Ingram and other Saints "too urban" for London club (1 Viewer)

Mojomajik9

Team Gleason
Reaction score
Mark Ingram and New Orleans Saints teammates Vonn Bell, Sterling Moore and B.W. Webb apparently were turned away from London nightclub Cirque Le Soir on Monday for looking "too urban," the running back said in a series of tweets late Monday night.

Mark Ingram, New Orleans Saints teammates 'too urban' for London nightclub, he says | NOLA.com

Sad this kinda thing happens, but Mark took it in stride and did get #toourban trending on Twitter tonight.

The Advocate has a few more details

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...cle_4413061e-fd5d-11e6-8c6e-5fa4de41348f.html

I don't know what to think here. Maybe there was some sort of dress code and their clothes were "too urban?" Maybe the word "urban" in London isn't code for "black" like it is here in the states.

I'm sure the club will release a statement soon about their version of what went on here. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, for now.

If they look "too urban", I guess I look straight-up suspect. London sucks anyway. $20 for a burger...

Were they dressed like Keith Urban? I can see how that would be offensive.

I've been places where dress codes were enforced to strictly weed out blacks due to the attire they were likely wearing.

Now...because you can get in the club with a button up on like everyone else it means it has less to do with discrimination of race, and more to do with discrimination of people likely to cause trouble.

Black or white, guys that are wearing backwards caps, torn jeans, etc etc....look like people who start fights and cause trouble.

I don't agree with it but to an extent you do the same thing with Age restrictions. You make a party 25 and up + causal wear because it weeds out the young idiots that aren't there to get their grown and sexy on.

Mark handled it like any other logical thinking person would........."on to the next club" There's room to get irked about it but its so not necessary in this situation. I've had it happen to me in Lafayette, and down town Baton Rouge but when you comprehend the logic of it....its just not severe.

Maybe there was some sort of dress code and their clothes were "too urban?"
More like a "'pretentious club that thinks it's better than it is' issue". From their Facebook page: "As an exclusive members club, we cannot guarantee entry to anyone and full discretion always lies with the door. We particularly discourage casual dress code, intoxicated customers & male heavy entourages." Which means, typically, "we won't let you in if we don't like the look of you, unless you're mostly ladies in skimpy clothing, in which case come on in."

Maybe the word "urban" in London isn't code for "black" like it is here in the states.
Depends on the context, but in this context, yes, it is. We know what it means.

Incidentally, the story is making the national media over here, e.g.:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/28/nfl-players-mark-ingram-denied-entry-too-urban
Cirque Le Soir turns away New Orleans Saints NFL players 'for being too urban' | London Evening Standard

More like a "'pretentious club that thinks it's better than it is' issue". From their Facebook page: "As an exclusive members club, we cannot guarantee entry to anyone and full discretion always lies with the door. We particularly discourage casual dress code, intoxicated customers & male heavy entourages." Which means, typically, "we won't let you in if we don't like the look of you, unless you're mostly ladies in skimpy clothing, in which case come on in."

Depends on the context, but in this context, yes, it is. We know what it means.

Incidentally, the story is making the national media over here, e.g.:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/28/nfl-players-mark-ingram-denied-entry-too-urban
Cirque Le Soir turns away New Orleans Saints NFL players 'for being too urban' | London Evening Standard

Thanks for the info. I'm really interested to hear the club's stance here.

I've been rejected by restaurants in CHI and DET for not wearing a tie. Luckily, the rest of my dress was OK and the maitre d' loaned me one. I was embarrassed and indignant, but didn't want to burn the places down. It was on me, I should have checked on the dress code.

If "too urban" means they didn't make the dress code, then ok, fine. But they should've just stated they didn't make the dress code. Don't say they're "too urban." Whatever that means.

While I'm not going to start a protest about it, I also think it's dumb to make excuses for the club without even knowing what they meant.

I've been to lesser clubs that turn away anybody looking too "STREET". I've been to black owned high end clubs that did the same. Personally if I'm going to a high in spot, I like to dress accordingly, you know, "when in Rome". Now if they fit the required garb and still were turned away, It could very well be about more than attire. Who knows? I do know that I've been prejudice in my thoughts about others as well. I thought that the UK version of "Urban" was favorable to Ali G

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom