Injury to Brees gives Saints fan a look-see into the future (1 Viewer)

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The biggest news in the last week as it relates to the future of the New Orleans Saints was not the injury to one of the opposing phalanges on the throwing hand of the city's redeeemer quarterback. Come Thanksgiving Drew will be back, carving turkey and carving up defenses. Even for piano concertists, thumb injuries are survivable.

The bigger threat to Drew than his th'ore thumb is father time. Drew turned 40 on January 15. Forty is the witching age for NFL quarterbacks. Its when their biological football clock stops ticking. No one wins the race with father time, he is like 40 billion and 0 lifetime against humans.

The bigger news for future of the Saints, which barely made second page news, was the five year extension signed by Sean Payton. Like with the proverbial chicken and the egg, its hard to say what came first or what accounts most for the Saint's unprecedented success since 2006, Drew Brees or Sean Payton? Would either be who they are without the other? Would the Saints have a superbowl without one or the other?

That's an impossible question to answer. Its safe to say, however, both would have enjoyed some success without the other. Who knows, Matt Ryan might have two super bowls with Payton as his coach. Ron Rivera might have two with Brees as his quarterback.

The next few weeks will offer Saints fans a glimpse into the future they hoped would never come, a future without Drew Brees. Regardless of how Drew heals, the odds are great his time will run out before Payton's extension does. Our quarterback whisperer Coach will be whispering in someone else's ear, scary and sad as that thought might be.

For the next few weeks, the ear Payton will be whispering into will belong to Terry Bridgewater. Much of the conversation thus far has been about Bridgewater and whether the Saints can win enough games with him to stay in the hunt until our thumbhurt hero returns.

Yes, its an audition for Bridgewater. But its also an audition for a Breesless Sean Payton. Jerry Lewis had a great career after he and Martin broke up. Sonny didn't do so well without Cher.

My money is on Payton. He will bring the best out of Bridgewater and the Saints will stay competitive while Drew heals.

Its amazing how quietly the Saints locked up their coach for the next five years. Sean Payton would be the hottest coach to hit the open market in the last five years had he not signed. I feel so much better about our future with Payton locked up.

I don't know he will ever find another Drew Brees, but you know, the graveyards are filled with indispensable people. I think Payton will tune Teddy up. I don't see Teddy as the successor, but we are sure about to get a glimpse of what it will be like in the future. And we will get at least some idea of how good our coach really is. Getting Payton locked up for five years is far and away the biggest story of this week.

Actually, no it doesn’t. When Brees retires, the Saints will have an offseason to prepare for it and address the roster... It’s a little different when he gets injured on a fluke during a game 2 weeks into the season.

Actually, no it doesn’t. When Brees retires, the Saints will have an offseason to prepare for it and address the roster... It’s a little different when he gets injured on a fluke during a game 2 weeks into the season.

Well in fairness to me all I wrote was it gives us a look-see or glimpse into the future, not a videotape of the actual future. :D

I think Payton is a quarterback whisperer, by the way. So how he tunes up Bridgewater and prepares him actually does give us some idea of his coaching abilities.

Jeff Fisher nearly ruined Goff and Foles when he had them. Look how they did in short time with good coaches.

The silver lining that I see in this is that the Saints will get a chance to see how the offense runs with Bridgewater as the quarterback before signing him to a long-term contract.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom