Initial Reactions to the Texans Game (1 Viewer)

TCUDan

Cutting the lead blocker
Staff member
Administrator
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
First, that was a hell of a game. Sometimes it's hard to get out of a the coach mindset and just enjoy the excitement, but this was one hell of a game. Even if the Saints would have lost at the end, I would be saying the same thing and be confident that they are a contender. But they won a close, back-and-forth game, and those are SO difficult to win... but more on that later.

Positives
-Overcame adversity. The Saints came in with a good game plan and executed it well early on, but they had trouble finishing. They fizzled out twice in the RZ in the first half (one time with a RZ INT that was a devastating 14-point swing). The defense allowed a 17-play drive late in the half which is incredibly deflating for both sides of the ball, especially in that situation. And they got screwed with the clock run off which cost them at least another 3 points. Yet they still find a way to win against a very good Texans team (seriously, the Texans are legit).

-Smart adjustments. I loved the aggression on defense, and I liked that they got even more aggressive in the 2nd half. On offense, I posted about it right before the 2nd half--didn't matter if it was through the run game or the pass game, they needed to get Kamara involved and they did. Brees spread the ball around to Ginn, Smith, and they got Hill out there in some key situations and used him. The sense of urgency that was missing in the first half showed up in the 2nd half.

-Best OL in the NFL. There may be some lines that are better in pass pro. There may be some that are more efficient run blockers. But the Saints starting 5 are the most well-rounded group in the NFL. Protection was great all game, and the Saints could have run the ball even more if they wanted to.

-Brees is still a championship QB. There's a lot of plays I could bring up, but the 3rd and short right before the 2 minute warning was all him, and all masterful. He hadn't pushed the ball down the field all game, and he he waited until the play clock was running down to hard count and pull the Texans out of their defensive stem (disguise)...if he would have hard counted earlier, they wouldn't have moved... and in about 5 seconds, checked the play and got the snap off before the clock ran out. He just checked to 4 verticals, but with Thomas as the #3 WR he knew he would hold the single high safety and Ginn would be 1-on-1 with the nickel, a mismatch all day. Brees looked off the safety and threw an easy ball to Ginn. 40 yards later, DAGGER! From the huddle to the whistle, the dude is unbelievable.

-Trey Hendrickson looks like a pro bowl player when he is on the field. I hope he starts getting even more snaps.

Negatives
-PJ Williams is giving me polio. Seriously. He can be painful to watch. I called him the weak link on the defense last year and I still feel that way. And it is not that he is bad on every play. It's that he is bad IN CRITICAL SITUATIONS. I get his appeal as a nickel corner, he is physical and puts his nose in the run game. But in the pass game he is such a liability, he is a penalty machine, has bad fundamentals and is constantly out of position and trying to rally late. They obviously see something in him (he is a big nickel CB), but teams are going to attack him in 3rd down all season long, or when they need a TD like in that 2 play drive that gave them 6 points with 37 seconds left in the game. Anyway, he's obviously not going to get benched since he's been doing this crap since last year, so I can only hope that he doesn't get exposed even more than he did last season.

-Davenport did not impress me tonight. I am not overly critical of the guy like I think some people are, but I can only say his play was uninspired. He is not very assignment sound and plays really high and just soft at times. He seems to play with a little more aggression when there is a pass rush game on up front (twists and stunts), but just coming off the edge I saw him high, lazy with his hands and getting tossed at times. I really hope he hasn't regressed.

-While I didn't really have a problem with the play call ratio, I do worry about Brees throwing the ball nearly 40 times and his arm fatiguing like it seemed to last season. I also thought there were some missed situational opportunities in the 1st half (particularly in the RZ) that we won't be able to always overcome... almost couldn't overcome this game. That is really tough, and I don't like to MMQB this stuff so I won't harp on it. As a coach you make decisions, same as a QB, and you can't sit there and vacillate over it. You make the decision and hope your guys will make you right. This was a well-coached game, but the first half definitely looked like a "formula" on how to handle the Saints' offense.

-As soon as I complimented Deonte Harris he fair caught a punt inside the 5 yard line. I'm glad the Texans screwed up and we were able to make them rekick (which then he called for a fair catch and tried to return it lol). I love the guy, but he is not immune to rookie mistakes.

-Don't take this as me not being pleased with the defense... I loved the way they played overall and I loved their gameplan (despite almost 200 yards rushing surrendered, some poor situational ball on 3rd down and just bad football on the Texans last scoring drive... as well as some uninspired individual efforts)... but I was actually a little shocked at how we allowed the Texans best WR to kind of have his way with us. And I don't mean the old cliche of "why didn't we double team him". I mean... why didn't we reroute him from the slot down in the Red Zone? Why did we ever have PJ Williams manned up on him? Why wasn't our underneath coverage carrying him and condensing those windows? They just seemed content to float around and not keep tabs on the other team's best player. Obviously the game plan was centered around pressuring Watson, but some of this is just general football IQ and situational awareness. I hope it doesn't become a theme.

WITH ALL OF THAT SAID... man that was one hell of a game. The Saints look like they're picking up exactly where they left off last season. I had to stay up until 4:30am (EU time) to watch it live and it was totally worth it! Close games are so hard to win, and that mental toughness to overcome adversity and close out a 1 score win or come from behind victory... it really comes down to 2 or 3 opportunities in the game. Champions get it done, and that's what the Saints did tonight (or for some of us, this morning).

Lattimore also really struggled with Nuc as the game wore on. But I think that’s more about how good Hopkins is than anything else - probably the only WR in Mike’s league right now.

Shon needs to step it up but thankfully we don’t play many like Nuc.

Lattimore also really struggled with Nuc as the game wore on. But I think that’s more about how good Hopkins is than anything else - probably the only WR in Mike’s league right now.

Shon needs to step it up but thankfully we don’t play many like Nuc.

I thought Lattimore played well except for that one deep ball. The first TD was PJ Williams. The Saints were in Cover 7 and the #2 WR (slot in front of him) released inside. He should have immediately opened to the slant (Lattimore was outside leverage playing the fade) and carried Hopkins underneath. But he stared at the QB and floated right where he was, and Hopkins ran probably the easiest goal line slant he'll run all season.

Again, the guy is just a bad habit machine. His eye discipline (or lack there of)... him flipping his hips WAY too early on the last TD and then trying to speed turn and recover on a seam. I could go on, but I won't.

The 2nd TD was on Demario Davis. Saints are in Cover 2 in the red zone, and he made no effort to reroute Hopkins in the slot, giving him a free release on the seam and a ton of space in front of the safety to bend it. Again, we made him look even better than he was by not playing fundamentally sound.

Great stuff.

On the play calling... It's game 1.SP will round into form over the next few weeks as will Drew. They must have seen something on film to open the game with so many passes.

Davenport. Seems so (plays too high) however I saw 3 occasions where Tunsil got his fingers inside his mask. None called. On the last TD pass. He came under on a stunt, had direct line to Watson and was held so bad. He was shoulder/head ahead of the Olineman who had his right arm on Davs left shoulder, turning him sideways and slowing his rush. No call. Watch it again and you will see. No hold, Dav gets to watson at a critical moment. And being he was the ONLY player coming thru the middle (all others were pushiing rushers out and up} I don't know how that was missed.

Refs gotta clean this up because it's getting redundant and at some point will cost us a game.

Do agree on PJ.

But folks think Watson is some mid tier QB. Or that Hopkins is some mid tier WR. I hope most that watched this game appreciate just how good they really are. And understand we just beat a fantastic Texan team.

It's nice to start the season with a win for a change. Outside of that we look the same.

I thought Lattimore played well except for that one deep ball. The first TD was PJ Williams. The Saints were in Cover 7 and the #2 WR (slot in front of him) released inside. He should have immediately opened to the slant (Lattimore was outside leverage playing the fade) and carried Hopkins underneath. But he stared at the QB and floated right where he was, and Hopkins ran probably the easiest goal line slant he'll run all season.

Again, the guy is just a bad habit machine. His eye discipline (or lack there of)... him flipping his hips WAY too early on the last TD and then trying to speed turn and recover on a seam. I could go on, but I won't.

The 2nd TD was on Demario Davis. Saints are in Cover 2 in the red zone, and he made no effort to reroute Hopkins in the slot, giving him a free release on the seam and a ton of space in front of the safety to bend it. Again, we made him look even better than he was by not playing fundamentally sound.

What about those big conversions in the 4th? I’m not sure about the second one on the sideline, but the first one down the middle looked like man and Shon was trailing by three yards. Was Marcus supposed to have that?

Great stuff.

On the play calling... It's game 1.SP will round into form over the next few weeks as will Drew. They must have seen something on film to open the game with so many passes.

Davenport. Seems so (plays too high) however I saw 3 occasions where Tunsil got his fingers inside his mask. None called. On the last TD pass. He came under on a stunt, had direct line to Watson and was held so bad. He was shoulder/head ahead of the Olineman who had his right arm on Davs left shoulder, turning him sideways and slowing his rush. No call. Watch it again and you will see. No hold, Dav gets to watson at a critical moment. And being he was the ONLY player coming thru the middle (all others were pushiing rushers out and up} I don't know how that was missed.

Refs gotta clean this up because it's getting redundant and at some point will cost us a game.

Do agree on PJ.

But folks think Watson is some mid tier QB. Or that Hopkins is some mid tier WR. I hope most that watched this game appreciate just how good they really are. And understand we just beat a fantastic Texan team.

I thought Payton called a good game and am not worried, and completely understood the game plan coming in. I thought the Saints lacked urgency in the execution in the first half, and I would like to see them run more (particularly with Tayom Hill) in the red zone rather than trying to force quick game vs. man coverage.

Cam Jordan gets held almost every play. Hendrickson was held like a MF on his 2nd sack. The difference between those guys and Davenport isn't physical ability. It's motor. I expect more from him and hope he's just nicked up or something right now. But penalties aren't an excuse for giving up on plays or taking them off altogether.

The Texans are very good, and this was a quality win. I think it says a lot about the Saints' mental toughness more than anything.

What about those big conversions in the 4th? I’m not sure about the second one on the sideline, but the first one down the middle looked like man and Shon was trailing by three yards. Was Marcus supposed to have that?

I gotta go back and watch the film but IIRC it looked like zone where the QB just had too much time. Generally if Lattimore looks out of position, particularly in the middle of the field, it's probably zone. I am much more worried about the Saints underneath coverage than their secondary (referring to their LBs and nickel).

Good stuff. Payton pretty much affirmed two things you mentioned:

1. He admitted he struggled early with playcalling

2. He was furious that they let Hopkins beat them so many times. That was a huge focus for them coming in.

This was a great game by two great teams. It was a great win & while there are things that can improve & things that can be criticized, this was BIG BOY football at its finest for a 1st season game. There is a very good chance we will see this team again before this season is over.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom