Inquiry about Bogalusa Paper Mill smell (1 Viewer)

I'm looking at maybe purchasing some property about 4.5 south of the Bogalusa paper mill. With my allergies and bad reaction to foul odors I'm wondering if the ordor from the mill would be noticeable there. I'm going to visit the area soon but would like an honest evaluation from someone who knows that area.

I grew up about 10 miles from a paper mill. We could smell it a few days a year after a rain followed by sun.

I imagine if you’re be 4.5 miles away you would smell it much more often depending on wind direction.

Most paper mills have installed measures to minimize the odors these days. Although, with EPA regulations falling left and right, you may want to stay tuned.

The Chemical Division that was in Bogalusa shutdown, the smell hasn't been around for a number of years.

I thought so - my son played flag football for his school in Slidell and they would play one of the schools in Bogalusa once or twice a season and I never smelled anything. This was 3 years ago,

I grew up in Sterlington, so I could have got the smell from either one of them. I also worked several years at the papermill in West Monroe when it went through a major addition. At that time I lived close to Wham Brake which had a lot of smell also.

sometime late 70s or early 80s the storage bins at the cotton gin on the river caught on fire and they had to soak it. That cotton went sour and the smell all over the city would make you long for the good old paper mill smell.

We used to go up there to play football in high school. Was horrible.
How long ago was this? If I'm reading the comments correctly, it seems that people who use to live there, go there, years ago had bad experience with the odor, but others who have there recently say its gone (chemical division closed).

WELCOME TO THE GOULA !!!
Worked in many a paper mill and that drive over the bridge on 63 was horrible. Crossed it many a day going to Chevron or the like while living in Lucedale. Yuck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom