In the Sean Payton era, which picks were you the MOST WRONG about (good or bad)? (2 Viewers)

Loved the Ingram pick when we made it. Then thought he was going to be a flop, then he turned out great.

So Ingram & Ingram :p

I learned my lesson, so I try not to get real high or low expectations for any player. I just feel mildly positive or mildly negative about picks in camp. Not to say I don't get excited when someone beasts out in camp, I do. I've learned that a "great prospect" can be cut any day, and a real dud can become a valuable player. I just get my popcorn and watch what happens.

Right: Sheldon Rankins. Loved him as a prospect, loved him as our pick, love him now as a pro.
Wrong: Martez Wilson. I believed he was going to be this hybrid pass rushing/run hunting/do it all LB.

It wasn't a pick,but I felt the signing of Brees was a huge mistake. I wanted to use the 2nd overall pick
to draft Matt Linehart.

Yup. Same boat, but different section of the ship.

I wanted us to sign Culpepper instead tho but still draft Reggie. These were the days when Madden was the extent of my football knowledge and that Vikings team was my go to selection.

Yup. Same boat, but different section of the ship.

I wanted us to sign Culpepper instead tho but still draft Reggie. These were the days when Madden was the extent of my football knowledge and that Vikings team was my go to selection.

I was never a fan of Culpepper. Imo, he built his stats throwing in the general direction of Randy Moss. During his prime,Moss would
come down with any pass thrown in the same area code he was. Linehart was 34-1 as a starter in college. His only loss was to
Texas in the 2005 title game. it wasn't his fault. If Carrol calls a reverse to Reggie Bush instead of handing the ball up the gut to
Lyndell Wright,USC wins that game and Linehart would be undefeated during his college career.

Right
1a) Cam Jordan - thought he was an absolute steal, his Dad was a very good NFL player with an outstanding work ethic, I knew Cam would be great for us....
1b) Reggie Bush - I knew he wouldn't be the MVP type impact back for us but would make plays in space and catch a lot of balls, but never a 20 carry a game type back that alot of folks thought he would be (alot of so-called experts were comparing him to Barry Sanders which I thought was ridiculous)....

Wrong
1a) Ellis - I thought he would be great for years for us, not sure why he wasn't...Maybe a combination of injuries and lack of work ethic?
2b) Anthony - same as above, except it appears that he had 0 in the football instincts, smarts department.

On a side note I absolutely hated the Cooks pick, trading up for a smallish WR? When we had so many other needs? At that point I was done with Payton making all the personnel decisions....thank god he wised up and acquired Jeff Ireland....

For me, it was:

2015: Stephone Anthony (...thought he was going to be a solid acquisition)
2016: Mike Thomas (...knew he would be good, but didn't think he was going to be AS GOOD as he is)

:gosaints:
high hopes for anthony.

mt i had no idea about, so beside colston, my favourite wr signings. i may even like mt a tad better, though colston had heart and soul that can’t be matched.

cooks. loved watching him in college. college also covered up his obsession with germs (has to be the reason, right?) and afraid for anyone to put their grubby hands on him. can’t be because he is scared to get hit...or can it?

For me, it was:

2015: Stephone Anthony (...thought he was going to be a solid acquisition)
2016: Mike Thomas (...knew he would be good, but didn't think he was going to be AS GOOD as he is)

:gosaints:
I hate to say this but I thought Reggie Bush would be better than he turned out to be. He was special at times but it took him forever to adapt his running style to the NFL. As far as the good,
Alvin Kamara WAS what I thought Reggie would be. I saw him play in college but I think AK is even better in the NFL. His style of running and vision makes him the most enjoyable running back to watch for me since Walter Payton.

When we moved up to draft Morstead, I was furious. We TRADED UP to draft a punter???? It wasn't a 1st round pick, so it wasn't as catastrophic as the Russell Erxleben pick, but I thought it was further proof that the Saints would forever be run by buffoons. Instead he ended up playing a key role in one of the most iconic plays in franchise history, he really should've made multiple Pro Bowls by now, and he seems like a swell guy in the community.

Like many here, I thought Stephone Anthony was going to be solid for us (oddly enough, the other guy I was high on in that draft was Malcolm Brown, so we'll see how he turns out for us). I thought Sedrick Ellis would play like Sheldon Rankins....To be fair to Ellis, he wasn't terrible for us, and any guy who was a starter on our Super Bowl team will forever be aces in my book, but he didn't live up to his hype. But that said, I was still surprised no one signed him after his rookie deal expired with us. He was ordinary and average, but not atrocious, and teams always look for mediocre guys to round out their depth charts (doubly so for mediocre guys who started for Super Bowl champs).

Toon - He seemed to have the makings of a good pro.
Ingram - Took me a while to come around. Probably more about his first few years than the pick itself.
Anthony - Wasn't crazy about the pick but never thought it would turn out that bad.

Not a draft pick (technically) but I was really excited when the Saints signed Pierre Thomas as an UDFA. I followed him at Illinois and always loved his ability.

Been wrong so many times it’s hard to remember all of the names...
I was really excited about Chip Vaughn and Stanley Arnoux though. Neither amounted to anything. I also really thought the Saints got a STEAL in Charles Brown at OT, and he was softer than baby poo

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom