Interesting fact about Saints sack total. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Since the start of the 2006 season the saints have totaled 49 sacks, while just this season the Giants had 53.

That is a sickening stat. Some say that sack totals are overrated. That may be, but when the QB is sacked, that means that a loss of yardage has happened and that someone on the offense failed to do his job. And that can lead to a loss of confidence. Personally, I'd rather have the opponent's QB get sacked on 3rd and 26 as opposed to his completing a pass for a first down. :rant: :cussing:

Interesting? More like disgusting. Comes as no surprise though. How many times have we seen QB's sit back and pick us apart and never get touched by our Defense? I bet some didn't even have to have their jerseys washed for the next game.

In that game against the Patriots the Giants second and third stringers at DT and LB looked better than any of the saints players at those respective positions with getting pressure on the QB. We need a serious upgrade.

That sucks. That has GOT to improve. I couldn't care less if we add any offensive players this year in free agency or draft! It would be fine with me if all we do is build on the defensive side in both FA and draft! ALL DEFENSE!

Hmm, I'm starting to think Lawrence Jackson round 2, although I still like Shawn Crable and have him used like Julian Peterson in Seattle. Whatever happened to the days of the 4-3 OLB rushing the passer?

there is something else that bothers me about this sack total. The focus for last year was to get more turnovers and we ran more strip drills and tip drills etc. The reality is more sacks equals more turnovers, more pressure equals more turnovers, yet we still didn't run enough called blitzes last year.

We had 13 INT's this year. The Chargers had 30. Zero of our INTs came from LB/DL. 8 of the Chargers INT's came from LB/DL. The Chargers got another 6 INT's in the postseason, for a complete total of 36 INT's. While we could not get 1 INT/game in the regular season, they got 2 INT/game in the playoffs where two of the three QBs they faced were Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, against which they got 5 of their 6 postseason INT's.

While I agree that our pass rush is below average, I feel that our secondary and the ability of our linebackers to tackle and cover is a bigger issue. We ranked 19th in sacks this year, but 28th in interceptions. We all saw, especially early in the season, that our secondary have poor hands and dropped many interception opportunities. Also, the Saints had a grand total of zero interceptions by linebackers and defensive linemen this year. Most of our interceptions, besides, McKenzie, were cases of QBs lofting the ball way high and short while our secondary was getting burned and thus had lots of space to catch short passes. Also, we played a number of poor/backup qbs this year.

So, for any halfway decent QB, why ever take a sack against the Saints? If you throw the ball into traffic, the odds are that you will get away with it. The Saints defense is one you can take that kind of risk against.

So, before we upgrade the pass rush, lets try to work on catching interceptions and getting players who are good at doing that. Until then, no QB will have any reason to take a sack against the Saints. A dump off to a RB, TE or other short route will always be a good option against our zero INT linebackers. Any mistake will just mean an incomplete pass. Also, going deep is a great option even if players like David, Craft, Harper, or Bullocks have good coverage. The worst they are likely to do is bat the pass down, unless it is lofted short.

Also, we were 28th in INT but 17th in passes defended. So, I think that shows that our secondary has a problem catching the ball as well as other secondaries, not just that it has a problem getting to the ball, which it also does.

I understand that a poor pass rush can lead to less interceptions, but given that our interception rank is much worse than our sack or pass defended rank, I think it seems more likely that our inability to intercept is contributing to QBs feeling safer taking chances against us rather than taking sacks.

Last edited:
Move Grant inside, sign more edge rushers is one solution. I would back it. Grant could take the double teams, then open it up for Will Smith. Maybe a free agent and a mid rounder.

That stat justifies that if Ghoulston or Ellis falls to 10, we are stupid to be on the clock for more than 5 seconds.

Since the start of the 2006 season the saints have totaled 49 sacks, while just this season the Giants had 53.

Also keep in mind that the Saints pretty much depend on Smith and Grant to get the sacks, we have no pass rush linebackers and our 3tech DT reputation is for being a "hard worker" not a pass rusher.

Also keep in mind that the Saints pretty much depend on Smith and Grant to get the sacks, we have no pass rush linebackers and our 3tech DT reputation is for being a "hard worker" not a pass rusher.

Young isn't all that to me, but he has had a significant impact on our ends ability to get sacks/pressure. His loss during the season stuck out like a sore thumb. If we could get a guy who can really be a threat to account for in the middle that would make things wide open for Grant and Smith.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom