Instead of arguing over who we should take in the draft (1 Viewer)

purgatorysaint

Very Banned
Reaction score
we should all realize that it won't matter a whole lot until Gibbs is gone or he changes his play calling. No matter who we take they need to be coached up and I am not sold on Gibbs being the man to do that. His passive playcalling doesn't do the defense any favors and he really needs to become more agressive.

Put it this way...........would Colston have turned into the great wideout that he is if Haslett was still in the big easy?

we should all realize that it won't matter a whole lot until Gibbs is gone or he changes his play calling. No matter who we take they need to be coached up and I am not sold on Gibbs being the man to do that. His passive playcalling doesn't do the defense any favors and he really needs to become more agressive.

Put it this way...........would Colston have turned into the great wideout that he is if Haslett was still in the big easy?

Maybe if Haz was still in town, Brooks would still be our starting QB. Yikes!

Gibbs should have no excuses in everyone stays healthly this year.....If we don't end up in the top 10 defenses... then I think he should go.

In all fairness to Gibbs, it is very difficult to be aggressive when you have marginal players. The Saints had to camouflage a lot of its inadequacies on defense. I think with a different lineup, Gibbs will call a more aggressive defense.

sorry, but I completely disagree with your opinion. With very, and I mean, very few quality NFL starters, Gibbs in 2006 had that defense in the top 15 in the league. They gave him no upgrades personnel-wise in the offseason before 2007, and on top of that, had several injuries that he didn't have to worry about in 2006, along with an offense that started slow. Vince Lombardi couldn't have done much better with the personnel situation he had in 2007. Let's see what Gibbs can do with some quality starters on defense first before calling for his head.

Dude I just can't wait to get this draft over-with... tired of reading dreamer mocks... tired of "experts" telling everybody who the Saints WILL pick... as if they have keys to the Saints war room... I love this time of year... :rolleyes:

Gibbs called much more aggressively in 2006.

purgatorysaint said:

Yes

Most importantly though, it's irrelevant. Gibbs is here next year.

He was passive in his play calling on defense because he had to be because our secondary was so bad. He couldn't be aggressive and blitz as much as he wanted to. So he had to rush 4 and drop linebackers into zones and Jason David couldnt keep up his end of the bargain. If David could cover anybody he could blitz LBer's more often or Safeties. A good Secondary gives him enough flexibility to be aggresive. He kept thinking we could get pressure with our front 4 and it was not consistant enough to cover for Jason David.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom