Insider: The Mad Bomber sees 'special quality' in Drew Brees (1 Viewer)

lvsaintsfan57

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted already... Good article on USA Today.

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
Forty one years ago, Daryle Lamonica's 2-0 Oakland Raiders detonated for a still-record 95 points their first two games.
The original "Mad Bomber" is a fan of this season's demolition man, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees. The 93 points rung up by the 2-0 Saints are second-most to Lamonica's 1968 squad.
"The Saints are on a roll and Drew's the leader who can get them the big one," Lamonica said. "He's outstanding and still under the radar of Tom Brady, Peyton and Eli Manning. But he's been one of the top quarterbacks for three years now."

As a two-time AFL MVP, the former Raider appreciates a quarterback playing at an MVP level.
"I enjoy watching Drew," Lamonica said. "It brings back fond memories."
Lamonica says Brees' quick release, vision and textbook mechanics defy scouts who doubted whether a 6-foot passer from Purdue could make it, never mind emerge an elite quarterback with a league-best 97 touchdowns the past 50 games.
"Drew's got great pocket presence," Lamonica said. "He's showing you don't need to be 6-6 in order to be an all-pro quarterback. The most important thing is to have that accuracy and leadership."
With nine touchdown passes for 669 yards, Brees is on pace for a record 72 touchdowns.
Says San Francisco 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan, whose 2-0 team leads the NFC West: "You see a quarterback and a head coach (Sean Payton) on the exact same page. When the Saints go in on Sunday with their game plan, there's so much confidence in the guy pulling the trigger, it's like they're playing seven on seven."
Lamonica says the Saints have a defense to help Brees take them to a championship he wants more than any record.
"Drew has that special quality in a quarterback," the Mad Bomber said. "The Saints believe in him."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-09-23-nfl-insider_N.htm

Great read... Thanks for posting. I didn't know Drew led the league in TDs thrown over the past 50 games..

Nice article. I remember the Mad Bomber well. And behind him came Kenny Stabler, who led the Raiders to their first Super Bowl under a very young and yet unproven head coach John Madden... after a few years got traded to the Saints and that's how I started watching the Saints and became a fan.

Brees is getting more press than ever, and deservedly so. This article is on my FB status now! :9:

Last edited:
kfran said:
I didn't know Drew led the league in TDs thrown over the past 50 games..

Remember Brady was hurt all last year. That took him out of it.

Remember Brady was hurt all last year. That took him out of it.

drew led them over the 3 yr period prior to that injury as well...

granted, brady had the better single season scoring.

No. 3 was a heck of a quarterback for the Silver and Black. Came out of Notre Dame.

But, my biggest memory of Lamonica was in a game against the Pittsburgh Steelers in Oakland. The Steel Curtain defense brutalized Lamonica that day. I believe Pittsburgh won 6-0, but I remember thinking that, if they extended the game to 20 quarters, the Raiders still would not have scored against that defense.

Lamonica was a good QB at Notre Dame (when ND was really bad in the years before Ara Parseghian). He was originally a back-up QB in Buffalo, playing behind Jack Kemp. In 1967, he was part of one of the most lopsided trades in NFL history. Lamonica went to Oakland in exchange for QB Tom Flores. Flores lasted 2 years in Buffalo (as a back-up) and Lamonica went to Oakland and became a star. He had Warren Wells, Cliff Branch, and Fred Bilentnikoff as WRs, which didn't hurt. The Snake took over in 1973, and Lamonica played briefly in the WFL for the Southern California Sun. The coach of the Sun was Tom Fears!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom