Inflation here? gas/grocery prices just continue to climb (3 Viewers)

Correct. It's not only affected eggs, it caused a shortage of turkeys for
Thanksgiving. I work in the dining halls at Keesler. We barely had enough
to feed the airmen dinner. The Avian flu is still going on.

Yeah, I saw this like 2-3 weeks ago, and was like, nope. Ok kids, no eggs, no baking. And if I wanted an omlette, I got a carton of egg beaters.

24 pack of pasture raised eggs? Where??

I used to buy the 'cage free' eggs but then read that what you really want are pasture raised because cage free just means they aren't in a cage but are often & usually stuffed into one giant azzz chicken coop like a bunch of sardines and aren't necessarily any better than caged.

So when I switched from cage free to the pasture raised at TJ's, they were $3.50. Over the last year or so because of 'inflation' had gone up to $4 but in the last few weeks are now at $5.
Still, it's interesting to see how they're fairing better in this egg crisis, likely due to the conditions of the chickens leading to fewer affected by the Avian Flu.

Feed prices and fuel costs would still drive the increase you're seeing.

24 pack of pasture raised eggs? Where??

I used to buy the 'cage free' eggs but then read that what you really want are pasture raised because cage free just means they aren't in a cage but are often & usually stuffed into one giant azzz chicken coop like a bunch of sardines and aren't necessarily any better than caged.

So when I switched from cage free to the pasture raised at TJ's, they were $3.50. Over the last year or so because of 'inflation' had gone up to $4 but in the last few weeks are now at $5.
I think it was the cage free eggs, but I think it was one of the cheaper brands. I didn't think about the difference between cage free and pasture raised. I didn't even know there were pasture raised options. TIL, yeah.

No way feed and fuel could justify this drastic increase in price.
Another factor could be that the producer raised the production cost so they have to make a profit somehow

Even “regular” eggs have jumped in price. 18 count eggs have gone up to almost $6

What's weird to me about recent egg prices is that you'd think if avian flu is making chicken eggs more scarce, local grocers like WalMart Fresh Market, Rouses, and Winn Dixie would have bare shelves. I don't know what's going on at Whole Foods to have empty egg shelves ... but at the regular grocery stores around here, there's loads of eggs. At least triple the price they were in November.

No explanation I've yet heard really explains it in an intuitively plausible way. I'm sure the sudden** increase in egg prices is multi-factorial, but still. Hard to believe there's not some hedging/gouging going on -- maybe producers feel like things are getting worse still and so they have to overcharge now while they can to prepare for upcoming lean period? Dunno.

** and that's another confusing aspect -- why wasn't it a gradual raise over several months?

Gas has crept back up as well. Filled up yesterday at $3.89/gal 93 Octane

hopefully very short spike.

Gas has crept back up as well. Filled up yesterday at $3.89/gal 93 Octane

hopefully very short spike.
It's starting to drop again here on the coast. I heard on WWL radio the
gas price rise was due to some northern refineries shutting down
during the Christmas cold snap. That coupled with the busiest travel
time of the year put heavy demand on a limited supply. The refineries
are now running and we will start seeing prices begin to drop

If you also noticed items made with eggs have a noticeable price difference, for example, mayo has really gone up in price.

I wondered why I couldn't find eggs anywhere in town yesterday. Now I know. I should read this thread more often.

No way feed and fuel could justify this drastic increase in price.
Only for the cage free eggs that came back and are still like $5 a dozen.

I was specifically NOT talking about regular eggs that are stupid high priced.

It was a specific reply to Capital City Saint's post.

What's weird to me about recent egg prices is that you'd think if avian flu is making chicken eggs more scarce, local grocers like WalMart Fresh Market, Rouses, and Winn Dixie would have bare shelves. I don't know what's going on at Whole Foods to have empty egg shelves ... but at the regular grocery stores around here, there's loads of eggs. At least triple the price they were in November.

No explanation I've yet heard really explains it in an intuitively plausible way. I'm sure the sudden** increase in egg prices is multi-factorial, but still. Hard to believe there's not some hedging/gouging going on -- maybe producers feel like things are getting worse still and so they have to overcharge now while they can to prepare for upcoming lean period? Dunno.

** and that's another confusing aspect -- why wasn't it a gradual raise over several months?

It may be hedging/gouging to some degree, but its really just retail doing what it has always done, which is finding the price point to keep the stock steady.

Hard to say what the grocers are paying for the eggs, but whether they are paying $1/dozen or $10/dozen, they're charging whatever people will pay for them. For all we know they're temporarily losing money on eggs, but since they're perishable, you still have to get rid of them.

In regards to some stores having more than others, there might just be some hyper-local factors to it. I saw a guy at Aldi the other day loading up 2 FULL CARTS of eggs. He bought out the store. I literally took one out of his cart telling him I had a baby at home that needed them, and he fully understood. He definitely owned a restaurant or maybe a market or something. But I'm guessing that there are a good amount of people around the country who are looking for deals and doing the same thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom