Interesting old NFL Primetime highlights (1 Viewer)

saintkreaux

Khan Johnson
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjPpYCn7RzA&feature=player_embedded

I was reading this (Chris Berman Was The Worst) article on Deadspin about Chris Berman's retirement and they linked to an old NFL Primetime from back in '91.

It was week 1 of the '91 season and the very first game they discussed was the Saints-Seahawks game. It had a bit of everything, Swilling dominating, Rickey Jackson destroying Dave Kreig's thumb, Swilling taking a pick for a score, Toi Cook receiving smelling salts on the sidelines (I know, right?), and finally rookie kicker John Kasay missing a 37-yard field goal with a chance to tie the game with time running out.

I just thought it was pretty awesome.

Wow, the music is terrible.

And note Robin Roberts, Pass Christian native and Southeastern (Hammond) alum.

"And it's a 37-yard field goal attempt for the rookie Jon Kasay"

:spit:

Holy crap!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vjPpYCn7RzA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was reading this (Chris Berman Was The Worst) article on Deadspin about Chris Berman's retirement and they linked to an old NFL Primetime from back in '91.

It was week 1 of the '91 season and the very first game they discussed was the Saints-Seahawks game. It had a bit of everything, Swilling dominating, Rickey Jackson destroying Dave Kreig's thumb, Swilling taking a pick for a score, Toi Cook receiving smelling salts on the sidelines (I know, right?), and finally rookie kicker John Kasay missing a 37-yard field goal with a chance to tie the game with time running out.

Awesome clip man...Football used to be so awesome back then and Berman and Jackson were so great back in the day. The thing that jumps out to me is that we knew right away that "Dave Krieg will be out 8 weeks." There were no games with injury reports back then. I miss that. A guy left the game, we knew right away, sometimes during the game, what the exact injury was and that a player would be out 4 to 6 weeks or whatever. There was no waiting for daily practice participation reports.

I could never get enough of this old clip from 1999:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AZ83nnODDjs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For those that remember, this is the year that Carolina basically had to run up the score on us, throwing bombs up 45-7 with seconds to go, in order to attempt to win a wild tiebreaker scenario. Ditka wasn't too happy and started going for two and doing onsides kicks just to try to prevent the Panthers from reaching their objective.

This clip had Jake Delhomme making plays for the Saints, Mike McKenzie making plays for the Packers. Amazing stuff.

Did anyone else notice the 25 anniversary season logo at midfield? We are now double that. At the time, 25 years seemed like a lot, now, not so much.

On another note, as great as vintage football was, I have no idea how we used to watch football without having the score, time, and down & distance on the screen at all times. :hihi:

Great find by the OP, but seeing an opponent receiver with 160 yards and 2 TDs and then a PI on the Saints late in the game to give up field position - it looked all to familiar other than the Saints getting the win :ezbill:

Awesome clip man...Football used to be so awesome back then and Berman and Jackson were so great back in the day. The thing that jumps out to me is that we knew right away that "Dave Krieg will be out 8 weeks." There were no games with injury reports back then. I miss that. A guy left the game, we knew right away, sometimes during the game, what the exact injury was and that a player would be out 4 to 6 weeks or whatever. There was no waiting for daily practice participation reports.

Did you catch when Tom Jackson was talking about the Cunningham injury, and he said "it just goes to show that you really need two good quarterbacks these days" if you're going to make a playoff run.

Nobody ever says that anymore - it just shows you where we were then, and that the rules changes to protect the quarterback have at least been successful for that purpose. They have had other consequences and the game is different, but we're past the time of needing "two good quarterbacks".

Awesome, awesome, awesome to watch some solid and mostly complementary football, eh? :)

Blades' stats showed that while the Dome Patrol pass rush was feared, QBs could on occasion burn a very average secondary if they survived the game long enough. But big ups to the Cajun Cannon for what I remember to be the only time he ever led a comeback win with a TD and not simply an Andersen field goal.

I could never get enough of this old clip from 1999:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AZ83nnODDjs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For those that remember, this is the year that Carolina basically had to run up the score on us, throwing bombs up 45-7 with seconds to go, in order to attempt to win a wild tiebreaker scenario. Ditka wasn't too happy and started going for two and doing onsides kicks just to try to prevent the Panthers from reaching their objective.

This clip had Jake Delhomme making plays for the Saints, Mike McKenzie making plays for the Packers. Amazing stuff.

I remember that day. Insane.

This thread is just another example of why I love Saintsreport so much !!!

The first jersey I ever owned was a Pat Swilling one. I eventually out grew it and looked more like I crop top. That's when I passed it on to my cousin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom