Injuries on defense (1 Viewer)

Not being able to catch a break defensively as it pertains to injuries makes you wonder if the style of offense we play will ever be conducive to good defensive teams due to the amount of snaps they are likely to encounter in a game.

More snaps = More Chances for Injuries.

How do you balance that out? As Clemms said...keeping more RB's than CB's when you are a passing team doesn't make much sense. Seems more likely you'll be thinner at CB before RB because of the usage rate of each groups.

I think 2010 really had a profound effect on Payton. That was the year we lost damn near every RB If I'm not mistaken and it was the last time that SP has allowed us to experience that...possibly at the expense of other positions.

It's been a few years, but I think in 2014 I laid out the stats (probably from football outsiders) that our defense actually had to defend the 4th least amount of drives in football and were bottom 5 in total defensive snaps.

The basic gist was that it's a myth that our passing offense keeps the defense on the field 1) longer and 2) for more snaps.

If anything, the fact that we are so good offensively helps keep them off the field more.

At any point, is it fair to start pointing the finger at our trainers?

We could have survived with Breaux staying healthy. He was the player we absolutely could not lose.

It sucks so bad.

When we started training camp the following players were penciled in as starters.

Keenan Lewis
Delvin Breaux
Dannell Ellerbe
Sheldon Rankins
Kikaha, Hau'oli

That is nearly half the starting defense. Injuries happen in the NFL but we can't ever seem to catch a break on defense. I guess that happens when you have a CB that spent the majority of the last two seasons injured, a LB that has an injury list a mile long and a defensive linemen that has had more ACL replacements than seasons played but still.

This was just week 1.

Three of our top 4 corners when training camp started are gone for the majority of the season. Only one left standing is PJ Williams who played in his first NFL game yesterday.

This is why you can never have too many good corners. This is also why you don't carry 6 RB's on a roster.

This why your biggest FA acquisition shouldn't be a TE when you've had the worst defense in the league the last two years.

You always hear that it's a game of attrition, but the amount of injuries we've already suffered is ridiculous. No team is 5-players deep at corner. Losing Lewis, Swann, Wilson and now Breaux is just devastating. PJ played well, but Crawley just didn't seem ready. Maybe we can play around and bring Finnegan back and play Bell in nickle and dime situations. I don't know the answer, but to see the cupboard that bare going into just week 2 is painful.

You always hear that it's a game of attrition, but the amount of injuries we've already suffered is ridiculous. No team is 5-players deep at corner. Losing Lewis, Swann, Wilson and now Breaux is just devastating. PJ played well, but Crawley just didn't seem ready. Maybe we can play around and bring Finnegan back and play Bell in nickle and dime situations. I don't know the answer, but to see the cupboard that bare going into just week 2 is painful.

Yeah, I'm looking at Seattle’s roster on wiki right now and they’re carrying five corners right now. I imagine that their defense would look a little different if they lost every corner currently on their roster except Jeremy Lane...

Not being able to catch a break defensively as it pertains to injuries makes you wonder if the style of offense we play will ever be conducive to good defensive teams due to the amount of snaps they are likely to encounter in a game.

More snaps = More Chances for Injuries.

How do you balance that out? As Clemms said...keeping more RB's than CB's when you are a passing team doesn't make much sense. Seems more likely you'll be thinner at CB before RB because of the usage rate of each groups.

I think 2010 really had a profound effect on Payton. That was the year we lost damn near every RB If I'm not mistaken and it was the last time that SP has allowed us to experience that...possibly at the expense of other positions.

Year in, year out we are one of the best teams in the lwague with time of possession, time per drive, plays per drive and points per drive. The only reason our defense is even on the field half the time is vecause they suck. The offense affords them luxuries iver the last decade no other defense in the NFL has had and they've managed to suck in spite of that.

It's why you also don't rely on injury prone players to be starters. Lewis, Ellerbe, Kikaha and so many more on our roster are injury prone. Why trade for Ellerbe when you're lucky if he makes the field 4 times in a season. Just isn't worth it.

This a million times. It's like we're running a hospital where we pay the patients millions of dollars. We need to pass on all these injury prone rookies and free agents. With FAs we don't even use the injury as a bargaining tool and the contract always comes back to bite us. That's arrogance thinking it worked with brees it'll worked with anybody. Payton, Loomis or both are responsible and it's sad there's no accountability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've acquired a bunch of injury prone players why would any person be shocked that Kikaha, Swann, Lewis, and Ellerbe are all injured. It's a depth disaster waiting to happen. It's like building a house on sand as a foundation

When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England.

I agree with everything in this thread. However, our Defense is always gonna struggle until we get any kind of pass rush. And I know Rankins is hurt, I think he will be a great player for us, but I don't remember the last time we got any kind of pressure. For once it would be great to be able to get a turnover or 2.

To be fair most of those players have injury histories dating back to college.

Swann, Kikahu, Ellerbe, Breaux.

Only Rankins. And i think he broke his other leg in college.

Its freak bad luck but its also getting players who don't have history of injury because they always get injured again.

Must be the Pelicans jinx seeping from their practise place

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom