Ingram or Hightower who's should start? (1 Viewer)

Who should be the starting running back against San Francisco?

• Mark Ingram

Votes: 97 28.8%
  • Tim Hightower

Votes: 203 60.2%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 37 11.0%

• Total voters
Ingram always comes in and plays better when he's got a chip on his shoulder so I have to roll with him.

Give Ingram as many touches as Hightower got last game and see what happens.

People have posted they both average 3.9 but the NFL site shows Hightower at 4.2

Non-Fumbling Syndrome.

Tough two games for Ingram. He deserved the bench. But he's no where near a fumble prone back.

He's also not good enough to play through a fumble. He doesn't do anythint so special that makes you want to deal with it. But he's still the best back on the team.

hightower earned it let em roll. Ingram back up

That is a tough question but I am of the minority view (based on poll) to believe that Payton gives Ingram the start on Sunday. Now I believe if that occurs Ingram will be on a short leash with Payton knowing that he has a horse in Hightower to come in. I am not talking only about the recent fumbling issues but with seeing Ingram hit the holes with authority and get yardage like he did at times last year. IMO Ingram has not been nearly as explosive as he has been in past years.

I am hoping that if/when Ingram gets a chance to tote the ball that he will be doing so with something to prove, which is always a great motivator for a competitor.

Keeping in mind that Hightower couldn't make the team last season. No other teams wanted him. And he only ended up back on our roster because of the injury to Robinson.......but yeah. He looked alight one game. Let's make him a starter.

Interesting to note. If Hightower IS named starter, Ingram will then become the most popular for our running backs as he will be the backup. The curse of the Saint fan to naively pretend the backup running back is better than the starter.

Guess you don't buy into the, old wives tale 'believe what your eyes tell you to believe'?
mb

My policy has remained the same the entire Payton tenure. I don't care who is our RB...only that one RB sees 75% of the the offensive looks.

My policy has remained the same the entire Payton tenure. I don't care who is our RB...only that one RB sees 75% of the the offensive looks.

75%? That will never happen with Payton as head coach. And that happens on very few teams. 50-60% sure, but not 75%.

Hightower. First 100 yard rusher speaks volumes. Especially against one of the best defenses in the league. Ingram just isn't explosive enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO Hightower's 100 yards were more attributable to game plan and Payton's stubbornness than any difference in performance between he and Ingram.

He had 25 carries. Ingram never gets that many.

half of his carries were totally useless losses or no gains.

He had one carry that was 40% or so of the total for the game.

Last week, the mvp of our run game was persistence not Ingram or Hightower.

If you run him up into the line 3 times from the 1 and get nothing, you need to accept that the back is not good.

Interestingly enough, there are only three running backs in the league this year that have participated in 75% or more of their team's snaps. Melvin Gordon, DeMarco Murray, and David Johnson. Todd Gurley and Ezekiel Elliott are the only other two over 70%.

Interestingly enough, there are only three running backs in the league this year that have participated in 75% or more of their team's snaps. Melvin Gordon, DeMarco Murray, and David Johnson. Todd Gurley and Ezekiel Elliott are the only other two over 70%.

Thank you, I was pretty sure this was the case, but didn't know where to look it up. Good job! :9:

Yeah it's called finally giving your running back 25+ carries in a game.

Hightower got 100 yards because of volume, not because of anything special he was doing. He averaged 3.9 yards per carry last weekend, and that's even with a 28 yard run. Ingram for the past three seasons has averaged 4.6 ypc, 4.3 ypc, and 4.9 ypc; the issue is we just refuse to stop rotating our backs and let him get into rhythm. If he had the type of volume most starting RBs get when posting those types of averages, he'd have been a 1,400 yard back for us.

I love Hightower, but Ingram is the superior back. I think benching him because of one fluke fumble while being held up in a pile was silly. The guy isn't suddenly fumble prone, in fact, he is one of the better backs in the league as far as ball security.

Give Ingram the chance to carry the ball 25 times just once, especially late in the game when defenses are tired and you can start getting chunks. Also keep in mind, unlike Ingram, Hightower got to run behind a healthy starting OL in that game. Ingram has been getting hit in the backfield a lot running behind backups.

All that said, I love Hightower and what he brings to the team. I just believe Ingram is better than we give him credit for and is the better player, both in the run game and pass game.

Hightower was not only the first Saint to rush for 100 this season, he was the first back to do so against Seattle. The fact that he did it facing the #1 ranked rush defense is what's so impressive. His average wasn't bad, considering the opponent, and it was really good outside of the two goalline stands.

Hightower had two 100-yard games at the end of last season too, if I'm not mistaken.

I also don't think the fumble is the sole reason Ingram was benched. He had a negative play earlier in the game where he ran into his own man - something he has done many times throughout his career. It just has to be extremely frustrating for Payton, whenever he sees it. Ingram has just always had poor vision, creativity, and split-second decision making.

It has also never been a matter of more touches for Ingram, as many would have you think. A lot of fans were excited when his production went up a couple of years ago, and would stick their nose up at any criticism of the guy. The fact is, his numbers have been a mirage the last couple of years. His rushing totals have gone up, while his yards per carry have not.

I also think that the decline in talent at the position contributes to any perception of Ingram as our best back. All throughout 2011, it was apparent he was our 4th-best option after Thomas, Sproles, and Ivory (health aside, the guy was, and is, an extremely talented back). Today, we are nowhere close to having three guys of that caliber that any of us would readily place ahead of Ingram. I think Hightower is probably better, but that's about as far as anyone could go without really grasping at straws.

I want another RB like Ricky Williams without all the drama of course.....or another Deuce type back. I have always liked the bigger backs because they can punish defenders. I think that's why I like Tims running over Ingram. Hightower was a helluva back when he was with the Cardinals back in the day, big and strong, fast. I would love to draft Fournette, I've said it a million times and I'm repeating myself but that mans a hoss. Ingram doesn't punish or really wear down the defense and you can shoestring tackle the guy. He's ok but nothing special...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom