Interesting perspective of new Saints DC Ryan (from Dallas media) (1 Viewer)

rsonza

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Here's an interesting perspective of new Saints DC Rex Ryan, though from Brian-Allee Walsh. Let's hope RR has the same attacking style D like GW, but not w his attitude:

After talking with several well-respected members of the Cowboys' media corps, here is my abridged scouting report on R-squared:

-- His biggest critics inside the Dallas organization say he had "unsound philosophies'' and failed to put players in positions to succeed, such as playing zone coverage with press corners Mo Claiborne and Brandon Carr.

-- Last season, Ryan's second and last in Big D, the Cowboys allowed the most yards in franchise history (5,687). In his defense, injuries to a handful of starters and key subs plagued their defensive unit for much of the season.

-- The Cowboys had 16 takeaways in 2012, 29th fewest in the NFL.

-- Off the field, Ryan apparently loves the media spotlight, which won't necessarily play well in New Orleans with Payton (see Gregg Williams). The Dallas media viewed Ryan as a go-to quote during the week of the game and after games.

Slight edge to LSU choice of Cameron over Saints pick of Ryan for key coordinator jobs

I wasn't thrilled with the Ryan hiring, but maybe the Saints will be just the right place and this will be just the right time for him to succeed.

Well, Dallas has an over controlling owner who calls the shots with everything while surrounding himself with "yes men." Anyone working for Jerry doesn't have much chance at success.

Sean had success away from Jerry establishing a dynamic offense with New Orleans. Wade Phillips made a serious defense in Houston, arguably the best when healthy. I'm hoping the trend continues with Rob Ryan.

Everytime Ryan is set to speak to the local media, make sure a shrimp po-boy finds its way to him.

"is Rob going to talk today?"
Sean Payton: He's eating lunch right now.

The whole soundness thing scares me. We already have that problem.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Zone coverage man corners sounds familiar

Sent via Tapatalk

Those are accurate accounts of issues Ryan had while in Dallas. I am not in support of the Ryan hire, but I do want to add that the Cowboys Defense is fundamentally set up improperly imho. Dallas built it's entire team from the Outside - In. This means that the strength of their Defense is the perimeter, OLB, (FAST) ILB, and CB. That sounds great, I wish our Defense had strengths at these positions; but the issue is the middle of their defense was pitiful. As good as their best positions are, they are as bad at the other positions of DE, NT, and both Safeties. They have to have the worst Safeties in the league, their DE and NT are non existent in stopping the run and rushing the passer. Also, lets mention the lack of depth they have at any position on defense. One injury and everything dominoes down hill.
To me, this made Dallas one dimensional on Defense, because you always knew where the pass rush was coming from (Ware and Spencer). And they HAD to blitz to get pressure.
I doubt our talent on D is as good as Dallas has in some areas, but I think we are more versatile and smarter than the players Ryan worked with in Dallas. Hopefully we can get some more good, versatile talent in the draft to give him more to work with.

does this translate into the defense will play sloppy, undisciplined and wont know how to properly tackle?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom