Ineffective Draft Should Equal Stronger Push In Free Agency (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
As poorly as we have drafted in the past, you would think that we would make a stronger push in free agency. When we picked up Faine, Brees, and Fajita...that got us to the NFC championship. No major moves last year in free agency got us no where. The saints just do not draft well. They got lucky with Colston, I will admit that(like Payton said if they knew he was going to be that good, they wouldn't of waited to the 7th rd.).

All I'm saying is that free agency has helped us more in the past than drafting. Last year, how many players from the draft even played? I just hope we still have some tricks up or sleeves before all the deals are done and free agency is all but over. Do you agree?

As poorly as we have drafted in the past

That's a tough blanket statement to start an argument with. The 2006 draft was probably the best in team history and the 2007 draft was below average. So, of the two drafts the mark the current coaching staff we are at worst average at drafting.

If you put 06 and 07 drafts together I would grade it like this:

06- average to above average
07-extemely below average

combined- below average
*If the 07 draft wouldn't have been so bad I would give us an average grade. Every team in the NFl had rookies that contributed in a major way(in 07) Except us!

combined- below average
*If the 07 draft wouldn't have been so bad I would give us an average grade. Every team in the NFl had rookies that contributed in a major way(in 07) Except us!

Sorry dude but it's too early to tell about the 07 draft class. You can say that in 07 they were below average and I'd be the first to agree with you, but you can't grade the class until you've seen them all. After this year, then you can give them a grade.

As poorly as we have drafted in the past, you would think that we would make a stronger push in free agency. When we picked up Faine, Brees, and Fajita...that got us to the NFC championship. No major moves last year in free agency got us no where. The saints just do not draft well. They got lucky with Colston, I will admit that(like Payton said if they knew he was going to be that good, they wouldn't of waited to the 7th rd.).

All I'm saying is that free agency has helped us more in the past than drafting. Last year, how many players from the draft even played? I just hope we still have some tricks up or sleeves before all the deals are done and free agency is all but over. Do you agree?

Faine was a draft day trade w/Cleveland. They got D'Qwell Jackson and we got Harper and Faine.

Brees had only two teams interested, NO and Miami. The Dolphins drs. wouldn't clear him so he signed with us.

Fujita was an August cut that we grabbed just before the 06 season.

We're only a few days into FA. If Sheppard is traded to us then FA doesn't look as bad. You also have the June 1st cuts.

Just from my limited knowlege of players, there were only maybe 6 or so worth the money they were/are asking.

combined- below average

1 2(2) Reggie Bush RB USC
2 11(43) Roman Harper S Alabama
4 11(108) Jahri Evans OG Bloomsburg
5 2(135) Rob Ninkovich DE Purdue
6 2(171) Mike Hass WR Oregon State
6 5(174) Bernard (Josh) Lay CB Pittsburgh
7 2(210) Zach Strief T Northwestern
7 44(252) Marques Colston WR Hofstra

3 potential Game changers on Offense

Bush
Evans
Colston

2 solid starters

Harper
Strief (I know he's not a starter, but I think he's capable)

Maybe it's just expectations from the draft, but to my eye the 3 game changers is a once in a generation draft. Again, just my opinion.

WAY too early to judge last year's draft and nothing compares to the 06 draft. We may have atleast 3 starters from the 07 draft (Young, Alleman, Bushrod). Does that make it a bust draft? I don't think so.

If every draft were dead on, then alot of our favorite vets would be pushed aside for new blood. I don't think any of us want that. What if we drafted a stud QB. Would you want him to replace Drew? I doubt it. What about a stud WR? Same thing. People would be up in arms if we had to push Colston to the side.

You grade it yourself:

WR Robert Meachem Poor pick, never played a down
CB Usama Young poor pick b/c he could of been picked later in draft
OG Andy Alleman decent pick
RB Antonio Pittman poor pick
OT Jermon Bushrod undecided
CB David Jones poor pick
7.10 LB Marvin Mitchell poor pick

RB Reggie Bush
SS Roman Harper
OG Jahri Evans
DE Rob Ninkovich
WR Mike Hass
CB Josh 'Bernard' Lay
OT Zach Strief
WR Marques Colston

Sorry dude but it's too early to tell about the 07 draft class. You can say that in 07 they were below average and I'd be the first to agree with you, but you can't grade the class until you've seen them all. After this year, then you can give them a grade.

I totally agree with that. I'm just saying if you look at it now. But you can say that the guys that are no longer here were poor picks obviously.

You grade it yourself

If we've all just told you it's too early to tell why would we grade it ourselves? It is impossible to tell how Meachem et al will perform. Have a little patience.

You grade it yourself:

WR Robert Meachem Poor pick, never played a down
CB Usama Young poor pick b/c he could of been picked later in draft
OG Andy Alleman decent pick
RB Antonio Pittman poor pick
OT Jermon Bushrod undecided
CB David Jones poor pick
7.10 LB Marvin Mitchell poor pick

RB Reggie Bush
SS Roman Harper
OG Jahri Evans
DE Rob Ninkovich
WR Mike Hass
CB Josh 'Bernard' Lay
OT Zach Strief
WR Marques Colston

Bushrod, Alleman, Young and Meach could all be starters this year. If that's the case, then was it a bad draft? I doubt it. Especially at those salaries.

The 06 draft was pretty good success. Colston, Bush, Evan all contributed immediatey and will be around here for a long time.

The 07 draft, while to early to label a bust, did not have the immediate impact that the 06 draftees did.

Simply put, we drafted in 07 for "long term", not to "win now", and it cost us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom