Interesting perspective of new Saints DC Ryan (from Dallas media) (1 Viewer)

Well, Dallas has an over controlling owner who calls the shots with everything while surrounding himself with "yes men." Anyone working for Jerry doesn't have much chance at success.

Sean had success away from Jerry establishing a dynamic offense with New Orleans. Wade Phillips made a serious defense in Houston, arguably the best when healthy. I'm hoping the trend continues with Rob Ryan.

When Wade took over the DC duties in addition to HC duties in 2009, the Cowboys finished 20th in passing yards allowed and 26th in 2010. They also finished 31st in points allowed in 2010. Methinks the problem in Dallas has less to do with the coach and more to do with Jones.

When Wade took over the DC duties in addition to HC duties in 2009, the Cowboys finished 20th in passing yards allowed and 26th in 2010. They also finished 31st in points allowed in 2010. Methinks the problem in Dallas has less to do with the coach and more to do with Jones.

Now that is very interesting. Everyone thinks highly of Wade Phillips as a defensive coordinator, but these figures don't bear that out at all.

Too bad that there aren't more people like you that use logic before typing here and in the Dallas media.

I've been saying Jones is the problem for years. Jason Garrett is a great coach and wherever team he ends up next will be in good shape. It's really hard to try and coach when Jerry wants to run the show. When he realizes he's the problem (and that won't happen) they may be able to compete more effectively.

Ryan had to play the zone with Claiborne and Carr because Ware was the only healthy front-7 guy he had, and they were getting NO rush. Even good corners get beat if the QB has all day to throw. And Ware got hurt too.

Not making excuses for the dude but that was the reality (I live here in Frisco, TX too so I'm surrounded with Cowboy crap).

I hope he has enough brains not to play zone d HERE

this! I read that first line and I was all

tumblr_li0sydr9ox1qgd17ro1_400.gif

Those are accurate accounts of issues Ryan had while in Dallas. I am not in support of the Ryan hire, but I do want to add that the Cowboys Defense is fundamentally set up improperly imho. Dallas built it's entire team from the Outside - In. This means that the strength of their Defense is the perimeter, OLB, (FAST) ILB, and CB. That sounds great, I wish our Defense had strengths at these positions; but the issue is the middle of their defense was pitiful. As good as their best positions are, they are as bad at the other positions of DE, NT, and both Safeties. They have to have the worst Safeties in the league, their DE and NT are non existent in stopping the run and rushing the passer. Also, lets mention the lack of depth they have at any position on defense. One injury and everything dominoes down hill.
To me, this made Dallas one dimensional on Defense, because you always knew where the pass rush was coming from (Ware and Spencer). And they HAD to blitz to get pressure.
I doubt our talent on D is as good as Dallas has in some areas, but I think we are more versatile and smarter than the players Ryan worked with in Dallas. Hopefully we can get some more good, versatile talent in the draft to give him more to work with.

The positions of their strength is the right one. In this pass happy league pressure should come from the outside in a 3&4 alignment. They had 2 pretty darn good passrushers in Ware & Spencer, and they also had pretty good cover CBs, which is essential to have when putting pressure on the passer. So the setup was ideal.

I think their problems came from injuries. When you lose 2-3 guys on the starting lineup, it is felt, no doubt. If I compare their safeties to ours....theirs played better than ours. I felt our safeties were terrible last year under Spags....Their whole secondary was playing better than the Saints secondary.....especially the way they were used by Spags. Even if we say that the LBs were a wash......and their secondary better, then the only other area to look for is the DL..... C Jordan is a good DE, so he and Spencer cancel each other out....But Ware is just better than W Smith, and our Ellis didn't play as good to make the Saints DL better.

JJ is a problem, but they had some key injuries which was the main cause for their poor showing. I hope we can sign Spencer away from them, and must do something at the safety position in FA.......both Woodson and Reed should be available.....maybe we could land one of them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom