Indian food. (1 Viewer)

EASY recipe....

- Chicken breast. I halve the thick ones.
- 1/2 jar of vindaloo or masala paste (one that is intended to make a vindaloo meal)
- About 1 cup of unflavored yogurt.
- Cayenne pepper to taste and any other dry spices you desire.

Thoroughly mix paste, yogurt and dry spices. Add chicken breasts, making sure all sides are coated. Cover and allow to marinate ~24hrs in fridge.

Get your grill hot and cook the breasts until done.

I absolutely love both vindaloo and channa masala, extra spicy on both! I can take or leave most of the other stuff but have to admit the best meal of my life was an Indian influenced meal from indian chef gaggaan annand (and was like 35 courses). He's on chefs table on netflix if anyone is interested.

Interestingly enough, Tikka Masala (I think the most approachable and ubiquitous indian dish) is kind of like the chinese food you get in the states. Hugely popular in the west, almost impossible to find IN india.

I love Lusuni Gobi. At least at the Bay Leaf in BR. Lamb Padanda, Chicken Tikka masala, and pretty much any kind of naan they'll make me are also great choices.
For N.O. locals that remember India Palace in Metairie ... the India Palace owner (Dr. Rama Kongara) started up the Bay Leaf in Baton Rouge three years after Katrina. I don't know if the Bay Leaf is still owned by Dr. Kongara or not. Old article from 2011 below:

Interestingly enough, Tikka Masala (I think the most approachable and ubiquitous indian dish) is kind of like the chinese food you get in the states. Hugely popular in the west, almost impossible to find IN india.

I mentioned that I make that pretty regularly, and that doesn't surprise me at all. It's a pretty straightforward dish (tomatoes and cream (or coconut milk, as I make it) at its core), but still, it's really good, and easy to make spicy.

I try to eat chicken madras a few times per month. Love Indian food.

Chili chicken is my favorite dish that I’ve tried so far.

Bay Leaf and Swagat both have excellent buffets in BR.

we eat a lot of indian food...mostly because were indian but my wife started an instagram for her cooking if anyone is interested (@cookingcurescoronablues). heres a couple of pics: one is of her butter chicken and the other is of biryani.
That looks awesome! My housemate is from India (Mumbai) and she makes killer Indian food. She even grinds her own spices in a mortar. She is more into South Indian style and makes pretty healthy versions. We experimented with making dosas the other day, and those turned out great. We sometimes go to a local Indian grocery store that carries all kinds of interesting stuff. I love going there, and the prices for their produce rocks! I can always get fresh okra there.

So if I absolutely love spicy and love anything uniquely spiced and flavored, what are the must tries? I don’t think there is a heat level I can’t tolerate. I don’t eat spicy just for the sake of burning but will go to any level if that is what makes the dish.

So if I absolutely love spicy and love anything uniquely spiced and flavored, what are the must tries? I don’t think there is a heat level I can’t tolerate. I don’t eat spicy just for the sake of burning but will go to any level if that is what makes the dish.
Vindaloo is 1. Delicious and very spicy.

Chili chicken is my favorite dish that I’ve tried so far.

Bay Leaf and Swagat both have excellent buffets in BR.
I've not been to Swagat, but I much prefer to order and not buffet at Bay Leaf.
I'd recommend just picking something from the menu that you might not normally. It's how I found the items I like. If I'd not just said I want something I've no preconceived notions about, I'd never have tried the Gobi Lasuni.

Yeah, sometimes you get something you don't like, but others you get something wonderful untainted by expectations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom