In the Sean Payton era, which picks were you the MOST WRONG about (good or bad)? (1 Viewer)

The Moose

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I hate to say this but I thought Reggie Bush would be better than he turned out to be. He was special at times but it took him forever to adapt his running style to the NFL. As far as the good,
Alvin Kamara WAS what I thought Reggie would be. I saw him play in college but I think AK is even better in the NFL. His style of running and vision makes him the most enjoyable running back to watch for me since Walter Payton.

My exact feeling

I think bush was a borderline bust for the saints. Nowhere near what he should have been out of USC. I would have bet everything I have he would be at least a 4yd per carry back. Took till year four to get over that. By then he was only getting 5 touches a game rushing.

His second season he fumbled the ball like all the time. It was mind bending.

I still don't get all the love for him here.

On the other hand Alvin is the most complete back in the league. When I think of all time great backs only a few I would rather have in their prime and most are a toss up.

I think the list is Walter Payton, Terrell Davis, and maybe LT. Everyone else is a push or not as complete.

Alvin is that good.

CajunSaint08

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Sedric Ellis, 2008 1st round pick out of USC. I saw him play a couple of times his senior year plus the senior bowl. I so wanted the Saints to draft him, just knowing he was a high motor run stopper. When the Saints drafted him, I was beside myself. And then he actually played......All I could think of when he played was that once he got his contract signed and got his signing bonus, he stopped trying. At least, that was the impression I got.

Since then, I have stopped trying to predict if a player is going to be a stud or a dud and just hope that no matter what round they are chosen. they are productive and not a wasted draft pick.

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
To those who corrected me, I commented without paying due attention that it is the Payton era we are talking about. Mea culpa.

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
I learned my lesson, so I try not to get real high or low expectations for any player. I just feel mildly positive or mildly negative about picks in camp. Not to say I don't get excited when someone beasts out in camp, I do. I've learned that a "great prospect" can be cut any day, and a real dud can become a valuable player. I just get my popcorn and watch what happens.
Pretty much the same..............I'm rarely "right" or "wrong" about a guy who just got drafted........because I rarely go on record as crowning or discarding a guy in April / May. I feel like those who try to label a player before they even put on the pads are either trying to justify their own mock drafts (whether it be someone they had coming to the Saints, or anger that the Saints selected a different player)............or they forever want to be someone who "called it" if that player pans out.

I mentioned Ingram earlier in this thread...........as time went on between the 2011 kickoff game vs. Green Bay and prior to the 2013 Dallas game, my view of him went from the same hope I always have for draft picks to being perfectly content to just trade him away. When he slammed directly into a wall with the Saints needing only 1 yard on the final play of regulation against the Packers in his first game......I was frustrated, but also cognizant of the fact that he was a rookie in his first game. When Chris Ivory appeared to be the more effective runner during stretches of 2011/2012, my discontent grew. And in 2013.....when Pierre Thomas (who by this point was definitely supposed to be more of a complimentary piece than the main back) looked like our best RB on the roster for the first half of the season....I continued to wonder where all these Ingram comparisons to Emmitt Smith were coming from.

And I suspect it wasn't just me. Anyone who attended the 2013 Dallas game knows that early on, there were some pretty loud groans/boos in the Dome after some of his early ineffective runs. Obviously things changed as that game progressed.

NatureBoy

16x World Champion
Reaction score
I thought the question was about what picks you were WRONG about in the Payton era. I like the humility angle the OP was shooting for in the modern era.

I thought Grayson was a great pick...

Last edited:

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
For me, it was:

2015: Stephone Anthony (...thought he was going to be a solid acquisition)
2016: Mike Thomas (...knew he would be good, but didn't think he was going to be AS GOOD as he is)

:gosaints:
Hey NDCC! There is no question that its the Saints not going after Tommy Parsons. I still lose sleep over that one

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
lmao! I'm sticking with Tommy Parsons. That's my story, sad but true.

My new girlfriend actually has me going to church on Sunday morning. Mentally and Emotionally, I'm more screwed up than normal. That's kinda scary lol

Mr. Milne

The most unlikely hero
Reaction score
Good : Michael Thomas. I knew almost nothing about him, but I hated the pick. I wanted that entire draft to be defense. Plus, we had drafted a receiver in the first round just two years before! Stop picking all these receivers with early draft picks!!

So I nailed that one.

Bad : Garret Grayson. Not sure if I thought he’d be a future All-Pro, but I did not think he’d be a washout. I bought into the “most NFL ready” hype.

Gump

And there's a flag on the play..
Reaction score
Didn't understand the Alvin Kamara pick at all..........then first preseason game I was like "take him out before he gets hurt!!! hes going to be a star!!"

DomePatrol5657

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Alvin Kamara. I remember being furious that we traded up for a running back. The defense needed help and we were trading up for a running back. Needless to say I was not happy. What a fool I was.

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
Didn't understand the Alvin Kamara pick at all.........
I've seen this sentiment here and in other threads where some "didn't like" or "didn't understand" the pick at first...........and while the whole point of this thread is about admitting incorrectness.................I do have to ask, why were some so anti-Kamara? He was initially viewed as the next Bush / Sproles type of RB in our offense (obviously he ended up being so much more)....which Payton usually made a point to have in this offense......so what was the gripe? Was it because we'd signed Adrian Peterson just a few days prior to that draft?

OP
OP
ndcc

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sooooooo glad to be back in New Orleans!!!!!
I've seen this sentiment here and in other threads where some "didn't like" or "didn't understand" the pick at first...........and while the whole point of this thread is about admitting incorrectness.................I do have to ask, why were some so anti-Kamara? He was initially viewed as the next Bush / Sproles type of RB in our offense (obviously he ended up being so much more)....which Payton usually made a point to have in this offense......so what was the gripe? Was it because we'd signed Adrian Peterson just a few days prior to that draft?
We have a LOT of different points of view in the WhoDat Nation. I can deal with pretty much any of them... as long as they aren't rude or flame others who aren't reading from the same sheet of music (as they are).

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
We have a LOT of different points of view in the WhoDat Nation. I can deal with pretty much any of them... as long as they aren't rude or flame others who aren't reading from the same sheet of music (as they are).

Definitely not bashing anyone who was initially anti-Kamara................just curious as to why some were against the pick, considering we didn't have that type of RB on the roster right then.

I imagine only a select-few can truly say they were "right" about Kamara.........whether that means they didn't want him.............or whether it means they didn't know how truly good he would be.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)