Interesting draft day scenario (1 Viewer)

D-Mac26

Who Dat?
Reaction score
We are on the clock at 15. Joeckel, Fischer, Johnson, Ziggy, Jordan, Mingo, Jones, Austin, Star, Floyd, Milliner, Ogletree, Warmack, and Richardson are all off the board. That means Geno Smith is still on the board. Several teams in the top of round 2 have interest in moving up to take Geno Smith. We get a call from one of them, let's say the Jaguars. They offer us their 2nd round pick and their 1st round pick of 2014. If you're the GM, what do you do?

I would take that trade without much hesitation. I feel there isn't much difference between a player who we would consider here (Vaccaro, Te'o, Fluker, Patterson) and a player that COULD be available at 33 (Minter, Trufant, Rhodes, Watson, Patterson). Also, the 2014 draft class looks pretty outstanding at the top, which is where the Jaguars pick would likely pick...not to mention it could be #1 overall (hello Jadeveon Clowney).

I have a feeling some Saints fans would like this trade, but some would be upset if we traded out of the 1st round. What are your opinions on this scenario?

They'd take it in a heartbeat but that's never going to happen.

That's a typical trade for a team at the top of round 2 wanting to move back into the 1st round. Usually teams do this for a QB more than any other position. Geno Smith may not fall this far, but it is possible, considering the polarizing opinions on him.

Jags will be picking atleast in the top 15 next year so hell yes I'll take that pick.

But I would want more than their 2nd for this year. Probably 2nd and 3rd. We gave up a 2nd and next year's first just to move into the bottom of the 1st.

That would be a pretty dumb move for the Jags though, they may as well take him with their #2 overall and keep their 2nd and 3rd rounders and next year's picks.

I thought for a second you were going to ask if I would draft Geno, whewwwww......I would def. take that trade.

So the Saints drop out the 1st round and get the first pick of the 2nd round. And a potential top five pick next year...

I think I would have to pull the trigger on that one.

Jags will be picking atleast in the top 15 next year so hell yes I'll take that pick.

But I would want more than their 2nd for this year. Probably 2nd and 3rd. We gave up a 2nd and next year's first just to move into the bottom of the 1st.

That would be a pretty dumb move for the Jags though, they may as well take him with their #2 overall and keep their 2nd and 3rd rounders and next year's picks.

The trade we made with the Patriots was a low 2nd and next year's first to move up to a low 1st (28). Since we are getting a high 2nd and they are getting a mid 1st, that seems about equal. It's also close on the trade value chart...typically when a future pick is involved, you add a 1 to it (i.e. a 1st next year equates to a 2nd this year...that's why you'll see a lot of trades like Team A trades this year's 5th to Team B for next year's 4th). 2 high 2nd round picks is roughly equal to the #15 pick.

While I agree that this isn't the best move for the Jags, they may think otherwise. They can get a stud LT/DE/CB with the first pick, then get their franchise QB (they hope) in the same draft. This would also help boost attendance, which is something Jacksonville desperately needs.

No trade! Sorry at this point, wait until next year should not be an option. We can get a better player in the first then in the second especially if we are going BPA.

Absolutely would take it. Next year's draft at the top will be loaded, and Jacksonville's pick could be a very high one.

And two other reasons to go for it. One, the difference in grade this year between the 15th pick and a high second round pick is not big. Two, often even high draft picks are not productive in their first year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom