Inside the NBA (Shaq, Barkley, more) speak on Brees (1 Viewer)

Saintsphere

1 day I'll add a second Lombardi to my pic. 1 day.
Reaction score
Barkley defends Brees strongly
Shaq announces he was in the team meeting today and the players accepted his apology and they want him to do more. Shaq also says he accepts Brees apology.
Kenny Smith said he was offended and hurt

Last edited:
Thanks for the post.

Why was Shaq in the Saints team meeting?

Charles freaking gets it! Kudos Chuck.
Still seems like they are reacting to selected snippet out of context rather than the whole interview, which agree or not is the exact same viewpoint he has given all along.

But Barkley is 100% correct about the social media assassinations.

He was just dropping in to tell everybody that for a great low rate they could find online, they should go to the general and save some time.

Absolutely brilliant.

Thanks for the much needed laughs 😅

Shaq is living an interesting life right now. He's basically the Cosmo Kramer of the sports world ... and I mean that in a good way. Something going on in sports? Shaq is on the scene.

Just about everybody respects Shaq, especially fellow athletes. Person to person, Shaq knows when to be funny, when to be serious, when to speak, and when to listen. He's a good guy to have around in situations like these -- O'Neal's step-father was an active-duty Army seargent, Shaq spent formative years growing up on military bases, and he was a high-profile collegiate and professional athlete. Shaq understands pretty much every angle there is to understand here. If Payton and/or some of the players sought Shaq's advice here, it was a good move.

Per Shaq, he was actually scheduled to speak with the Saints team two weeks ago. Video link here, fast-forward to about 3:33.

I do not like the stance that Smith took in saying "don't ask me what you can do to help, you should already know." Though that is not a direct quote, it is a basic summary of one point he made. I personally believe it is super important to have input from the African American community on how to help. The main reason many people are angry with Drew is because they say, "he just doesn't get it, he can't possibly understand because of his 'privilege'."

I think one of the best demographics to consult on how to effectively and efficiently devote resources and time to achieve a certain goal of that demographic would be the demographic striving to achieve that goal. Granted, I do believe more than just those in the African American community want the same goal (real equality for all). I believe if Drew just said here's a few million dollars to help further your cause, it would come off as him being disinterested, disingenuous, and disconnected. Which is what people are saying about his comments. Asking "how can I help" and listening to the response is part of gaining insight, empathy, and understanding of the actual needs of African American community rather than what he may perceive their needs to be.

I also believe people who are not willing to forgive others for their mistakes are setting a very dangerous precedent. I feel a lot of people who have dismissed Drew's apology as fake and insincere are hurting the overall goal of influencing substantive change. If you believe that others cannot be truly sorry for a mistake and willing to work to change a behavior or belief to redeem himself or herself, you are tacitly insinuating that you do not believe that person will ever be of use to your cause and will always stand in the way of you achieving your underlying goal of change. This is counter productive on so many levels.

Last edited:

SP in the past has brought people into meetings to hear different perspectives

I think Snoop Dogg was in one a few weeks ago speaking about celebrity and all that comes with it downfalls and advantages etc

Avery Johnson has spoken a few times in the past

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom