Inflation here? gas/grocery prices just continue to climb (4 Viewers)

In just 2 years, the home price appreciated 30%?? thats simply insane and unsustainable.

Maybe.. but that’s fairly typical for many areas of the U.S. in 2021, if not on the low end…. I think/hope it will correct, but i dont think it’ll crash.. of course, there’s always winners and losers- a crash would be great for me since i sold my home in Lakeview a couple years ago and have been sitting out the market, renting and waiting for a home to buy once things cool off.

Have you tried to purchase a flank steak for Taco Tuesday? $35 each.

I was at a local restaurant last week and the filet was not on the menu. I am friends with the owner and she said that she had to take it off temporarly because her cost for filets were $45 each.
we have had to take a few things off of our menu temporarily due to food costs. From conversations I have had with our suppliers, some of it is covid and some of it was Ida.

Maybe.. but that’s fairly typical for many areas of the U.S. in 2021, if not on the low end…. I think/hope it will correct, but i dont think it’ll crash.. of course, there’s always winners and losers- a crash would be great for me since i sold my home in Lakeview a couple years ago and have been sitting out the market, renting and waiting for a home to buy once things cool off.

i dont think a "crash" in the 2008/9 sense- but a correction? absolutely coming. And if you bought at peak, it wont be good. Especially if the economy as a whole faces an extended period of pressures.

This is so depressing. And not in that cliché/figure-of-speech kinda way. Like, literally.

I wish I knew how to buy drugs. I would fund some dealer's entire life.
It is depressing and I (edit) hope our leaders can navigate these waters.

Last edited:
Yeah i didnt think of it when posting - sounds crass when i read it back.

But its indicative of a broader overall issue affecting me much less than those on a REALLY tight budget and ultimately cause me ( and everyone else ) to re-assess my monthly expenses which will, in turn affect the overall economic health. Its a downward spiral once it gets going, which is where i was going with the overall theme.

I know what you meant. Just giving you a hard time :hihi:

We’ve definitely felt the pinch in the last few weeks.

A brake job for my wife’s car (only rear brakes and rotors) that would normally cost about $400 ended up being around $700.

Our homeowner’s and car insurances both jumped pretty significantly at renewal time.

Expecting our property taxes to rise this year due to insanely overpriced property values. Our home that we purchase in early 2018 is up 40% since then. It’s absurd and not reflective of what our home is truly worth.

Food and gas are definitely the most obvious day-to-day pinch. They’re the items most often purchased, so we definitely notice it.

We’ve been saving a lot over the last few months, but we’re definitely going to have to reduce the rate of saving next month.

We’ve definitely felt the pinch in the last few weeks.

A brake job for my wife’s car (only rear brakes and rotors) that would normally cost about $400 ended up being around $700.

Our homeowner’s and car insurances both jumped pretty significantly at renewal time.

Expecting our property taxes to rise this year due to insanely overpriced property values. Our home that we purchase in early 2018 is up 40% since then. It’s absurd and not reflective of what our home is truly worth.

Food and gas are definitely the most obvious day-to-day pinch. They’re the items most often purchased, so we definitely notice it.

We’ve been saving a lot over the last few months, but we’re definitely going to have to reduce the rate of saving next month.
the savings- thats what will take a hit.

for every single person feeling the pinch- the quickest and easiest way to supplement higher costs of living, lower your savings.

I have one entering college next year. While TOPS will help significantly, it wont cover all ( mainly room/board costs- which is a topic for another thread ) and my initial calculations are keeping it in line with what it costs for high school, but since this is my 1st going off, im worried im missing expenses/costs etc that i just didnt account for.

And while i have $$$ saved for her college, i have a younger one in 5 years off as well. So my fear is my savings for her wont be enough.

So many moving parts.

I can’t even really reasonably describe what we’ve seen here, too, in terms of housing costs.

And the price of gas is always high here and driving 100km each day for work - the pump adds up. And the price of food here is noticeably higher.

Im not kidding when I told my wife I think we should be cooking more Cajun staples because it can be done for cheaper. I’ll eat red beans and rice for a week.

I can’t even really reasonably describe what we’ve seen here, too, in terms of housing costs.

And the price of gas is always high here and driving 100km each day for work - the pump adds up. And the price of food here is noticeably higher.

Im not kidding when I told my wife I think we should be cooking more Cajun staples because it can be done for cheaper. I’ll eat red beans and rice for a week.
In Ascension Parish, people are paying over asking price for houses. Most houses end up in a bidding war. My Sister in law just bought a house. Every house she looked at was gone before she could even decide. She got lucky and found someone selling that was moving for work and took her first offer and decided not to take any others because he was in pinch to get it sold as soon as possible. Her Realtor said when she was looking that she wouldn't be able to mull over any house for long or she would miss it,
She didn't even have to put her other house on the market, word of mouth got it sold for 10K over what she was gonna ask.

As an aside ( when i saw kilometers) just to show how "American " i am;

Wife and I honeymooned in St. Maartens. I had a jeep rented for the week. You know the drill- bring back full or pay 3x the going cost for gas.

So on morning of departure we driving and there is a Texaco...the sign ( flip numbers mind you- no electronic sign lol ) said $1.08.

I pulled in, told the young man to FILL ER UP like a baller and proceeded inside to get some snacks. Got to the counter and told em im on pump 3 - She said ok total is $78 - I WAS LIKE WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Your sign said $1.08?!?!?!?

Liters.

LOL.

In Ascension Parish, people are paying over asking price for houses. Most houses end up in a bidding war. My Sister in law just bought a house. Every house she looked at was gone before she could even decide. She got lucky and found someone selling that was moving for work and took her first offer and decided not to take any others because he was in pinch to get it sold as soon as possible. Her Realtor said when she was looking that she wouldn't be able to mull over any house for long or she would miss it,
She didn't even have to put her other house on the market, word of mouth got it sold for 10K over what she was gonna ask.

Yup. Over asking here, too. In a snap, to boot.

There’s a house a couple of blocks away - 3 br, 2.5 bath, 1800 sq ft with a finished basement that would have gone for 300k when we bought to nearly 1 million now.

Who can afford this? Out of university? Young families? No way.

Former neighbors of ours were trying to convince us to sell ours because of the money we’d make. But we’d just turn around and have to put it into something else.

I’d rather stay out.

As an aside ( when i saw kilometers) just to show how "American " i am;

Wife and I honeymooned in St. Maartens. I had a jeep rented for the week. You know the drill- bring back full or pay 3x the going cost for gas.

So on morning of departure we driving and there is a Texaco...the sign ( flip numbers mind you- no electronic sign lol ) said $1.08.

I pulled in, told the young man to FILL ER UP like a baller and proceeded inside to get some snacks. Got to the counter and told em im on pump 3 - She said ok total is $78 - I WAS LIKE WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Your sign said $1.08?!?!?!?

Liters.

LOL.

Happens all the time. Sign says “1.49” right now and that means 70 bucks to fill up.

Litres. SMH

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom