Interesting Moments in Saints History (i.e. Do you remember when...) (1 Viewer)

I remember Morten kicking a 60 yard field goal in the dome against Chicago that could have made it from about 69-70 yards. I always thought he would have been the one to break Dempsey's record

The unbelievable catch that Al Dodd made to set up Tom Dempsey's 63 yd FG.

When Charley Johnson and Billy Kilmer both threw 6 TD passes in the same game. (Saints won 51-42)

I hate to bring this up but do you remember Willie "Flipper" Anderson's 336 yard-receiving game against us? Or how about Jerome Bettis running for 212 yards? The pre-Payton days were just as the bounty season.

Actually the really bad times were pre-Mora. We've had some pretty bad teams since then but for the most part we've been at least competitive.

i remember being at a browns game and (like i always do] watching the scoreboard as to how the saints were doing------the day of the river city relay. by the time the final showed up on the scoreboard i was one of maybe 6 people in the whole stadium. i threw my hat over the 2nd tier in sheer horror.

Everyone remembers the Ricky Williams trade, and rightfully so. But if not for that trade, the worse trade might be Ditka's first year. We traded the #2 pick to the Raiders who selected the late Darrell Russell. We moved down 8 spots to the #10 pick for a second rounder and Daryl Hobbs. Then with the 10th pick when it seemed certain we would take Corey Dillon or Warrick Dunn, we took Chris Naeole. To worsen matters, we passed on Dillon who dropped due to character issues TWO more times. We ended up taking Rob Kelly and Jared Tomich.

Then, to fill our need at RB, we took Troy Davis who people were trying to compare to Barry Sanders. I remember practicing against the Vikings that year in preseason and people trying to get Vikings' players to say Davis was just like Barry. Forget the fact he was a straight-line who ran like he was a big back rather than someone who was barely 190 pounds wet. We also took Danny Wuerffel, Nicky Savioe, and Keith Poole in that draft. Some people were calling it the "All-White draft." Wuerffel did beat Manning the next season, Manning's rookie year, and threw a touchdown to Sean Dawkins in that game. But the talent level on those Ditka teams was some of the worst we had in the post-Mora years.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E1xqjWu8NJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one made me sick.

I remember when Aaron Brooks throws a pass to a wide open Joe Horn, who could of crawled into the end zone, only problem Joe Horn runs into a referee not only falling to the ground but missing the pass

I remember when Aaron Brooks throws a pass to a wide open Joe Horn, who could of crawled into the end zone, only problem Joe Horn runs into a referee not only falling to the ground but missing the pass

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jfnK48MrDYo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Of all the butt hurt we've given to Dallas over the years....two games in particular still leave me in awe. The first one was the complete pwnage we gave Emmitt Smith leaving him with like 9 yards rushing for the day. Frustration never looked so sweet like it did that day. The other was the Christmas day flood game where the Dome was like half empty due to a flood and our hapless Saints led by Delhomme beat down the Cowboys. We were not suppose to win...they left wondering what on earth just haplened...;)

Do you remember when Jim Haslett told Curtis Keaton that we were going to sign him if the Bengals cut him during a preseason game? The Bengals let him go and Haslett kept his word.

I am pretty sure we actually traded a pick from the next year's draft (4th?) to get him, which only made that acquisition worse. :covri:

I hate to bring this up but do you remember Willie "Flipper" Anderson's 336 yard-receiving game against us? Or how about Jerome Bettis running for 212 yards? The pre-Payton days were just as the bounty season.

I think that was a Sunday night game. I remember for sure that it took two double bourbons on the rocks to calm me down after that game.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E1xqjWu8NJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one made me sick.

The Browns first win that season. And sadly, Ricky had run for a bunch of yards.

I remember when Haslett wouldn't put Jake Delhomme in for an injured Aaron Brooks for none of the final three games. We went from 9-4 to 9-7. We lost by 1 point 32-31 to the Vikings on a ridiculous 2pt conversion where Culpepper dropped the ball and then picked it up and ran in for the score. Then we lost the next week to the previously winless Bengals. Finally, we lost 10-6 to the Panthers.

I think that move by Haslett personally started the Brooks versus Delhomme threads that became legendary around here.

I am pretty sure we actually traded a pick from the next year's draft (4th?) to get him, which only made that acquisition worse. :covri:

I think that was a Sunday night game. I remember for sure that it took two double bourbons on the rocks to calm me down after that game.

You are right. Ugh! Ugh! Haslett!

Everyone remembers the Ricky Williams trade, and rightfully so. But if not for that trade, the worse trade might be Ditka's first year. We traded the #2 pick to the Raiders who selected the late Darrell Russell. We moved down 8 spots to the #10 pick for a second rounder and Daryl Hobbs. Then with the 10th pick when it seemed certain we would take Corey Dillon or Warrick Dunn, we took Chris Naeole. To worsen matters, we passed on Dillon who dropped due to character issues TWO more times. We ended up taking Rob Kelly and Jared Tomich.

Then, to fill our need at RB, we took Troy Davis who people were trying to compare to Barry Sanders. I remember practicing against the Vikings that year in preseason and people trying to get Vikings' players to say Davis was just like Barry. Forget the fact he was a straight-line who ran like he was a big back rather than someone who was barely 190 pounds wet. We also took Danny Wuerffel, Nicky Savioe, and Keith Poole in that draft. Some people were calling it the "All-White draft." Wuerffel did beat Manning the next season, Manning's rookie year, and threw a touchdown to Sean Dawkins in that game. But the talent level on those Ditka teams was some of the worst we had in the post-Mora years.

Well remember in 98 when we passed on Randy Moss

I remember the 1988 draft. There was talk that we might go running back with the first pick. Some of the boards had us taking Thurman Thomas out of Oklahoma St. since he was slipping into the late 1st round. We picked up Iron Head Heyward and Thomas fell to the second round and was scooped up by Buffalo.

I remember feeling bummed about the pick. Iron Head was a character and had a few good games, but Thomas might have spruced up our lackluster offense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom