Initial Reactions to the Cowboys Game (1 Viewer)

TCUDan

Cutting the lead blocker
Staff member
Administrator
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
-The Saints found another way to win, as they have managed to do in each of their wins--all of which were against top-quality opponents (Texans, Seahawks, Cowboys). It's still very early in the season, but they are playing like a contender, and they are coming into each game extremely prepared.

-To elaborate on what I mean by "extremely prepared", the kind of "catch all" for good coaching is the idea of "a good gameplan." Gameplanning is important, but it is extremely fluid, and the ability to respond and adjust is far more important than the play menu you go into the game with. And what I have really been impressed with with the Saints--and where I think they're winning--is their situational preparation. Playing smart with field position, knowing when to go for it on 4th down and when to flip the field or take the points. Being decisive and making those decisions right on the back end is the true art to coaching. There is an expectation that a coach must always make the right decision, but the truth is he needs to be prepared enough to quickly make an informed decision. And if his staff and players are bought in, they will make him right on the end.

-They have also found a way to make momentum changing plays in pivotal situations. A number of defensive players continue to step up. Von Bell is playing relentless football and finding ways to get after the ball and get it back to the offense. He's been involved in 3 turnovers in the last 2 games and that's huge. I also think Marcus Williams is extremely underappreciated because a lot of those times coverage assignments don't show up on the broadcast. Lattimore finally played how we know he is capable of playing, and I thought Marcus Davenport has steadily improved since what I thought was a very poor outing vs. the Texans.

-Deonte Harris is going to see the field more and more with each next game. It is obvious that he is a dynamic player, but you can see him become more and more comfortable and confident each week.

-Offensively, the Saints have 2 issues. 1) They lack of explosive plays down the field is unsustainable and puts too much pressure on the defense to carry the load; 2) the penalties along the offensive line. Both pre and post-snap penalties are killing drives and keeping the Saints from playing efficient offense. It is by far the most frustrating aspect of the game. I totally understand them shying away from passing plays down the field as they would like Bridgewater to be more of a game manager--and they trust defense and special teams to pick up the slack. But without that threat, the Saints are going to be a much different offense than they have been in the past.

-It was predictable, but I love to see Kamara being used more in the base running plays, getting the ball on Inside Zone, Power and Iso and not just the crack toss, jet sweeps and stretch plays. For as much as he gets talked about as a "scat back" (because of how skilled he is in space), he is one of the best downhill runners in the league. He picks his way through traffic, makes great reads, and runs with strong pad level and balance. 17 carries and 4.1 yards a carry is exactly what we need in ball control-type games where we have to grind it out. I am happy to see the Saints trusting him to do more blue-collar work.

-I understand why they are holding Taysom Hill back, but I really would like to see more of him on 3rd down and in the red zone.

-I've said it before, but I am really happy with Bridgewater and think we are lucky to have him as our #2. He is not Drew Brees, and he is kind of playing in a very controlled offensive menu. But I love that he is smart with the ball. Rarely is he trying to do too much out there. He's showing toughness, and looks more comfortable each week. And in spite of his first two starts, I know he is very capable of pushing the ball down the field. He is just not being asked to carry the team, and I think it speaks volumes that in the absence of Drew Brees, the rest of the team is rallying around Bridgewater and picking up the slack so he doesn't have to.

I think they should consider activating another QB until Brees returns. We need to see Taysom on the field more (regardless of his role).

Thanks Dan, great as always...

I am right there with you on Vonn Bell... he has looked like a Pro Bowl player this season so far...

I'd like your take on Peat so far.. when I have focused on him... he seems unbalanced and on the ground a lot and unable to pick up on games.

Lattimore is frustrating... he's one of the most gifted CBs in the game.. he showed it last night... why is he so inconsistent?

Other than the obvious (we have no other QB on the roster).... why is Taysom not getting more time at QB? (he's getting a decent number of snaps on offense and ST... he looks like the best player on the field when he does... so why not?)

my biggest fear entering this game was the lack of film to study on Kellen Moores' play calling tendencies. I dont know what they watched, but once they established that Zeke wasnt going to get his yardage, it was stunning to see them completely baffle Prescott. To the point that he didnt scramble but once. I think we ran stunts/twists on the line 80% of the time lol.

As to the penalties...there were 1 or 2 that just seemed really ticky tacky. The downfield hold on Warford on the screen to Kamara in like the 3rd....hands were INSIDE the pads and he was driving the DL back. Meanwhile, T Smith horsecollared Dav 2-3 times and never got flagged.
They are tossing flags in situations that are either momentum changing or just when momentum has swung. Its hard to deal with. Dont know how you overcome that, and its becoming routine to see a flag in a crucial spot. I have faith it will clean up, but there is a penalty on 90% of plays in the NFL, just up to the Ref to decide. We are getting the short end currently.

for Bridgewater- i dont think he is 100% comfortable just yet. I dont think he trusts his eyes. Case- on that half roll where he was looking back left, the moment he took off to run ( left ), from the overhead camera ( just behind him ) the WR came open as the underneath defender doubled Kamara in the flat. Had he still been looking to throw, he would have seen. I think he just needs more time due to lack of playing time ( 3 years) each week is a building block. Dont know how long it will take, but i can see small incremental improvements.

-The Saints found another way to win, as they have managed to do in each of their wins--all of which were against top-quality opponents (Texans, Seahawks, Cowboys). It's still very early in the season, but they are playing like a contender, and they are coming into each game extremely prepared.

-To elaborate on what I mean by "extremely prepared", the kind of "catch all" for good coaching is the idea of "a good gameplan." Gameplanning is important, but it is extremely fluid, and the ability to respond and adjust is far more important than the play menu you go into the game with. And what I have really been impressed with with the Saints--and where I think they're winning--is their situational preparation. Playing smart with field position, knowing when to go for it on 4th down and when to flip the field or take the points. Being decisive and making those decisions right on the back end is the true art to coaching. There is an expectation that a coach must always make the right decision, but the truth is he needs to be prepared enough to quickly make an informed decision. And if his staff and players are bought in, they will make him right on the end.

-They have also found a way to make momentum changing plays in pivotal situations. A number of defensive players continue to step up. Von Bell is playing relentless football and finding ways to get after the ball and get it back to the offense. He's been involved in 3 turnovers in the last 2 games and that's huge. I also think Marcus Williams is extremely underappreciated because a lot of those times coverage assignments don't show up on the broadcast. Lattimore finally played how we know he is capable of playing, and I thought Marcus Davenport has steadily improved since what I thought was a very poor outing vs. the Texans.

-Deonte Harris is going to see the field more and more with each next game. It is obvious that he is a dynamic player, but you can see him become more and more comfortable and confident each week.

-Offensively, the Saints have 2 issues. 1) They lack of explosive plays down the field is unsustainable and puts too much pressure on the defense to carry the load; 2) the penalties along the offensive line. Both pre and post-snap penalties are killing drives and keeping the Saints from playing efficient offense. It is by far the most frustrating aspect of the game. I totally understand them shying away from passing plays down the field as they would like Bridgewater to be more of a game manager--and they trust defense and special teams to pick up the slack. But without that threat, the Saints are going to be a much different offense than they have been in the past.

-It was predictable, but I love to see Kamara being used more in the base running plays, getting the ball on Inside Zone, Power and Iso and not just the crack toss, jet sweeps and stretch plays. For as much as he gets talked about as a "scat back" (because of how skilled he is in space), he is one of the best downhill runners in the league. He picks his way through traffic, makes great reads, and runs with strong pad level and balance. 17 carries and 4.1 yards a carry is exactly what we need in ball control-type games where we have to grind it out. I am happy to see the Saints trusting him to do more blue-collar work.

-I understand why they are holding Taysom Hill back, but I really would like to see more of him on 3rd down and in the red zone.

-I've said it before, but I am really happy with Bridgewater and think we are lucky to have him as our #2. He is not Drew Brees, and he is kind of playing in a very controlled offensive menu. But I love that he is smart with the ball. Rarely is he trying to do too much out there. He's showing toughness, and looks more comfortable each week. And in spite of his first two starts, I know he is very capable of pushing the ball down the field. He is just not being asked to carry the team, and I think it speaks volumes that in the absence of Drew Brees, the rest of the team is rallying around Bridgewater and picking up the slack so he doesn't have to.

What can I add to this that Coach Dan hasn't already stated?

NOTHING.

Thanks, Coach. Great read. :9:

:gosaints:

You want to carry 4 QBs on the active roster? That will deplete depth at other positions, where do you cut someone?
Well, if you’re using Taysom Hill in the all-purpose role he’s become famous for, he’s not merely a QB.

I think we could easily make do without Zach Line for a couple games.

With Brees out of the picture, we have to find a way to get one of our most dynamic offensive weapons more involved.

Last edited:
I think they should consider activating another QB until Brees returns. We need to see Taysom on the field more (regardless of his role).

I would agree, but that would mean one less position. Where would you take from. Possibly the OL that is inactive every week? Then again, to get Taysom more active, you would have to make this new QB active every week making another needed position inactive. By adding another QB to the 53 man roster just to get Taysom more playing time would take away from a needed player.

But I do agree that Taysom still needs to be as active as he was when Drew was QB. Taysom did get more playing time against Dallas than he did Seattle. So maybe Sean is figuring how to do this without Drew.

AND...….just think about the possible mad scientist play Sean is dreaming up when Drew returns. He won't use it until the playoffs, but he will have Drew, Teddy and Taysom all on the field at the same time. Both Teddy and Taysom spread out wide, and Kamara in the back field. Ginn and Thomas in slots and streaking down the field. Hmmmm.

-It was predictable, but I love to see Kamara being used more in the base running plays, getting the ball on Inside Zone, Power and Iso and not just the crack toss, jet sweeps and stretch plays. For as much as he gets talked about as a "scat back" (because of how skilled he is in space), he is one of the best downhill runners in the league.
By having him take on more of those type of runs and increasing his touches, are the Saints running him into the ground, or taking away from his scat back type game?

As to the penalties...there were 1 or 2 that just seemed really ticky tacky. The downfield hold on Warford on the screen to Kamara in like the 3rd....hands were INSIDE the pads and he was driving the DL back. Meanwhile, T Smith horsecollared Dav 2-3 times and never got flagged.
They are tossing flags in situations that are either momentum changing or just when momentum has swung. Its hard to deal with. Dont know how you overcome that, and its becoming routine to see a flag in a crucial spot. I have faith it will clean up, but there is a penalty on 90% of plays in the NFL, just up to the Ref to decide. We are getting the short end currently.
True dat. Cowboys O linemen were doing the same things the Saints were getting called for, but without getting flagged. And the Saints linemen were even getting flagged on what looked like legit blocks. We have been seeing these kind of momentum killing one-sided offensive calls going against us since the NFC Divisional round playoff game. Remember the epic drive against Philly where we kept overcoming ticky tacky calls on the offense (including a beautiful bomb thrown for a TD by Hill getting called back)? Pat Kerwin even commented after that game that it looked like the officials were trying to make Philly win the game. And, of course, we know what the officials did to us in the next game. It's very hard to watch this kind of lopsided officiating, and very difficult to repeatedly have to overcome it.

Thanks for your insights.

I don't like that Bridegwater has a tendency to turn his back to the line of scrimmage and run backwards a few steps when trying to escape pass rushers. He did it on the Saints final offensive play and I think it was a bad decision born out of a bad habit.

Last edited:
I think Offensively they should integrate some kind of Pass Option for Taysom on the Read plays, because the book is clearly out... even when Taysom makes the right read on the End crashing down on Kamara.. Linebacker's that watch film are now just going to cheat to the outisde predicting Taysom trying to get the edge. Jaylon Smith was just booking it to the edge to cover for the crashing end because outside of getting fooled once, that play has gotten predictable.

Sure not every team has Linebackers as fast as Smith, and Vander-Esch and sometimes Taysom will truck that Linebacker meeting him at the point.. but If there were someone running a slant right into the vacated hook zone the Linebackers are leaving and you give Taysom the ability to read it out and make the throw, it adds another wrinkle and dynamic and makes it a true RPO.

My impression of the lack of explosiveness is two fold and I'd appreciate your thoughts on it.

First, I do think it's partially having a QB who is not Drew Brees and isn't completely comfortable just yet.

Second, I think it's maybe more largely attributable to the two teams we have played with TB under center. We played Seattle in a loud environment in the rain. We had a lead and never needed to really take risks. We played a Dallas team whose defense held a Brees led team to 10 points last year. I'm not sure in either situation we would have seen Brees take many chances either.

I'd be surprised if we don't see the offense opened up a bit this week. But I could be totally wrong because I'm just a casual observer.

My impression of the lack of explosiveness is two fold and I'd appreciate your thoughts on it.

First, I do think it's partially having a QB who is not Drew Brees and isn't completely comfortable just yet.

Second, I think it's maybe more largely attributable to the two teams we have played with TB under center. We played Seattle in a loud environment in the rain. We had a lead and never needed to really take risks. We played a Dallas team whose defense held a Brees led team to 10 points last year. I'm not sure in either situation we would have seen Brees take many chances either.

I'd be surprised if we don't see the offense opened up a bit this week. But I could be totally wrong because I'm just a casual observer.

Agree with both. Plus the penalties. We’re just off schedule so much.

We really need to play up-tempo and find a rhythm. Easier said than done, but both Teddy and Sean said that last night.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom