Interesting draft day scenario (1 Viewer)

I would do it, if only just to have a legit entry in the hat for the Jadeveon Clowney sweepstakes.

You take that deal and you laugh about it. If Buffalo or Jax or Philly calls and offers you their 2nd rounder , plus a later pick (any of a 3rd,4th,5th,6th) plus their 2014 1st........you take it.
I think of it like this. The experts say the strength of this draft is in the 20 to 45 range. You trade down with any of those teams , you gain picks. You lose nothing and you drop down 18 to 20 draft spots , still putting you in that strong "20 to 45 tier of players" . No big drop off in player talent if you drop down.
You still have all the picks you went in this with , plus maybe one or two more , PLUS a very high 1st round draft pick next year. I don't see Buff or Philly or Jax doing anything good next year. Especially Jacksonville. That pick becomes power. It would give us 2 1st rounders next year in a draft where the top of the draft is much much stronger than it is this year. You have a shot at a true top notch player. A Clowney , a Jake Mathews , a Marquise Lee , an Anthony Barr. These are legit difference makers. Plus QBs like Johnny Football and Bridgewater from Louisville and Boyd from Clemson are gonna come out and be highly sought after. That pick would give you power. Yes......it's power "next year" , but if you play it right.......even though you wait a year........that could turn out setting you up big time for years to come. Just my worthless two cents though.

No trade! Sorry at this point, wait until next year should not be an option. We can get a better player in the first then in the second especially if we are going BPA.

That is in no way a fact. There are TONS of players that have been selected in the second round that blew away first round picks.

Especially with how deep this draft is at certain positions. Then you get a top 5 (probably) pick next year?! UMMM heck yes.

Take it for a chance at Clowney or Marqise Lee next year. Clowney will go number 1 or 2 depending on the team drafting 1st. Lee will go top 5-7.

Yes please! May I have another?.........are you kidding? This would absolutely be a coop for the Saints and may earn them an A+ from the experts that give out draft grades! I feel the same way as most people do about the talent between picks 30 thru 85. They all have impact player ability!

The trade we made with the Patriots was a low 2nd and next year's first to move up to a low 1st (28). Since we are getting a high 2nd and they are getting a mid 1st, that seems about equal. It's also close on the trade value chart...typically when a future pick is involved, you add a 1 to it (i.e. a 1st next year equates to a 2nd this year...that's why you'll see a lot of trades like Team A trades this year's 5th to Team B for next year's 4th). 2 high 2nd round picks is roughly equal to the #15 pick.

While I agree that this isn't the best move for the Jags, they may think otherwise. They can get a stud LT/DE/CB with the first pick, then get their franchise QB (they hope) in the same draft. This would also help boost attendance, which is something Jacksonville desperately needs.

^I like what you said, and I think it is an entirely possible scenario. The Jags would be pretty stoked to get a tackle and franchise qb, the new regime clearly gets that Gabbert is not the way to move forward.

Would be great to actually acquire some future picks instead of peddling them away to worry about the present. The great teams like NE/SF always find ways to obtain future draft picks and it's a currency that can be very useful in many forms.

That's a pipe dream. Top 5 pick next year is never realistic unless we bomb it this year.

No trade! Sorry at this point, wait until next year should not be an option. We can get a better player in the first then in the second especially if we are going BPA.

There is no one player that will bolt us into the Super Bowl. The offense is a given and there are a lot of unknowns on the defense. I think the scheme change and FA pick ups are gonna pay more dividends than one 1st round draft pick.

JAX first rounder next year could very well be #1 overall...dare I say Clowney...

The only way we get Jamie Collins is if we somehow get a 2nd round pick - so I say yes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom