In regards to a situation view point, Ian Book fell to the right team (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
The 2021 NFL Draft featured five quarterbacks that were taken in the first round. Those quarterbacks are Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, and Mac Jones. Those five individuals were projected to be first-rounders throughout the entire 2020 college football season. Except for Lance, the other four QBs listed are going into questionable situations.

SP always has a vision for players and Book is no different. Given who was left on the board, I wanted him to be here. Definitely was surprised by his measurements because he plays big. Wonder if he will be put into the Taysom role if Taysom is going to solely be focused at QB.

I can guarantee you that SP will utilize Book in various plays throughout the season. This isn't going to be a wasted, sit on the bench and learn pick.
I don’t think so... Book is nowhere near the athlete Taysom Hill is, and he also doesn’t have the size/bulk like Hill. CSP has already said that Book will not be playing a role like Taysom Hill’s Swiss Army Knife.

I think this will definitely be a “sit on the bench and learn pick” unless there are two big injuries ahead of him on the depth chart, and Book learns fast and really shines in practice and preseason.

With that said, I like the pick... I like Book... and I’m looking forward to seeing him play as a Saint.

No pick bewildered me more than the Book pick. I can't wait to see how this works out, just because I want to proven wrong that it was a completely wasted pick.

I don’t think so... Book is nowhere near the athlete Taysom Hill is, and he also doesn’t have the size/bulk like Hill. CSP has already said that Book will not be playing a role like Taysom Hill’s Swiss Army Knife.

I think this will definitely be a “sit on the bench and learn pick” unless there are two big injuries ahead of him on the depth chart, and Book learns fast and really shines in practice and preseason.

With that said, I like the pick... I like Book... and I’m looking forward to seeing him play as a Saint.
Not utilized like Hill, but I think he gets in on some plays with Hill on the field.

I can guarantee you that SP will utilize Book in various plays throughout the season. This isn't going to be a wasted, sit on the bench and learn pick.
I think the same. Not as a Hill/S.A.K. but in on option type of plays where he would be more apt to pass and some trickery. I am standing by that we will see all 3 at some point this season.

Go watch a game or two of Ian Book at Notre Dame... don’t just watch highlights, actually watch a game. It’s not all good, but there’s something about him.. the grit, the poise... he’s got “something”
My stance has been that he ticks many boxes CSP craves in a QB for the way he likes to scheme. Book has good feet and set up, but can be a bit too "footsy" sometimes, not sitting into his set up and his deep ball has a weird over "lean" back and big wind up. Those are very coachable mechanics because he has shown good mechanics in other phases of passing. There is a bit of moxy in him I do like and he seems to have a good football IQ. He takes his chances on broken plays with a bit of decisiveness and not a "let's hope for the best"/miracle play when not needed...most of the time.

I like Book. He’s scrappy and leaves everything on the field. And yes those are very “Drew Brees-esque” qualities. But honestly every draft there’s at least a half dozen Div. I QBs that are undersized and “scrappy”. If they are lucky, stay out of trouble, and show promise in the preseason they may get to hold a clipboard for a couple of seasons.

The hope is Payton with his eye for QB talent has found a late round gem. But Sean Canfield, Garrett Grayson, and Tommy Stevens may disagree.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom