Indian food. (1 Viewer)

I was very young when I ate at the place on Vets. It lit me up but I loved it. I tried Nirvana and didn’t like my choices. Then they did a buffet and I thought that was a way to try a bunch of things but again I didn’t like much of anything. I blamed it on buffet style and I pretty much stay as far away from that environment as I can. I will have to try the place on Metairie Rd and see. Thanks for the suggestions

if someone else had a buffet I may give it one more chance. Even if the quality were not a la carte quality seems like I should be able to at least see which foods I think would be good. But then I also doubt the spiciest stuff would be made for a buffet.

I was very young when I ate at the place on Vets. It lit me up but I loved it. I tried Nirvana and didn’t like my choices. Then they did a buffet and I thought that was a way to try a bunch of things but again I didn’t like much of anything. I blamed it on buffet style and I pretty much stay as far away from that environment as I can. I will have to try the place on Metairie Rd and see. Thanks for the suggestions

if someone else had a buffet I may give it one more chance. Even if the quality were not a la carte quality seems like I should be able to at least see which foods I think would be good. But then I also doubt the spiciest stuff would be made for a buffet.

Also not a fan of the buffet, Indian or otherwise.

And I'm pretty sure buffets are illegal now.

Also not a fan of the buffet, Indian or otherwise.

And I'm pretty sure buffets are illegal now.

valid point. Wasn’t even thinking of that. An Indian small plates location is in order then.

before I knew better I went to a sushi buffet in Kenner once. Worst idea ever.

So if I absolutely love spicy and love anything uniquely spiced and flavored, what are the must tries? I don’t think there is a heat level I can’t tolerate. I don’t eat spicy just for the sake of burning but will go to any level if that is what makes the dish.

Your bravado gave me flashbacks of ~12yrs ago... Was with my good Indian bud and we had ordered hot wings. The waiter delivered them (fancy hotel), my bud tried them and was thoroughly disappointed. He called the waiter over and told him, "is this a joke, I thought these were supposed to be HOT wings." The waiter took the plate and came back a few minutes later and presented the upgraded wings. My bud took one and bit into it. He looked the waiter in the eye and said, "c'mon man...these are like candy canes, my baby at home can eat these....please take them away and spice them up." A couple of minutes later the waiter shows up with the wings now cold, but newly glistening. He directly offered my bud the first take and he (bud) took it. To the utter dismay of the water, said bud ate one right up and was practically giddy, "now these are VERY good hot wings". I do enjoy spicy food, but one bite had me practically convulsing for the following 30min, and I swear I lost the top layer of skin throughout my entire lips, mouth and throat. For sure, tooth enamel was dissolved. In all of my days, I've never before, or since, had anything remotely close to that experience. It was life altering....

I visited the same hotel a couple months later and noticed the restaurant decorations were bottles of hot sauces from around the world, many hundreds of them. I have no doubt the waiter and chef took personal offense to my friend's critique of their culinary offering and they knew EXACTLY were to find the evil liquid death they gave us...

I've grown and enjoyed many types of peppers, including habenaros, and my BIL ($!!%$!!) grows ghost and a bunch of other exotic and ridiculously hot peppers. My ability to handle the heat has degraded with time, but N.O.N.E. of them come close to those wings.

Be careful Zack....

Last edited:
Your bravado gave me flashbacks of ~12yrs ago... Was with my good Indian bud and we had ordered hot wings. The waiter delivered them (fancy hotel), my bud tried them and was thoroughly disappointed. He called the waiter over and told him, "is this a joke, I thought these were supposed to be HOT wings." The waiter took the plate and came back a few minutes later and presented the upgraded wings. My bud took one and bit into it. He looked the waiter in the eye and said, "c'mon man...these are like candy canes, my baby at home can eat these....please take them away and spice them up." A couple of minutes later the waiter shows up with the wings now cold, but newly glistening. He directly offered my bud the first take and he (bud) took it. To the utter dismay of the water, said bud ate one right up and was practically giddy, "now these are VERY good hot wings". I do enjoy spicy food, but one bite had me practically convulsing for the following 30min, and I swear I lost the top layer of skin throughout my entire lips, mouth and throat. For sure, tooth enamel was dissolved. In all of my days, I've never before, or since, had anything remotely close to that experience. It was life altering....

I visited the same hotel a couple months later and noticed the restaurant decorations were bottles of hot sauces from around the world, many hundreds of them. I have no doubt the waiter and chef took personal offense to my friend's critique of their culinary offering and they knew EXACTLY were to find the evil liquid death they gave us...

Be careful Zack....

the bravado made me do such silliness when I was younger. I was having civiche in Mexico with my fiance's family and they were inquiring if Americans (North Americans lol) liked spicy. There was a whole habenaro in the civiche which I plucked out and bit off 3/4 of. I lived but it was in question for a while. Did the same sort of silliness with wasabi once. Anyway, I don't do stupid stuff like that anymore but I am always curious what "hot" really is to any people that think they eat hot.

Shyan's on Houma, behind Jimmy John's. The old Texas Barbecue place is definitely top 3 in Nola metro. There is also a new one down and across the street but I didn't care for it. International Market off Cleary, Richland I think they have heavy stock of Indian groceries too.

Shyan's on Houma, behind Jimmy John's (in Metairie). The old Texas Barbecue place is definitely top 3 in Nola metro.
Good call. It was been a while since we've eaten there, but we were impressed when we took the family.

One thing good about Shyan's is that if you're dining with people who don't do Indian food -- but you really want Indian -- Shyan's has a wide selection of non-Indian fare. Got a kid that only does chicken nuggets? Shyan's got 'em. French fries? Gyros? Fried chicken? Falafel? Hamburgers? Hummus? Fried fish? Shyan's got you covered.

Before I knew better I went to a sushi buffet in Kenner once. Worst idea ever.
If you're talking about Little Tokyo on Williams Blvd (not too far from the Williams entrance to the Esplanade Mall), that place used to be my jam.

It was actually a working sushi-chef school, so the offerings could be variable.

If you're talking about Little Tokyo on Williams Blvd (not too far from the Williams entrance to the Esplanade Mall), that place used to be my jam.

It was actually a working sushi-chef school, so the offerings could be variable.

thats cool. I didn't know that it was a school. I have gone away from the buffet all together now but to me sushi was just the wrong kind of food to be making in speed and bulk. Jiro dreams of sushi, but if he dreamed of it being made like that he probably would never sleep again. But the idea of getting to try many different things to figure out what your taste is for is not a bad one.

thats cool. I didn't know that it was a school. I have gone away from the buffet all together now but to me sushi was just the wrong kind of food to be making in speed and bulk. Jiro dreams of sushi, but if he dreamed of it being made like that he probably would never sleep again. But the idea of getting to try many different things to figure out what your taste is for is not a bad one.

Off topic, but if you get a chance, watch East Side Sushi (note - full length movie) - fun movie about a latina girl (I guess that's redundant) trying to become a sushi chef. I watched it randomly on Amazon one day and really enjoyed it.

Shyan's on Houma, behind Jimmy John's. The old Texas Barbecue place is definitely top 3 in Nola metro. There is also a new one down and across the street but I didn't care for it. International Market off Cleary, Richland I think they have heavy stock of Indian groceries too.

I 2nd Shyan's. It's really good and the staff is great. This is where I get my Indian fix. I used to drive to BR for the Bay Leaf lunch buffet, but haven't been there in a couple of years.

I absolutely love both vindaloo and channa masala, extra spicy on both! I can take or leave most of the other stuff but have to admit the best meal of my life was an Indian influenced meal from indian chef gaggaan annand (and was like 35 courses). He's on chefs table on netflix if anyone is interested.

Interestingly enough, Tikka Masala (I think the most approachable and ubiquitous indian dish) is kind of like the chinese food you get in the states. Hugely popular in the west, almost impossible to find IN india.

Tikka masala is from the UK

Kind of like Alfredo sauce, from the US not Italy

we eat a lot of indian food...mostly because were indian but my wife started an instagram for her cooking if anyone is interested (@cookingcurescoronablues). heres a couple of pics: one is of her butter chicken and the other is of biryani.
So I followed your wifes food instagram when this was originally posted and I have to say she is one hell of a cook! Every day almost she posts something I REALLY want to eat and Im around great food all day every day so it takes something really interesting and delicious looking to reallly grab my attention.

You tell her one of the chefs on SR thinks shes amazing!!!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom