India’s lunar mission finds evidence of water on the Moon (1 Viewer)

SWJJ

moar bink ball
Reaction score
Dreams of establishing a manned Moon base could become reality within two decades after India’s first lunar mission found evidence of large quantities of water on its surface.

Data from Chandrayaan-1 also suggests that water is still being formed on the Moon. Scientists said the breakthrough — to be announced by Nasa at a press conference today — would change the face of lunar exploration.

The discovery is a significant boost for India in its space race against China. Dr Mylswamy Annadurai, the mission’s project director at the Indian Space Research Organisation in Bangalore, said: “It’s very satisfying.”

The search for water was one of the mission’s main objectives, but it was a surprise nonetheless, scientists said.The unmanned craft was equipped with Nasa’s Moon Mineralogy Mapper, designed specifically to search for water by picking up the electromagnetic radiation emitted by minerals. The M3 also made the unexpected discovery that water may still be forming on the surface of the Moon, according to scientists familiar with the mission.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/space/article6846639.ece

This is potentially HUGE news!!!

Moonbase in my lifetime?
Awesome!!

I haven't read the article yet.. but how in the heck can water still be 'forming' on the moon ? Ancient left over ice water or what ever, I can kind of understand that..

Curb your enthusiasm my friend. This country is going to be spending most of its money the next couple of years on healthcare, carbon credits, and vote buying pork spending. NASA is pretty much dead in the water.

I heard they found bugs on the moon as well................Lunarticks. :smilielol::smilielol::smilielol:

Our current knowledge of the universe, what is out there, and reality has a whole = .0000001% of the truth and what there is to be discovered.

Classified picture of the Moon Mineralogy Mapper. Guaranteed to find water.

Attachments

• NASA's Moon Mineralogy Mapper.jpg
    NASA's Moon Mineralogy Mapper.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 167
How did we not know this before? And how is it that India is ahead of us in finding this out? Argh, our space program should be a lot more developed at this point.

I would not drink moon water.. nope. But it beats what they drink on the space station.

Amazing, I want to live on a moon base.

"all of your friends are nerds" - Ignignot

"On the Moon, nerds get their pants pulled down and they are spanked with Moonrocks." - Ur

Now is the time to start a water bottling company called "Moon Water" and charge like $50 per bottle and market it to the rich, powerful and crazy. We'll claim that the water has been in space, and under gamma radiation (like the Hulk and Fantastic 4) so it's chock full of anti-aging agents and will keep you young and beautiful forever. If we can just get J-Lo to get photographed drinking from a bottle we'll all be millionaires!

How did we not know this before? And how is it that India is ahead of us in finding this out? Argh, our space program should be a lot more developed at this point.

With the exception of the Apollo program, NASA budget constiutes annual less than 1% of the total us federal budgets. about 15 billion a year (in 2007 dollars).

Its amazing NASA has been able to do so much with so little over the years.

With the exception of the Apollo program, NASA budget constiutes annual less than 1% of the total us federal budgets. about 15 billion a year (in 2007 dollars).

Government programs never work though amirite?

Government programs never work though amirite?

Sure when they finially throw enough money at them, and have the proper people in place, who are adequately trained and spent a lifetime studying thier field, and not just hiring thier buddies with tax problems.

but outside of the military (NASA is part of the air force) Few Top level, cabinet level, or other high political appointees other than possibly judges are highly qualified in thier fields.

It is a sad day when we say 15 billion a year is so little. That is enough money to buy 750,000 $20,000 cars. What does it cost to find freakin water? :idunno:

Jerry Jones is charging $29 to see the moon on television but you're not allowed to take a whiz unless you leave the facility.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom