Inmate or Incarcerated Individual? (1 Viewer)

‘reasons’ is doing a lot of work here
I would hope that in the last 5-10 years, we have seen enough ambiguity and outright malfeasance in the criminal justice system to appreciate that not every incarcerated individual is incarcerated for a ‘good’ reason

Just like not every incarcerated individual is a criminal and there are puhlenty of criminals not incarcerated
The point is over there.

101718SB.jpg

Sleeping Beauty

or

Attractive Person Consciousness Suspended

‘reasons’ is doing a lot of work here
I would hope that in the last 5-10 years, we have seen enough ambiguity and outright malfeasance in the criminal justice system to appreciate that not every incarcerated individual is incarcerated for a ‘good’ reason

Just like not every incarcerated individual is a criminal and there are puhlenty of criminals not incarcerated

You can say the same thing of inmates :hihi:

This is the exact same discussion as the slave-enslaved person discussion, 2 different terms that describe the exact same condition, where people who most likely than not have never been in prison decided the original term was offensive/demeaning; wonder why they went with "individual" rather than "person".

They should've gone with "institutional associates".

This is the exact same discussion as the slave-enslaved person discussion, 2 different terms that describe the exact same condition, where people who most likely than not have never been in prison decided the original term was offensive/demeaning; wonder why they went with "individual" rather than "person".

I submit "Freedom-challenged persons"

The more I think about this the more I've come to appreciate the distinction and find enslaved person to be a better term.

Slave is a little ambiguous when it comes to assigning culpability for the condition. In today's white washed school system where half the states are trying to 1984 anything that might reflect poorly on our white ancestors, the difference between a benign conditional description such as "slave" and a reference to one who is enslaved forcibly by others is a pretty big detail to overlook.

It's like this.

I lived in TX during grad school. some people like Texas and would refer to themselves as "Texans." I'd be absolutely appalled to be referred to as such, but I did live there and would prefer to find some better description such as "temporary resident with no intention to remain"

Or, for god's sake, Mississippi. Mississippian vs "person involuntarily located south of heaven."

The more I think about this the more I've come to appreciate the distinction and find enslaved person to be a better term.

Slave is a little ambiguous when it comes to assigning culpability for the condition. In today's white washed school system where half the states are trying to 1984 anything that might reflect poorly on our white ancestors, the difference between a benign conditional description such as "slave" and a reference to one who is enslaved forcibly by others is a pretty big detail to overlook.

I am not sure you are joking or not. Who the heck thinks "slave" is a "benign description"?

In any case, this discussion is about institutional associates living in secured State-subsidized housing , not human beings deprived of their freedom and forced into unpaid labor while treated as property.

I drew the comparison because in both instances, some people have decided they feel better about themselves saying this word instead of this other word.

I am not sure you are joking or not. Who the heck thinks "slave" is a "benign description"?

In any case, this discussion is about institutional associates living in secured State-subsidized housing , not human beings deprived of their freedom and forced into unpaid labor while treated as property.

I drew the comparison because in both instances, some people have decided they feel better about themselves saying this word instead of this other word.

I wasn't talking about prisoners and don't care. They did what htey did to themselves.

Slaves didn't.

They were enslaved by others.

With public schools being overrun by fanatics and removing images of black people from classrooms and limiting discussion to prevent any negative association between our historic racist past, i think its evermore important to make sure that the kids are taught that those people were enslaved.

Remember, here in Florida, we are teaching that slaves liked where they were. The masters were benevolent. It may be splitting hairs or unnecessary redundancy to you because you have the understanding you do, but it's not so clear to a 9 year old and, as such, the specificity is useful.

Slaves were not voluntarily enslaved. Cowboys fans chose their plight.

If they were really focused on the humanity aspect, prisons would not be for profit, focus on actual reform and then not stigmatize them for life once out of prison but yeah let’s change one word & it will all be so much better.

Nobody said it would all be better.

I bet in the span of 2-3 words we could find the limit of this philosophy whether directed at you or a loved one
Sticks and stones may breaks my bones, but I won't call for legislation against a word.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom