In Retro: Was the SB Worth Forfeiting 2012 Season & 2 Lost 2nd Rounders? (1 Viewer)

Was the SB Worth Forfeiting 2012 Season & 2 Lost 2nd Rounders?

• Yes

Votes: 211 83.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I'm Obstinate and POd so I choose neither!

Votes: 28 11.0%

• Total voters
its a deal I would take everytime.
heck, I would give up the 2015 season for another Superbowl this year..

Sent from my Samsung Infuse using Tapatalk 2
Who Dat!

Absolutely ridiculous thread. The Super Bowl win was not as a result or or contingent on the bounty penalties. Move on.

Is it? Sir Roger may have crippled us for a few more years or possibly for the Brees era. I don't think so, but we shall see.

Hmmm, ....ok I'll bite. I'm 37 years old. For about the first 10 or 11 years of my life, I watched my favorite team lose year after year. When they finally reached the playoffs, our hearts were dashed by a crushing defeat. We went through several seasons like this. And then came the DITKA era. And although we did get a playoff win under Haslett, we were still just getting crumbs from the dinner table.

After Katrina the city was trying to rebuild and the only true thing to celebrate was the success of the team. We could feel that this team was different from years past. Even though I think this is a ridiculous question, the answer is yes.

And the reason I feel it's a ridiculous question is because no matter what happened in he locker room between coaches and players, this team defeated every team it had to, in order to win it's championship. Nothing illegal on the field. Team against team we were the best on the field.

This is not a discussion about what happened or didn't happen or may have happened. We won the 2009 SB with GW. We forfeited the 2012 season and 2 2nd picks as a result of GW. Was it worth it to you?

Yes! And truth be told...if a "deal" was to be struck, I'd have paid more for my Saints to be champs. But now that it's happened, once just isn't enough (I have addictive tendencies!). Truth be told, once again, I'd sacrifice my left testicle for a SECOND SB Championship while Brees and Payton are still here! No "pre-payments", of course, but after the fact...a deal is a deal.

Yes. It's close to the sell your soul to the Devil proposition. And I know that the SB had nothing to do with bounties or P for P. But I'll relish that Super Bowl for the rest of my life. It was a beautiful thing.

Well I firmly believe within 5yrs we win another. Quite possible this coming yr if history repeats itself though I'm on the fence about it at this moment forward. I'd have sto that if you put up $100 for the next 5 yrs on saints to win the SB, you're like to come away with about $1000+ and probably will happen sooner than 5 yrs.

This thread has nothing to do with reality. Nothing. How about this poll: Was it worth the ravens winning the super bowl to have Obama elected President? About the same sense & relevance.

This is not a discussion about what happened or didn't happen or may have happened. We won the 2009 SB with GW. We forfeited the 2012 season and 2 2nd picks as a result of GW. Was it worth it to you?

we didn't get the Super Bowl in lieu of those sanctions. it was granted long before this past offseason.

what kind of question is this?

Crewe: Pop, that time you hit Hazen...was it worth the 30 years?

Pop: [short pause]. Well, for me it was.

Crewe: Then give me my damn shoe!

This thread has nothing to do with reality. Nothing. How about this poll: Was it worth the ravens winning the super bowl to have Obama elected President? About the same sense & relevance.

+1

If the Saints had lost that SB, they probably still would've been punished for defeating Goodell's Vikings and Peter Wiggum King's Lord Favre.

Are we saying that without the alleged bounty we would not have won the SB? I don't agree. So this poll is not valid.

If that were the case, then the SB was worth it. Either way we will move on from this. And we have a Super Bowl to show for it.

But it begs the question. Why didn't we win more Super Bowls with GW if that was the difference?

We played hard-nosed football and ultimately won the SuperBowl. The hits on Farve and Warner were legal and a result of the culture of the sport. Both Farve and Warner said they did not think the hits were anythong more than the consequence of the game.

No play set out ot deliberate hit a player, regardless of what may have been said by a disgrunteld employee. What was said by GW is said in every locker room. Players fight to win.

The bountygate penalties were excessive, meant to send a message, and will never be imposed on any team again. The impact was to make a team less competitive in 2012, and will impact the team for several more years. Goodell over-stepped his authority. The fans, who had nothing whatsoever to do with this, have been cheated. All teams need to be on a level playing field, and Goodell's excessive penalties meant that we were not.

Should the Saints have been punished, probably yes, but nowhere to the degree that they were. I have been a Saints fan since their inception, I have seen the poor seasons and the best of seasons. I am glad that I lived to see the Saints win the big prize. I know Buddy D would have also loved to see that day.

I have to admit I did a double take when I saw the question. Like many Saints fans who had suffered thru over 40 years of mostly futile seasons, to see my Saints win it all was worth everything. Honestly, I had talked for years about maybe never living to see our Saints get to, much less win a SuperBowl, thus to experience that magical year was unbelievable and magical ride.

I know there are so many, like old Buddy D, my dad and thousands of others who never got to see us get to the promised land of the SuperBowl. Everything after that will be lagniappe for as long as I live!

We played hard-nosed football and ultimately won the SuperBowl. The hits on Farve and Warner were legal and a result of the culture of the sport. Both Farve and Warner said they did not think the hits were anythong more than the consequence of the game.

+1

It's also worth noting that the NFL literally changed the rules (not just the OT) after the Saints won, including QB hits after INTs.

So effectively, the Saints were the last SB champions under full-contact NFL rules.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom