Intentional Safety? (1 Viewer)

if you remember correctly, reggie barely made it out of the end zone as it was... ever seen a fumble down there?

Once or twice.

We were taking time off the clock. Taking the safety on 3rd down is absurd risk aversion.

Because it was backwards. I think you are speaking of a shovel pass. Which the eagles ran early in the game. They ran a QB sprint out giving him the option of tossing it to the RB behind him (much like the college option) or shoveling it to Westbrook who was step for step with him inside. The pitch to Westbrook is a pass because it left his hand moving forward. i.e. When Brett Favre would underhand a ball to a receiver while falling to the ground. Backwards is a lateral so if it would have touched the ground it would be a live ball. i.e. Aaron Brooks.

Dear GAWD! Did you HAVE to go THERE? ( even mentioning brooks!) Those days for me are now, thankfully, long forgotten and out of my fractured psyche', now I may have to go back into therapy to shake the "has-been/brooks years"!

I think Payton still wanted a first down and that is why Brees took the snap. Brees was looking downfield the entire time he was running in the endzone. Otherwise the long snapper could've just snapped it through the endzone.

I think they should have lined up with no one back there and just snapped it out of the end zone.

Because it was backwards. I think you are speaking of a shovel pass. Which the eagles ran early in the game. They ran a QB sprint out giving him the option of tossing it to the RB behind him (much like the college option) or shoveling it to Westbrook who was step for step with him inside. The pitch to Westbrook is a pass because it left his hand moving forward. i.e. When Brett Favre would underhand a ball to a receiver while falling to the ground. Backwards is a lateral so if it would have touched the ground it would be a live ball. i.e. Aaron Brooks.

Got it that makes since just kind of freaked when he did it why not just walk out of the endzone??? Guess that would go down as a sack though and in this case itis a fumble.

When Brees took the intentional safety from the 1 yard line, he ran around the endzone and while he was still in the endzone, he threw the ball out of the side of the endzone. As a result, he grounded the ball out of the endzone, and the ref immediately signaled safety. Why did Philly not decline the penalty and take the ball at the Saints 1? Shouldn't this have been an imcompletion with a grounding penalty that Philly had the opportunity to decline?

Just a question. I definitely think it was the right offensive strategy.
48-21 then this comes up,WHY :jpshakehead:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom