Ineffective Draft Should Equal Stronger Push In Free Agency (1 Viewer)

This years FA crop was weak...tough to swallow I know...but better not to waste the money on mediocrity.

Faine was a draft day trade w/Cleveland. They got D'Qwell Jackson and we got Harper and Faine.

Brees had only two teams interested, NO and Miami. The Dolphins drs. wouldn't clear him so he signed with us.

Fujita was an August cut that we grabbed just before the 06 season.

We're only a few days into FA. If Sheppard is traded to us then FA doesn't look as bad. You also have the June 1st cuts.

Just from my limited knowlege of players, there were only maybe 6 or so worth the money they were/are asking.

We also traded for big Hollis Thomas. I have my fingers crossed that we still have some deals to be made before and during the draft.

I totally agree with that. I'm just saying if you look at it now. But you can say that the guys that are no longer here were poor picks obviously.

Looking at a draft class now (now=within one year of drafting) is pointless and inaccurate. Drafts aren't for instant starters. It is for the future.

The 06 draft was pretty good success. Colston, Bush, Evan all contributed immediatey and will be around here for a long time.

The 07 draft, while to early to label a bust, did not have the immediate impact that the 06 draftees did.

Simply put, we drafted in 07 for "long term", not to "win now", and it cost us.

I guess I should call it a below average draft yet. I'm a major supporter to Meachem. All my friends smash this pick all the time. I do agree with them if your going to spend a first rd. pick on someone, make sure they are healthy. Especially when we had so many needs other than WR. This is his year to prove 1st Rd. worhty.

I totally agree with that. I'm just saying if you look at it now. But you can say that the guys that are no longer here were poor picks obviously.

Certainly, but as has already been pointed out - it's not an exact science. New England cut all but one of their players last year and I don't think anyone would accuse them of being poor talent evaluators. Basically I think you've raised an interesting question.

Has FA helped us more than drafting [during the tenure of this coaching staff - obviously]?
Answer - Well Payton has only been around 2 years so I think it's a little to early to say. What I will say is that Free Agency is the easiest way to make a 'splash'. But if you really want to be a top team for years to come, the answer to your question, going forward from this point, has to be a big resounding no. If it isn't, then we're going to be having a lot more seasons like this one just passed.

Looking at a draft class now (now=within one year of drafting) is pointless and inaccurate. Drafts aren't for instant starters. It is for the future.

Top 10 picks should be for instant starters... I can see how the 27th pick would be a depth pick, but not those that are high in order.

Top 10 picks should be for instant starters... I can see how the 27th pick would be a depth pick, but not those that are high in order.

True. Just about anyone in the 1st round should be on the field THAT year. Meach, I guess, has been an exception to the rule whether we like it or not.

Everyone dogs the 2007 draft and yet there's a pretty good chance we'll end up with 3 2008 starters out of it: LG Andy Alleman , CB Usama Young, WR Robert Meachem. It's really way too early to prejudge the 2007 draft.

As to the original poster's point though. If we don't "draft well" the FO needs to be fired. Period. You can't correct draft mistakes in Free Agency long-term. You will not win that way. No team ever does. It's one thing to fill a critical hole or two in Free Agency but if you aren't drafting well, you aren't winning.

I guess my main problem is that we dont have time to win later. We need to win now. With all the talk about moving our Saints, we need to win now. If we dont make a move to fix our secondary, we could have another losing season.

I guess my main problem is that we dont have time to win later.

We have plenty of time to win later. We want to "win now". Everyone wants to "win now". We have the tools to "win now". We should "win now". But this isn't the last year to "win now"

Our team is pretty young and assuming they get Will Smith, Marques Colston, and Jammal Brown extended, relatively under contract. Brees only recently turned 29. He's got a half decade at least left. And as far as the Saints moving going, I doubt us winning will influence that.

I guess my main problem is that we dont have time to win later. We need to win now.

Why? You going somewhere???

I think from everything that we've seen (and discussed) the current FO appear to be planning for the future. That's a good thing. That means we're building a foundation which will hopefully last us for years. In my opinion that's more important than having another 'flash in the pan' season.

And as Spam says, I don't think any amount of success will prevent the team moving if it is decided that is what should happen (though hope & pray it doesn't).

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more!!!!

I think EVERY draft pick should be made with the intentions of finding a starter. Therefore, not only should the 27th pick be for a starter, the 270th pick should also be for a starter! I realize every pick won't pan out that way, but that's where depth comes from.........intended starters who couldn't quite crack the lineup.

There are examples throughout the league of later round picks who are not only starters, but stars........Tom Brady in the 6th, Terrell Davis (now retired) in the 6th(?), our own Mike Karney in the 4th(?) and Marques Colston in the 7th, are just a few that come to mind. Starters are available in EVERY round... FIND THEM!!!!!

It's kinda like that old cliche "if you shoot for the moon, but miss, you've got nothing.....if you shoot for the STARS, but miss, you've still got a good shot at the moon!"

Draft for STARTERS and depth will follow as a by-product!

Why? You going somewhere???

I think from everything that we've seen (and discussed) the current FO appear to be planning for the future. That's a good thing. That means we're building a foundation which will hopefully last us for years. In my opinion that's more important than having another 'flash in the pan' season.

No, Im not going anywhere but the saints still could be moved. Correct me if I'm wrong but
the saints contract in New Orleans ends 2010.

If you put 06 and 07 drafts together I would grade it like this:

06- average to above average
07-extemely below average

combined- below average
*If the 07 draft wouldn't have been so bad I would give us an average grade. Every team in the NFl had rookies that contributed in a major way(in 07) Except us!

I disagree. Drafting four starters in the draft, having two of them be rookie of the year candidates and record breakers is much better than average. The 06 draft was as good as the 07 draft was bad.

No, Im not going anywhere but the saints still could be moved. Correct me if I'm wrong but
the saints contract in New Orleans ends 2010.

The lease on the Superdome is what runs out in 2010. But honestly, with all the League has done to help the franchise (including this years International Series game) I'd be surprised to see them moved to L.A. (as has been proposed) or anywhere else. We have a waiting list 35,000 strong of people to get a season ticket. That's a lot better than some teams in the NFL and can only continue to improve as the area recovers from Katrina.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom