Ingram or Hightower who's should start? (1 Viewer)

Who should be the starting running back against San Francisco?

• Mark Ingram

Votes: 97 28.8%
  • Tim Hightower

Votes: 203 60.2%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 37 11.0%

• Total voters
I'm pretty sure no one on here believes Hightower is our future answer at RB, but he's the best we have right now. IMO, he seems more comfortable running the ball, faster at hitting holes, and stronger than Ingram. Like someone else pointed out, we don't see how they do in practice and Ingram may have some Fire building up he wants to unleash, but I'd have to go with the hot hand and play Hightower until Ingram can prove he can play better.

Yep. Hightower till we get into Goal line situations. Ingram is the man when you need a guaranteed couple

I think it's Mark, but I'm sure Hightower will get his fair share of runs. After hearing him speak, Ingram sounds he's been quietly sharpening his teeth waiting for another chance. I can't wait to see how he responds.

Not about who starts. It's about who gets the most carries.

Pretty much. I'd say play em both and evaluate as you go. Starting isn't really that big a deal IMO. What matters more is whether we stay balanced on offense and go with whoever is performing well.

Imho... you start Hightower, not for the benching, or for the 100yd game. You start Hightower because of the way he hits the holes, you let him set the pace, get some rushing yards on the board, then let Ingram come in to continue to pound on a defense that is on their heels, and having to respect the play action. Let Lasco finish out the game, with a little bit of Ingram's bruising style, and little bit of Hightower's burst speed combined. My thoughts is that it would benefit all three backs, and possibly make it easier to stay closer to our 60/40 balanced attack sweet spot.

Just my thoughts and 2 cents. Couldn't care less as long as we win!

Time for a blowout game, 42-17 style. Crush them! WHO DAT!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The only reason I said Hightower is to make Ingram earn it back. Tim took it from Mark. How bad does he want it back? GEAUX SAINTS!

Ingram is better when he is fighting to get back on the field. Saints offense is better with Hightower, no doubt.

Hightower. First 100 yard rusher speaks volumes. Especially against one of the best defenses in the league. Ingram just isn't explosive enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it's called finally giving your running back 25+ carries in a game.

Hightower got 100 yards because of volume, not because of anything special he was doing. He averaged 3.9 yards per carry last weekend, and that's even with a 28 yard run. Ingram for the past three seasons has averaged 4.6 ypc, 4.3 ypc, and 4.9 ypc; the issue is we just refuse to stop rotating our backs and let him get into rhythm. If he had the type of volume most starting RBs get when posting those types of averages, he'd have been a 1,400 yard back for us.

I love Hightower, but Ingram is the superior back. I think benching him because of one fluke fumble while being held up in a pile was silly. The guy isn't suddenly fumble prone, in fact, he is one of the better backs in the league as far as ball security.

Give Ingram the chance to carry the ball 25 times just once, especially late in the game when defenses are tired and you can start getting chunks. Also keep in mind, unlike Ingram, Hightower got to run behind a healthy starting OL in that game. Ingram has been getting hit in the backfield a lot running behind backups.

All that said, I love Hightower and what he brings to the team. I just believe Ingram is better than we give him credit for and is the better player, both in the run game and pass game.

it's not like we don't have a topic on Ingram vs (insert backup name) every week since he got drafted...

Hightower got 100 yards because of volume, not because of anything special he was doing. He averaged less than 3.9 yards per carry last weekend, and that's even with a 28 yard run. Ingram for the past three seasons has averaged 4.6 ypc, 4.3 ypc, and 4.9 ypc; the issue is we just refuse to stop rotating our backs and let him get into rhythm. If he had the type of volume most starting RBs get when posting those types of averages, he'd have been a 1,400 yard back for us.

I love Hightower, but Ingram is the superior back. I think benching him because of one fluke fumble while being held up in a pile was silly. The guy isn't suddenly fumble prone, in fact, he is one of the better backs in the league as far as ball security.

Give Ingram the chance to carry the ball 25 times just once, especially late in the game when defenses are tired and you can start getting chunks. Also keep in mind, unlike Ingram, Hightower got to run behind a healthy starting OL in that game. Ingram has been getting hit in the backfield a lot running behind backups.

All that said, I love Hightower and what he brings to the team. I just believe Ingram is better than we give him credit for and is the better player, both in the run game and pass game.
I started saying this last year when Ingram got hurt. I like Hightower as much as the next guy but he is not explosive and will never be. Give it to Ingram as many times a game as you do to hightowower and sit back and enjoy. I don't ever remember ingram getting the ball that many times a game like Hightower does.

I'm not particularly in favor of Ingram losing his job, but I could get behind Hightower being the early down back more often, and Ingram serving as the 3rd down and goal line back for a bit. I think those roles would be much more fitting than we may think they would...

I voted for Ingram as the starter but what you say is very interesting and I would like to subscribe to your news letter.

Hightower got 100 yards because of volume, not because of anything special he was doing. He averaged 3.9 yards per carry last weekend, and that's even with a 28 yard run. Ingram for the past three seasons has averaged 4.6 ypc, 4.3 ypc, and 4.9 ypc; the issue is we just refuse to stop rotating our backs and let him get into rhythm. If he had the type of volume most starting RBs get when posting those types of averages, he'd have been a 1,400 yard back for us.

Here's a novel post. A well thought out logistical look at the facts surrounding the issue. YPC speaks volumes. Does it mean I would start Ingram? Honestly, I would wait for the week of practice to play out. However, there is no doubt that Hightower has earned more touches, no matter who the starter is. We are entering a dangerous stretch of trap games. Use the hot hand, WHOMEVER that may be. Duke it out during the week, and let the results speak for themselves. Then judge which is performing best as the game begins to unfold.

HT.

I actually like the "two headed monster" concept. It will interesting to see how Ingram bounces back this weekend though.

Imho... you start Hightower, not for the benching, or for the 100yd game. You start Hightower because of the way he hits the holes, you let him set the pace, get some rushing yards on the board, then let Ingram come in to continue to pound on a defense that is on their heels, and having to respect the play action. Let Lasco finish out the game, with a little bit of Ingram's bruising style, and little bit of Hightower's burst speed combined. My thoughts is that it would benefit all three backs, and possibly make it easier to stay closer to our 60/40 balanced attack sweet spot.

Just my thoughts and 2 cents. Couldn't care less as long as we win!

Time for a blowout game, 42-17 style. Crush them! WHO DAT!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Agreed, Ingram is too complacent at times. He doesn't see a huge gaping hole so he gets runs into the back of the Olinemen. Where Hightower knows he has to earn his carries, so he more inclined to bust through gaps and make five yards. MI seemed to be getting better the last couple of years, but now seems to be developing old habits again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom