interesting draft statistics (1 Viewer)

Does this include the 2017 draft?
We as fans are rather spoiled by the incredible success of the 2017 draft. Every subsequent draft gets compared to it, and it would be almost impossible to equal--let alone surpass it-- in terms of quality.

Those charts are really telling. Maybe the talking heads should reevaluate their comments about the Saints' drafting strategy of targeting THEIR players. As one who HATES trading up, I know I'm rethinking my stance.

We as fans are rather spoiled by the incredible success of the 2017 draft. Every subsequent draft gets compared to it, and it would be almost impossible to equal--let alone surpass it-- in terms of quality.

Those charts are really telling. Maybe the talking heads should reevaluate their comments about the Saints' drafting strategy of targeting THEIR players. As one who HATES trading up, I know I'm rethinking my stance.
I don't mind the trading up...especially w/ our roster the way it is...we don't have many job openings so those 4th-7ths that we ditch to move up to get our guy don't matter because they probably weren't making hte 53 anyway.

I don't mind the trading up...especially w/ our roster the way it is...we don't have many job openings so those 4th-7ths that we ditch to move up to get our guy don't matter because they probably weren't making hte 53 anyway.
This is exactly correct IMHO. The reason I am coming around to the trading up strategy is that the Saints are a good team that needs improvements, not a rebuilding. Lower echelon teams have to try to build through the draft, and that's not the profile of the Saints.

i think that its a sound strategy if you have a solid roster and HOF QB, i dont think weve drafted that position well. the only problem i have with that strategy is when you have QB questions, if winston doesnt work out we dont have the ammo to get a top qb in the draft without selling the farm. if that doesnt work out we will be wasting the roster we currently have.

Unfortunately it hasn't just stopped with the 4ths-7ths... we've been way too loose with the 1s and 2s IMO.

i think that its a sound strategy if you have a solid roster and HOF QB, i dont think weve drafted that position well. the only problem i have with that strategy is when you have QB questions, if winston doesnt work out we dont have the ammo to get a top qb in the draft without selling the farm. if that doesnt work out we will be wasting the roster we currently havek
Also true. the consensus was that no fantastic QBs were in last year's draft. I am skeptical that Winston can carry this team to great success, but the alternative apparently was to trade up and get a rookie QB in a draft class that contained no truly stellar QBs. In my view, it was better to take a chance on Winston and provide him with high quality weapons. Until the Saints can sign a great QB, that's what we are stuck with. That great QB could turn out to be Winston himself, which is what we have to hope for.

Do we really want another Sean Canfield or Garrett Grayson in the draft? That's just a waste of a pick, and I'm glad the Saints didn't draft yet another low-round QB. For every Tom Brady there are several Sean Canfields.

I have no solution to the possible problem that will emerge if Winston really fails. As LFDave points out, the Saints don't have the draft capital to solve that problem. That is what worries me the most about the situation.

Unfortunately it hasn't just stopped with the 4ths-7ths... we've been way too loose with the 1s and 2s IMO.
Yeah...the Ruiz and Turner picks are iffy...Dav not so much because I've seen flashes from him...But Turner, if this past preseason is a measuring stick, he was getting stood up by 2nd team OTs. My point about the does it include 2017 was that draft was so strong, it skewed our results...otherwise we've been pretty meh.

Also true. the consensus was that no fantastic QBs were in last year's draft. I am skeptical that Winston can carry this team to great success, but the alternative apparently was to trade up and get a rookie QB in a draft class that contained no truly stellar QBs. In my view, it was better to take a chance on Winston and provide him with high quality weapons. Until the Saints can sign a great QB, that's what we are stuck with. That great QB could turn out to be Winston himself, which is what we have to hope for.

Do we really want another Sean Canfield or Garrett Grayson in the draft? That's just a waste of a pick, and I'm glad the Saints didn't draft yet another low-round QB. For every Tom Brady there are several Sean Canfields.

I have no solution to the possible problem that will emerge if Winston really fails. As LFDave points out, the Saints don't have the draft capital to solve that problem. That is what worries me the most about the situation.
If JW fails...we'll have to spend on Jimmy G or Jones...if I had to pick...I'd go w/ Jimmy G. At the very least he can get us Jimmy G/Alex Smith levels of success.

If JW fails...we'll have to spend on Jimmy G or Jones...if I had to pick...I'd go w/ Jimmy G. At the very least he can get us Jimmy G/Alex Smith levels of success.
There’s nothing wrong with going that route but it’s still like putting a band aid on the problem. Jimmy G isn’t a long term solution to solving the QB problem. Best case scenario is Jameis works out obviously. This next draft is supposed to be very QB deep, we may have to take a chance on one with the second. Here again if it doesn’t work out there’s virtually no improvements to the team through an entire draft class.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom