and don't fumble the ball on the way into the end zone, right?
If only we could pick and choose which plays count and which don’t. The Saints would never lose another game.

He's clearly very limited by the injury and his dedication to the team is admirable. That begs the question, though, of whether we'd be better off with a healthier player. When healthy he's our best option.
I call BS , If he's limited in what he can do it's very minimal. He's able to throw the ball way down the field. He's made a few really good throws. He may not be able to take off and run as well but his back is not making him miss wide-open WRs.JW's problem is what it's always been. He does not make good decisions,I had hoped he had progressed with SP the last 2 seasons but now it seems he's regressed.

I wouldn’t underestimate the effect of injuries and pain have on your mental reasoning. If they have him shot up with pain meds, there is no way that doesn’t create some mental fog. On the other hand, if he is trying to grit it out, your mind is going to be distracted by the pain. Regardless, I think he needs to sit until he’s fully healed.
I'm so tired of hearing about JW's injured back, If his back was that bad he would not be able to throw all those bombs he's trying, or the long sideline outs. His ankle may make him not quick to run with it . Do you really think DA and PC would let him play if it affected him that much? I remember a QB that played with Torn rotator cuff - Torn fascia in the foot - Plus, 11 broken ribs and a collapsed lung, But he got no slack from some of you all all a lot of people did was call him : Noodle Arm"

When are people on here going to realize Winston is fools gold. He hasnt changed at all from his Tampa days. He will give you a great game where he looks like a guy that can take this team to the playoffs and then has 2-3 horrible games, only to suck you back in with a good game. Stop kidding yourselves. He is a serviceable QB but that is about it at this point.
I'm with you and have been since Sep 30, 2021
Winston hasn't really changed since putting on a Saints uniform. He's saying and doing the same things that he said and did while at Tampa Bay. The only thing he's changed is teams and that wasn't his choice. He was forced to change teams.

He's fool's gold as QB. He's got the talent, intelligence and occasional exceptional play that tempts coaches and entices fans. He makes it easy for coaches and fans to think "if only this or that" and then he'll finally be the QB he has the potential to be.

Payton did say he cried after Winston got hurt last year, so I don't think that was the case. He obviously recruited Jameis and named him the starter. Sounds like revisionist history on your part. I personally think it was the struggles of the whole season but hey not having the certainty of Brees did contribute to his decision.
revisionist history asking a question?

I don't know. Watching that game, he did come up with some decent drives but some of those drives....gosh. He lacks serious pocket awareness. Take a sacks in the red zones. He is still slow in reacting. I just don't understand how one drive can looks so good but the next 3 or 4 looked horrible. I don't know who is more to blame....Winston or the coaching staff. Until something changes, the key to stopping the Saints offense is blitzing and bringing pressure. This team cannot continue to have 3 bad quarters of football.
Facts. Winston has shown that he cannot handle pressure at all right now for whatever reason. Put him under pressure and you have him.

First let me ask a question, Olave was brilliant yesterday, but how is it fair to give none of the credit to Winston?, he did make some excellent throws to him
Went for over 350 yards, made two 3rd downs with good throws that were called back by dubious flags
Got us in to scoring position twice but we missed what should have been easy field goals, another drive killed by a fumble, another by 2 false starts
All in all l thought he played okay yesterday, much better than the previous 2 weeks
Still relieved we did not get Watson, or even Wilson, either one would have killed our future , even glad we did not get Jimmy G, considering our options at the start of the season l still think we made the right and only choice
As he starts to get healthier l do think he will get better, also tough for any quarterback to start with 3 division games in a row
Am not ready to throw in the towel just yet
The stats are very deceiving. He is not reading the defenses well, not making necessary audibles; he is missing open receivers and holding on to the ball too long. He is making too many inaccurate throws (Jarvis Landry injured himself trying to catch a poorly thrown ball). Winston simply does not look like a good fit for the Saints offense, as John Sigler writes. I wonder what in the world Sean Payton was thinking when he brought Jameis in. The tutelage under Brees was apparently not beneficial.

He doesn't do well operating under center. He absolutely panics when he gets under pressure.
This right here is 100% on the OC. Good coordinators scheme around their player's strengths, not putting them in situations where even casual fans can tell they're not comfortable in. I understand using formations where he is under center but this isn't old school football anymore. A lot of teams run straight Gun formations and only go under center in short yardage situations when necessary. If Pete can't see that Winston works best from the Gun and uptempo then DA and Loomis need to decide who they're keeping next season and one needs to go.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom