Ingram or Hightower who's should start? (1 Viewer)

Who should be the starting running back against San Francisco?

• Mark Ingram

Votes: 97 28.8%
  • Tim Hightower

Votes: 203 60.2%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 37 11.0%

• Total voters
Y'all are all crazy to think mark Ingram is "explosive". Frankly, neither of them are and it's a position we should look to upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark can bring a lot of assets to an offense. He is a 3 down back who can catch the ball and is great at pass-pro, along with being an efficient short yardage/goal line back. He plays with passion and always gives his all on the field. I respect him for his energy, effort, and his intangibles. He is the type of man that I would love to be teammates with.

But he is not explosive and he lacks vision. It is why he doesn't hit holes as "hard" as other backs, from our team and around the league. These two areas, explosiveness and vision, are also what makes him an average-good running back overall rather than good-great one.

Seeing a guy like Ingram struggle is tough for me because it is clear to me that he wants to do everything he can to help his team win and his limitations are in areas that you either have it or you don't. I will always pull for Mark. I would love nothing more than to see him start and have tremendous success this weekend.

If I had to put it on the table, I think Mark starts. If he starts the game hot, I think Hightower becomes our supplementary back and end of the game closer (I think if we avoid turnovers this game becomes handedly our s by the end of the third quarter). If he struggles, he will quickly find himself watching Hightower have another 100+ yard game.

If you run him up into the line 3 times from the 1 and get nothing, you need to accept that the back is not good.

So, you don't think the Seahawks have a good goal line defense? I thought everyone did.

But he is not explosive and he lacks vision.
Both of those things are immeasurable

How do people "know" those things? People that don't like him just throw negative comments out until something sticks. First it was going down on contact. Then it's effort. Then it's vision. Now it's explosiveness.

Don't let ppl sucker you into thinking a certain way because there's no way to disprove what they are saying. There is no way to prove what they are saying either.

**language**

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mJKciUJavRo

So, you don't think the Seahawks have a good goal line defense? I thought everyone did.

I think they have a great goal line defense, but I think Hightower's performance or, rather, complete lack of performance at the goal line shows he's no better than Ingram.

If you can't get in on 3 tries from the one, it's on the back.

Both of those things are immeasurable

How do people "know" those things? People that don't like him just throw negative comments out until something sticks. First it was going down on contact. Then it's effort. Then it's vision. Now it's explosiveness.

Don't let ppl sucker you into thinking a certain way because there's no way to disprove what they are saying. There is no way to prove what they are saying either.

While I'm a big Ingram fan, I can't agree with all this.

People who watch a lot of football can easily detect explosion, power, elusiveness, etc etc. All you have to do is watch a few hundred football games and trust your eyes.

Ingram is just as good a RB as Hightower, but he needs to stop trying to score on every carry. It only leaves him stood up and vulnerable to the strip.

Hightower hits the hole, takes what the defense gives him, and stretches out safely at the end of the run, usually gets the extra yard by finishing properly. That technique gets far fewer big hits, and saves the RB enough energy for 10-15 more carries per game.

To Ingram, the only finish to a run is the goal line. Payton smacked down Pierre when he tried that, but he is letting Ingram get away with it. Ingram needs to settle down and run like a Pro instead of a kid trying to make the team.

While I'm a big Ingram fan, I can't agree with all this.

People who watch a lot of football can easily detect explosion, power, elusiveness, etc etc. All you have to do is watch a few hundred football games and trust your eyes.

Ingram is just as good a RB as Hightower, but he needs to stop trying to score on every carry. It only leaves him stood up and vulnerable to the strip.

Hightower hits the hole, takes what the defense gives him, and stretches out safely at the end of the run, usually gets the extra yard by finishing properly. That technique gets far fewer big hits, and saves the RB enough energy for 10-15 more carries per game.

To Ingram, the only finish to a run is the goal line. Payton smacked down Pierre when he tried that, but he is letting Ingram get away with it. Ingram needs to settle down and run like a Pro instead of a kid trying to make the team.

So assuming we have both watched similar amounts of football. And without name-calling or insults, how could we possibly have arrived at 2 separate conclusions based on the same game footage?

I think they have a great goal line defense, but I think Hightower's performance or, rather, complete lack of performance at the goal line shows he's no better than Ingram.

If you can't get in on 3 tries from the one, it's on the back.

If the RB is getting hit in the back field, it's on the Oline.
Seattle's Dline was getting off blocks quick and getting to the RB. WE should have been giving the ball to Kuhn.
And Hightower is better than Ingram in one aspect, he doesn't fumble.

A few years ago, I watched Frank Reich lead the bills to the SuperBowl, in place of an injured Jim Kelly. During the two week hiatus before the big game, Kelly got better. Nevermind that Reich had won multiple games, including the biggest comeback in NFL history. Marv Levy went with "his starter". The result? Buffalo is still Lombardiless.

Start Hightower

If the RB is getting hit in the back field, it's on the Oline.
Seattle's Dline was getting off blocks quick and getting to the RB. WE should have been giving the ball to Kuhn.
And Hightower is better than Ingram in one aspect, he doesn't fumble.

Uh, Ingram has one of the lowest fumbles per carry in the league. Hightower is not better than Ingram when it comes to protecting the football. Him fumbling 2 games in a row is the first time it has happened in his 6 year career. It's essentially a statistical anomaly.

I like both backs and both of them doing well helps the team. Hightower did about as well as can be expected against a top run defense. But the short yardage runs were not so good and that's the area Ingram has done really well this year.

Hopefully both have a good game vs the 9ers.

So assuming we have both watched similar amounts of football. And without name-calling or insults, how could we possibly have arrived at 2 separate conclusions based on the same game footage?

First, you'll have to tell me the difference in our evaluation of Ingram and Hightower. I think there's little to none.

Ingram or Hightower who's should start?

southpark-timmy.jpg

I'd go with TH just to see how he does . I think we know who MI is , An avg. back and will never be anything else . He turns a 20 yd run into a 7 yd run. , My question is isn't it about time we get a "Special " RB , like we had in Deuce . Like a David Johnson ?. Someone that can use the same holes that MI has and make that 20yd or more run . A 3 down back like Jamaal Charles only healthy. It seems like they can be had in the late 2nd to 3rd rounds . . That's the one real piece we've been missing for quite a while , not to say that our O is not one of the best , but a special kind of RB opens EVERYTHING up

Ingram and Hightower both have strengths... that being said start Ingram he gets the tough yards and pass blocks and receives out of the back field better. But use all of them including Cadet. When we won the SB, Bush, Pierre and Bell were used depending on the game, even though Pierre was probably the better back IMO. Use these backs the same way

Been on here for years and have no clue how to start a poll, but I think this should be a fun topic to talk about.

I'm sorry y'all but I'm starting the hot hand and thats Tim Hightower. Mods if y'all can start a poll that would be great.

I read earlier where Ingram was saying if you fumble you dont play, so a game against one of the worst rushing defensive teams in the 49ers could bounce ingram back but could make Hightower really explode mentally if he has another monster game.

Got to watch some games I missed, and Ingram just looks bad hoping he can turn it around and get it going so this should be fun Sunday. I got High tower starting if I'm coach he's hungry and just put up a 100plus against Seattle. Who y'all got? Who dat.
Ingram has made some crucial mistakes fumbling the ball that significantly aided in costing us two games, and nearly a third. Hightower is running better and he's not putting the ball on the ground. Hightower should start.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom