Intelligence whistle-blower report being withheld from Congress (Ukraine/Biden) (3 Viewers)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This story has legs growing quickly. Long and short of it is that there was a report under federal whistleblower regulations (meaning that someone on the inside is reported alleged wrongdoing and is subject to protections) that went to the intelligence inspector general. And that has now triggered a standoff - under federal statues where the matter is an “urgent concern”, it must be reported to the intelligence committee chairs in both houses of Congress and the report provided to them, or the Director of National Intelligence appears before them to testify about it. Here the IG concluded it was an urgent concern and notified the committee chairs.

The DNI says not so fast, this isn’t really an urgent concern so you don’t get to see the report. And they rely in part on some sound legal arguments and some (obviously fake) interest in protecting the whistleblower from abuse.

And now someone has apparently leaked that the subject matter involves a high level administration official (quite possibly Trump) made a promise to a foreign leader that was troubling enough for this whistleblower to report it and the IG to conclude it was an urgent concern.

Hmm. Where this is different than the other committee subpoena issues is that there is a statutory requirement that goes directly to the process in question - and the purpose of the statute is to allow Congress to meaningfully perform its intelligence and executive oversight roles. It gets to some pretty deep questions of the roles, relationship, and privileges of the legislature versus the executive.

Schiff sounded an alarm last week after acting Director of National Intelligence Joseph Maguire intervened to block Congress from receiving the contents of the still-secret whistleblower complaint. Maguire, according to Schiff, diverted it to the Justice Department and told the committee he would refuse to share it because it involved someone outside the intelligence community and might involve matters of confidentiality and privilege.

Schiff ripped Maguire for breaching a law that requires him to share with Congress any whistleblower complaint deemed urgent by the intelligence community's inspector general. He said the confluence of factors led him to believe the complaint involved Trump or other senior executive branch officials.

But DNI general counsel Jason Klitenic insisted in a letter to Schiff on Tuesday that Maguire had followed the letter of the law in blocking the transmission of the complaint to Congress. The whistleblower statute governing his agency, he said, only applies when the complaint involves a member of the intelligence community. Because it was aimed at a person outside the intelligence community, he said, the whistleblower statute does not apply to this scenario.

Under the statute, Klitenic stated, deeming a whistleblower complaint "urgent" is only valid when it applies to conduct by someone "within the responsibility and authority" of the DNI. Therefore, he said, after consulting with the Justice Department, he determined the complaint did not qualify as an "urgent" concern requiring transmittal to Congress.

Last edited:

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There’s a brand new WaPo article. I’ll get it.

Edit: Crappy Xfinity Internet is down and I’m using my phone to try to read it and it’s not going well.

The gist I got from TV is that it was a promise made by Trump to a foreign leader during a phone call. Both WaPo and NBC News are confirming that it was Trump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, like most things political that article is short on facts. How are we to know whether or not the whistleblower is in intelligence? Do contractors working for intelligence agencies count?
Actually I think few facts are known because it’s a sensitive matter.

The DNI is going to appear tomorrow in a closed session about it. Perhaps he will explain to Schiff’s agreement but it’s hard to see how if the DNI refuses to provide the details.

OP
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, like most things political that article is short on facts. How are we to jknow whether or not the whistleblower is in intelligence? Do contractors working for intelligence agencies count?
I doubt it’s a contractor - from the characterizations of Schiff and the DNI counsel, it’s someone within the intelligence community and high enough up to be privy to direct communications with the foreign leader in question. It sounds like the individual witnessed the communication live.

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting... If these people played their cards right, after the Trump Admin they could write books for $$$$...

Sure a lot of Whistleblowers coming out of the White House,,, In and out of the Investigations.

They never did figure out who wrote that piece for the Op Ed did we?

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting... If these people played their cards right, after the Trump Admin they could write books for $$$$...

Sure a lot of Whistleblowers coming out of the White House,,, In and out of the Investigations.

They never did figure out who wrote that piece for the Op Ed did we?
Well.. when there's smoke.

Reaction score
I think it was probably an emoluments clause violation based on a quid pro quo arrangement with the Saudis tied to the recent attacks in Saudi Arabia and this:
They are not the resort's only conspicuous guests. Earlier this summer, according to a staffer, a group of Saudi royals stayed at the resort for about a week at the tail end of extended travel, bringing a party of 25 people and more than a hundred pieces of luggage.
The timing of everything seems to fit together too well to just be coincidence,

Last edited:

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, like most things political that article is short on facts. How are we to know whether or not the whistleblower is in intelligence? Do contractors working for intelligence agencies count?
Are you more worried about the whistleblower or the fact the IG labeled it and his findings of "urgent concern"?

OP
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The whistleblower complaint that has triggered a tense showdown between the U.S. intelligence community and Congress involves President Trump’s communications with a foreign leader, according to two former U.S. officials familiar with the matter.

Trump’s interaction with the foreign leader included a “promise” that was regarded as so troubling that it prompted an official in the U.S. intelligence community to file a formal whistleblower complaint with the inspector general for the intelligence community, said the former officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

It was not immediately clear which foreign leader Trump was speaking with or what he pledged to deliver, but his direct involvement in the matter has not been previously disclosed. It raises new questions about the president’s handling of sensitive information and may further strain his relationship with U.S. spy agencies. One former official said the communication was a phone call.

J-Donk

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I think it was probably an emoluments clause violation based on a quid pro quo arrangement with the Saudis tied to the recent attacks in Saudi Arabia and this:
The timing of everything seems to fit together too well to just be coincidence,
The complaint isn't that recent is it? My understanding is the complaint was filed back in mid August.

OP
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The complaint isn't that recent is it? My understanding is the complaint was filed back in mid August.
It was filed August 12.

The complaint was filed with [IG] Atkinson’s office on Aug. 12, a date on which Trump was at his golf resort in New Jersey. White House records indicate that Trump had had conversations or interactions with at least five foreign leaders in the preceding five weeks.

Among them was a call with Russian President Vladimir Putin that the White House initiated on July 31. Trump also received at least two letters from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un during the summer, describing them as “beautiful” messages. In June, Trump said publicly that he was opposed to certain CIA spying operations against North Korea. Referring to a Wall Street Journal report that the agency had recruited Kim’s half brother, Trump said, “I would tell him that would not happen under my auspices.”
WashPo link above.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom