Injuries and medical staff for pro athelets (1 Viewer)

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So reading Armsteads quotes after the SF game ( regarding his return ) and him stating that "nobody is 100% at this point in the season" got me thinking about all these season ending injuries.

Im sure 90% of players, at this point in the season, play through soreness, pain etc. Im guessing its up to the medical staff to evaluate and recommend what to do. But we also know that players dont want to lose their position to another due to missing time. So i guess what im wondering is how many players have a specific pain, they self-diagnose and feel that its ok to continue or simply not say anything for fear of being stigmatized "injury prone" ( not notify the medical staff for fear of finding something is potentially putting you on the bench for a bit )? How do you combat that "stigma" for the players to be fully forthright and coming forward ?

How do us fans try to quell the rash of labeling a player injury prone? ( shoot there was a guy on the Davenport thread ) I mean, the amount of physical punishment and exertion by 300lb men for 3 hours will always take its toll. All the hits, the tackles, the leg shots, the shoulders...etc etc. I keep marveling at just how fit these men are, to do this for 20-25 weeks per year yet also find myself sometimes thinking, "geez this guy cant stay healthy". I think there is some luck involved in that equation.

Anyway, i guess what im attempting to say is for those labeling guys injury prone or wondering why they cant stay healthy, just think of it like this.

There are only 1500~ players in the NFL. Of those, only 704 are starters. Per team, maybe 10-15% play 80% of snaps or more each week. Of those, maybe 10-20% will end up with a season ending injury. ( so 6-10 players ). Its an amazing feat to finish out a season healthy. Its even MORE amazing for skill position players like WR, RB to never expereince any sort of major injury in their careers. ( that i believe is somewhat genetic ).

It also falls on the coaches in the way they demand that players play through pain and take one for the team.

I know because I've heard that line a few times. Get them back out there no matter the cost.

There's a side to professional sports that we as fans don't know about and will never know about.

"You don't know and you never will know!!"....................................Jim Mora

I've been thinking about something similar. In particular, you can never be considered great unless you are available on a consistent basis. Whatever HOF player you mention, they were on the field the majority of the time. I mean a few weeks back I recalled how Ricky Jackson had this crazy helmet after breaking his jaw in a a car accident. Drew, Peyton, and even Farve, they played. Even though Cam is not flashy with sacks, I don't he's missed any serious time ( maybe a couple of games after we wrapped things up at the end of the season).
I keep thinking about Sean Lee with Dallas. He had all the attributes to be a great LB but he could never stay healthly a whole year. Dallas didn't wait for him. They just drafted his eventuall replacements. I'm not saying Davenport or Rankins are going to turn out this way but if you can't stay healthy you can't be considered among the greats. I know this is a tough sport but you've gotta play to be great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom