Interesting fact about Saints sack total. (2 Viewers)

Since the start of the 2006 season the saints have totaled 49 sacks, while just this season the Giants had 53.

Anyone surprised at this now after watching the Superbowl? Not that that was ever in question but wow what a difference between our D and the Giants D.

Anyone surprised at this now after watching the Superbowl? Not that that was ever in question but wow what a difference between our D and the Giants D.

it's pretty simple, the Giants front four gets pressure, and the Saints front four doesn't. Scheme-wise, I didn't see the Giants do anything incredibly different than the Saints. The Giants front four was impressive all night long.

It baffles me when people say our DL is good enough..

That we just need upgrade to the back seven..
That we are set there..

The only thing that that DL is set at is allowing opposing QB to have all the time in the world to make a picnic.

Last edited:
Remember when we led the league in sacks? This is sad.

We had Glover and Joe Johnson... hell those 2 guys had more sacks that year then our entire defense did this year (exagerrating)... I think Glover had like 17 from the 3-tech by himself ... :rant:

^Was only a few pieces away from being a great defense for the decade

Not only have we yet to recover, but we fell on our face making a no-sack, non game changing DE Charles Grant one of the highest paid at his position..

And we have people defending that his numbers are acceptable?
That he is worth every penny..

I understand that a poor pass rush can lead to less interceptions, but given that our interception rank is much worse than our sack or pass defended rank, I think it seems more likely that our inability to intercept is contributing to QBs feeling safer taking chances against us rather than taking sacks.

I enjoyed your entire post but just quoted the last paragraph because I know that a stout pass rush, will bring MANY more turnover's, especially INT's. A great pass rush can make a weak secondary seem really good.
You give any NFL QB 6 + seconds to throw, and it would not matter if the secondary was made up of all Champ Bailey's. They would get burned on a regular basis.

That is a sickening stat. Some say that sack totals are overrated. ~~
right, yet i remember when we were discussing resigning grant and i mentioned (along with several others) that he wasn't worth the money he wanted and pointed to freeney as the kind of DE who gets the big bucks how a *lot* of people kept saying "sacks are overrated" ... well they aren't, they're integral to stopping the other team, to turnovers, to field position, and ultimately to wins

i'd love to see putting grant as the 3tech, and putting cooper more, where grant has been.. well untill charles and will drop some weight back down.

right, yet i remember when we were discussing resigning grant and i mentioned (along with several others) that he wasn't worth the money he wanted and pointed to freeney as the kind of DE who gets the big bucks how a *lot* of people kept saying "sacks are overrated" ... well they aren't, they're integral to stopping the other team, to turnovers, to field position, and ultimately to wins

Well, sacks ARE overrated, but pressure isn't. Sacks are great, but Brees proved this year that pressure alone can force turnovers. Freeney is highly overrated, not just because sacks are themselves overrated, but because he has little impact on the game minus 1 or 2 plays.

Well, all of this is interesting, but the Saints had 32 sacks this year, and 38 last year, so they actually had 70 over the last two years. That still isn't great, but a far cry from a combined 49 sacks.

from nfl.com

****** '06 '07
--------- ---- ----
Grant 6 2.5
Smith 10.5 7
Wynn - 3.5
Whitehead 1 -
Cooper 1 0.5

Young 5.5 3
Clancy 0.5 -
Thomas 3.5 3
Lake 1 1

Shanle 4 -
Fujita 3.5 3
Simoneau 1 2
Simmons - 1

Harper - 4
Bullocks - 1
--------- ---- ----
****** 37.5 31.5

^I don't even know how we didn't end with whole number in team total sacks..LOL
I can't say much off of it.
Other than if you use injury as an excuse this season, we would have had 6 more sacks to break even with last season..
If that means anything

Last edited:
Every 4-3 team that has large sack totals have 2 things the Saints don't have: strong play from BOTH DT spots and at least 1 playmaking LB. Last year we had decent play from both DT spots (Hollis and Young) and this year decent play from 1 DT spot (Hollis), but never truly good. Either they had a good pass rush or they stopped the run, but never both and never consistency. And while I love Fujita, he isn't a playmaker. He's good, he makes a great #2 overall LB on a team, but not a stud. Most teams with high sack totals also have a speed rusher on the bench who comes in on 3rd downs. We can't rely on Charles and Will to beat 5-7 blockers.

I'm sorry, but Smith and Grant do not take on 5-7 blockers.
Big exaggeration.
Usually one on one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom