Initial Reactions to the Cowboys Game (1 Viewer)

-The Saints found another way to win, as they have managed to do in each of their wins--all of which were against top-quality opponents (Texans, Seahawks, Cowboys). It's still very early in the season, but they are playing like a contender, and they are coming into each game extremely prepared.

-To elaborate on what I mean by "extremely prepared", the kind of "catch all" for good coaching is the idea of "a good gameplan." Gameplanning is important, but it is extremely fluid, and the ability to respond and adjust is far more important than the play menu you go into the game with. And what I have really been impressed with with the Saints--and where I think they're winning--is their situational preparation. Playing smart with field position, knowing when to go for it on 4th down and when to flip the field or take the points. Being decisive and making those decisions right on the back end is the true art to coaching. There is an expectation that a coach must always make the right decision, but the truth is he needs to be prepared enough to quickly make an informed decision. And if his staff and players are bought in, they will make him right on the end.

-They have also found a way to make momentum changing plays in pivotal situations. A number of defensive players continue to step up. Von Bell is playing relentless football and finding ways to get after the ball and get it back to the offense. He's been involved in 3 turnovers in the last 2 games and that's huge. I also think Marcus Williams is extremely underappreciated because a lot of those times coverage assignments don't show up on the broadcast. Lattimore finally played how we know he is capable of playing, and I thought Marcus Davenport has steadily improved since what I thought was a very poor outing vs. the Texans.

-Deonte Harris is going to see the field more and more with each next game. It is obvious that he is a dynamic player, but you can see him become more and more comfortable and confident each week.

-Offensively, the Saints have 2 issues. 1) They lack of explosive plays down the field is unsustainable and puts too much pressure on the defense to carry the load; 2) the penalties along the offensive line. Both pre and post-snap penalties are killing drives and keeping the Saints from playing efficient offense. It is by far the most frustrating aspect of the game. I totally understand them shying away from passing plays down the field as they would like Bridgewater to be more of a game manager--and they trust defense and special teams to pick up the slack. But without that threat, the Saints are going to be a much different offense than they have been in the past.

-It was predictable, but I love to see Kamara being used more in the base running plays, getting the ball on Inside Zone, Power and Iso and not just the crack toss, jet sweeps and stretch plays. For as much as he gets talked about as a "scat back" (because of how skilled he is in space), he is one of the best downhill runners in the league. He picks his way through traffic, makes great reads, and runs with strong pad level and balance. 17 carries and 4.1 yards a carry is exactly what we need in ball control-type games where we have to grind it out. I am happy to see the Saints trusting him to do more blue-collar work.

-I understand why they are holding Taysom Hill back, but I really would like to see more of him on 3rd down and in the red zone.

-I've said it before, but I am really happy with Bridgewater and think we are lucky to have him as our #2. He is not Drew Brees, and he is kind of playing in a very controlled offensive menu. But I love that he is smart with the ball. Rarely is he trying to do too much out there. He's showing toughness, and looks more comfortable each week. And in spite of his first two starts, I know he is very capable of pushing the ball down the field. He is just not being asked to carry the team, and I think it speaks volumes that in the absence of Drew Brees, the rest of the team is rallying around Bridgewater and picking up the slack so he doesn't have to.

As usual, love your insightful perspective. I do tend to think the conservativeness has to do with getting a lead in Seattle and the rain. Kamara found his stride a good bit and that also took the pressure off of Teddy. In the Cowboys game, their defense was relentless and Teddy had to get rid of the ball with short passes. They only lost the lead once, so there wasn't a need to be overly aggressive.

Teddy looks really comfortable throwing to Thomas. The rest, it seems like he's just trying to pick his spots. I know there are more than a few concerned with his play, and while he's made a few mistakes here and there, I think he's been good enough to help the team move down the field. Hopefully some of those field goals can be turned into TDs in upcoming games.

Well done TCU!

I think Offensively they should integrate some kind of Pass Option for Taysom on the Read plays, because the book is clearly out... even when Taysom makes the right read on the End crashing down on Kamara.. Linebacker's that watch film are now just going to cheat to the outisde predicting Taysom trying to get the edge. Jaylon Smith was just booking it to the edge to cover for the crashing end because outside of getting fooled once, that play has gotten predictable.

Sure not every team has Linebackers as fast as Smith, and Vander-Esch and sometimes Taysom will truck that Linebacker meeting him at the point.. but If there were someone running a slant right into the vacated hook zone the Linebackers are leaving and you give Taysom the ability to read it out and make the throw, it adds another wrinkle and dynamic and makes it a true RPO.
I agree, they need to have a couple of play action passes for Taysom & a simple audible system for him to use when they come in & stack the box to stop the zone read runs. If they're going to use the package, they might as well have a tool kit.

Honestly I think the risk/reward kind of seems good to use more Hill even with just the two of them. If they both got dinged up that game would likely be an L anyway. Competitive guys want to help anyway they can and Hill definitely boosts the team

Good stuff. You know, one of the stories on Bridgewater last week mentioned that he is very close to Bill Parcells. And watching him play, he is very much a Parcells kind of QB. Not super dynamic, but steady, tough and smart. Come to think of it with Teddy at the helm, a ball-control running game, short passing and a rugged defense, we are a reasonable facsimile of a Parcells team! Somewhere the Big Tuna must be smiling that Sean Payton finally saw the light...

-The Saints found another way to win, as they have managed to do in each of their wins--all of which were against top-quality opponents (Texans, Seahawks, Cowboys). It's still very early in the season, but they are playing like a contender, and they are coming into each game extremely prepared.

-To elaborate on what I mean by "extremely prepared", the kind of "catch all" for good coaching is the idea of "a good gameplan." Gameplanning is important, but it is extremely fluid, and the ability to respond and adjust is far more important than the play menu you go into the game with. And what I have really been impressed with with the Saints--and where I think they're winning--is their situational preparation. Playing smart with field position, knowing when to go for it on 4th down and when to flip the field or take the points. Being decisive and making those decisions right on the back end is the true art to coaching. There is an expectation that a coach must always make the right decision, but the truth is he needs to be prepared enough to quickly make an informed decision. And if his staff and players are bought in, they will make him right on the end.

-They have also found a way to make momentum changing plays in pivotal situations. A number of defensive players continue to step up. Von Bell is playing relentless football and finding ways to get after the ball and get it back to the offense. He's been involved in 3 turnovers in the last 2 games and that's huge. I also think Marcus Williams is extremely underappreciated because a lot of those times coverage assignments don't show up on the broadcast. Lattimore finally played how we know he is capable of playing, and I thought Marcus Davenport has steadily improved since what I thought was a very poor outing vs. the Texans.

-Deonte Harris is going to see the field more and more with each next game. It is obvious that he is a dynamic player, but you can see him become more and more comfortable and confident each week.

-Offensively, the Saints have 2 issues. 1) They lack of explosive plays down the field is unsustainable and puts too much pressure on the defense to carry the load; 2) the penalties along the offensive line. Both pre and post-snap penalties are killing drives and keeping the Saints from playing efficient offense. It is by far the most frustrating aspect of the game. I totally understand them shying away from passing plays down the field as they would like Bridgewater to be more of a game manager--and they trust defense and special teams to pick up the slack. But without that threat, the Saints are going to be a much different offense than they have been in the past.

-It was predictable, but I love to see Kamara being used more in the base running plays, getting the ball on Inside Zone, Power and Iso and not just the crack toss, jet sweeps and stretch plays. For as much as he gets talked about as a "scat back" (because of how skilled he is in space), he is one of the best downhill runners in the league. He picks his way through traffic, makes great reads, and runs with strong pad level and balance. 17 carries and 4.1 yards a carry is exactly what we need in ball control-type games where we have to grind it out. I am happy to see the Saints trusting him to do more blue-collar work.

-I understand why they are holding Taysom Hill back, but I really would like to see more of him on 3rd down and in the red zone.

-I've said it before, but I am really happy with Bridgewater and think we are lucky to have him as our #2. He is not Drew Brees, and he is kind of playing in a very controlled offensive menu. But I love that he is smart with the ball. Rarely is he trying to do too much out there. He's showing toughness, and looks more comfortable each week. And in spite of his first two starts, I know he is very capable of pushing the ball down the field. He is just not being asked to carry the team, and I think it speaks volumes that in the absence of Drew Brees, the rest of the team is rallying around Bridgewater and picking up the slack so he doesn't have to.

Dan, what's your opinion of Armstead's performance? He looked slow and average to my eye, but what did you see?

Dan, thanks for the analysis.

The passing game concerns me--even when Brees returns. Exclude Thomas, and our wide receiver against Dallas reduced 13 yards of offense. 13 yards. We need Cook and a second wide receiver to step up badly. And I understand that each game Bridgewater gets more comfortable, but with each game opposing defenses get more video on Bridgewater.

The offensive line has played overall below expectations in two games. It has to be a team strength.

And it is really hard to be critical of the coaching because overall it has been outstanding. But I also don't understand why we used Hill more when Brees was healthy than we do now with Bridgewater.

I think they should consider activating another QB until Brees returns. We need to see Taysom on the field more (regardless of his role).
yea i was hoping they could bring up JT Barrett, he should atleast know the playbook by now, hes been here 2 offseasons and practice squad.. they could put Zach Line inactive, if they need a short yardage situation, get one of the guards or tight ends to play fullback, im sure hill can do it a few plays a game. they need Hill on his other positions..

Thanks for your elucidating wisdom, knowledge & insight into the game of football - esp Saints' football!

(And, of course, that you're here sharing it with all your fellow Who Dats!)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom